Menu

HELP!!! My neighbors are driving me NUTS!!!!!

We bought our home on 2 1/2 acres out of town a couple years ago & have really been enjoying the yard that we've been blessed with. However, I am really struggling with our "new neighbors." They moved in last fall. I guess they really are nice people, but they sit on their porch or in their back yard and watch us/our house like they are watching a movie or something. And to make matters worse, it's summer time & they don't like to wear clothes! My dd3 now comes running in the house saying things like "EEWWW, Mr. ______ is naked!" or "We can't play outside mommy, Mr. _____ is mowing his yard." Now he isn't really naked. He wears short cotton shorts, but since he is not a thin man, when he sits down, the shorts are not really visible any more. This is not appropriate for my 4 daughters to see when they walk out in the yard, plus, they kind of creep me out with their comments on how beautiful my girls are and how they would like to kidnap them. I'm sure they are harmless. They have given us no reason to think otherwise, but I tend to lean toward the overly cautious side when it comes to my kids, and comments like that combined with the staring etc. just creeps me out! Ok, enough...I think you get the picture...not thin neighbors, very little clothing...very nosy!!!!! So here's where I need your help. We need a privacy fence of some kind! CHEAP!! We don't have a lot to spend, but dh is very handy & can build or plant almost anything. Does anyone have any ideas for a CHEAP fence or barrier that would work year round? Fence, hedge that grows FAST & stays green or thick enough to not be able to see through it year round...anything would be greatly appreciated!

yes, bamboo grows quickly. I don't have any other frugal ideas, but just thought I say that if they ask why you are putting up a boundary just say something like 'Oh, we always planned on doing it and are just now able to' or something so they don't get their undies in a wad.

You may even want to check Craig's List to see if you can dig bamboo for free out of someone's yard. A lot of people hate bamboo once they plant it because it spreads quickly. But, it does make a nice screen (we have it between our house and our neighbors - we just try to stay on top of keeping it under control - ha!), and since you have sooooooooo much land, you'd probably decide it's a saving grace! Much better to see tall, wispy, green plants out the window than "naked" neighbors. It does best in sun, but we have some along our shadiest area, too, and it's doing fine though not as full as that in the sunny part of the yard.

Weeping privets make a gorgeous hedge, too. They really do need the sun, though, and they don't grow quite as fast as bamboo. But, once again, people tend to plant them in areas not suitable for their growth and then have gardener's remorse. They get tall and very wide. Check Craig's List for that, too.

A few years ago in our area, there was a rape and murder of a young adult woman by her neighbor who used to sit on his porch and watch her. I would be totally creeped out by your neighbor's scanty clothes, watchfulness, and comments. I agree with the others that you need some privacy between your home and theirs!

Edited by LizzyBee

No matter how I try, I just can't see the humor in the kidnapping comment. I would be very careful. Don't let your girls out of your sight! Usually first impression are right, so the fact that it weirded you out when you heard it, says something.

Check Craig's list for people who are getting rid of arbrivida. (I have no idea how to spell that and neither does the computer)

People who stared and , even jokingly, talked about kidnapping my children would soon learn that I keep guns in my home, ready to go. That would also encourage me to call me police officer bil and ask for a wee background check. - not funny.

On that note, you can find out if any registered sex offenders are living next door via an internet search. Just google registered sex offender and your city or state.

On that note, you can find out if any registered sex offenders are living next door via an internet search. Just google registered sex offender and your city or state.

This is a highly reccommended website for that:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Most likely, they aren't on there, but they're still weird.

I think you're thinking of arborvitae ;)

My husband suggests: shindo viburnum, leyland cypress, ligustrum or Russian olive. Check your zone for tolerance. He says it will take a couple of years no matter what you plant there (though he didn't say anything about bamboo except its invasiveness). He also says that now is not a good time to plant -- heat and lack of water.

Check Craig's list for people who are getting rid of arbrivida. (I have no idea how to spell that and neither does the computer)

People who stared and , even jokingly, talked about kidnapping my children would soon learn that I keep guns in my home, ready to go. That would also encourage me to call me police officer bil and ask for a wee background check. - not funny.

Also, if they ask why you are putting it up I might just tell them the truth, "To be perfectly honest, it really creeps me out that you stare at my kids and make comments about kidnapping them. Also, your attire while doing yard work isn't appropriate for my young children to see, so we are going to live by that old adage about neighbors and fences." Strained smile, walk away.

Edited by nestof3

Um, okay - I agree with the others about doing a background check. It's cheap ($10-$18) and county or state gov't websites offers it, so dig around. Naked adults sitting and watching four young ladies and offering to kidnap them is not cool. Nor is it funny.

Regarding the privacy fence, if you can't find cheap arborvitae, pine trees grow big fairly quickly. We got ours from a You-Dig-It place, but we wanted fairly large ones, so he dug them and we borrowed a big trailer and made a few trips. Pine trees are very poky on naked skin, you see. Also, regular old lilacs grow kind of quickly, and you can get those even from someplace like WalMart's garden area for about $10 each. Another thing that I've noticed grows super fast are snowball bushes, also from WalMart for about $6-$8 each - we planted some of these about 3 years ago and they already reach my roof, and they are wide. If your zone allows for those sorts of things, I would also invest in some barbed wire and string a few rows between the bushes, just for fun.

ETA, if you go with a non assaulting sort of plant, you might consider investing in some really thorny rose bushes or barberry bushes to stagger in front of your plants. Again, just for fun.

Edited by LauraGB

Also, if you go with the plant based fencing option, you might consider trying to procure some free (or nearly free) dirt to berm up the area you are planting to give it more height right off the bat while you wait for the plants to grow in.

Some neighbors near us have a fence with a wooden frame and some very heavy metal "mesh" panels(not sure if this is the right word or not because it's definitely thicker than the wire mesh that comes in a roll for temporary fencing). They've got some sort of vines growing on it which looks really nice. Maybe something like morning glories would grow quickly?

I'm not sure whether this would work or not, but for a temporary fix could you put up a really long clothes line between two secure posts and hang a bunch of sheets across it during the day so they can't see your children and your children don't have to see them?

How accessible is your backyard? Maybe you know someone who'd like to park their boat or RV there for awhile to obscure their view...and make sure to get the bright blue tarp to cover it. :001_smile:

No matter how I try, I just can't see the humor in the kidnapping comment. I would be very careful. Don't let your girls out of your sight! Usually first impression are right, so the fact that it weirded you out when you heard it, says something.

This is my problem, too. I don't want to over react to someone's dumb comment, but at the same time I would rather over react than under react. I too do not see any humor in joking about kidnapping. My eyes & ears have been wide open since they moved in & my kids do not go out in the yard alone. It's so sad that it has to be this way, but I'm just not willing to take any chances.

:iagree:

I would have a tendency to say something back when they make a remark like that. Something very point blank like, "I do not see any humor nor take that as a complement." Or "I take the safety of my dd very seriously and I consider that a threat."

I would also address the lack of clothes. Any plant is going to take a little bit of time to get started and your dd should not be robbed their summer because these people can not seem to put clothes on.

Also, if they ask why you are putting it up I might just tell them the truth, "To be perfectly honest, it really creeps me out that you stare at my kids and make comments about kidnapping them. Also, your attire while doing yard work isn't appropriate for my young children to see, so we are going to live by that old adage about neighbors and fences." Strained smile, walk away.

:lol: I have actually been known to step out the back door for some random target practice from time to time. My shotgun is also my tool for removing unwanted snakes from the yard(I grew up where there weren't any poisonious snakes so even after 15 years I am still adjusting to the idea of poisonious snakes where I live. YUK!!!). So needless to say, I think the whole neighborhood is aware that I like to shoot.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I really like the sound of bamboo. Do you think it would spread so fast if we built some kind of a planter box or frame along the fence and planted it in that? I will also check out some of the other suggestions and hopefull we will get something up fast!

Some neighbors near us have a fence with a wooden frame and some very heavy metal "mesh" panels(not sure if this is the right word or not because it's definitely thicker than the wire mesh that comes in a roll for temporary fencing). They've got some sort of vines growing on it which looks really nice. Maybe something like morning glories would grow quickly?

I'm not sure whether this would work or not, but for a temporary fix could you put up a really long clothes line between two secure posts and hang a bunch of sheets across it during the day so they can't see your children and your children don't have to see them?

How accessible is your backyard? Maybe you know someone who'd like to park their boat or RV there for awhile to obscure their view...and make sure to get the bright blue tarp to cover it. :001_smile:

Yep, those are called hog or cattle panels. They are scaleable by an adult of course, but would provide a barrier and are relatively cheap- maybe $20-23 for about 16 ft. You could add your plant barrier in front of them to eventually hide them.

Weigelia - some varieties get large, grows somewhat quickly and gets thick. Pretty blooms in spring.

:iagree: This was not only completely inappropriate, it totally freaked me out.

I need to read on more, but I certainly hope you have done a search for sexual offenders.

I'm so sorry you didn't know better when moving to the country, but I understand. Who would have planned on freaks watching over you? A privacy hedge is a MUST!!!

again, :iagree::iagree::iagree:

:lol::lol:

I just about fell off my chair!

Anyway, if you are anywhere local to me, you are welcome to help yourself to some bamboo - grows incredibly fast!!!

Thank you so much for the offer. I wish I was closer, but we're in Oklahoma. I have seen bamboo growing in yards around here & I'm beginning to think I may start knocking on doors to see if someone wants me to "keep their bamboo from taking over."

:iagree: This was not only completely inappropriate, it totally freaked me out.

I need to read on more, but I certainly hope you have done a search for sexual offenders.

I'm so sorry you didn't know better when moving to the country, but I understand. Who would have planned on freaks watching over you? A privacy hedge is a MUST!!!

We did a search for offenders of any kind before we bought the house & a couple since we bought it. Thank goodness they have not been on any of those searches. However, when we moved here, we had a sweet little old lady living beside us so there were no issues. Even w/o a privacy fence, life was good! Unfortunately, she passed away & her kids sold the house to these new creepy neighbors. So now something has to be done!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I really like the sound of bamboo. Do you think it would spread so fast if we built some kind of a planter box or frame along the fence and planted it in that? I will also check out some of the other suggestions and hopefull we will get something up fast!

Katiebug,

we used to have bamboo, and I would try just about anything else before I'd plant bamboo. It is a grass and spreads like crazy with undrground runners. It is nearly impossible to eradicate. We chopped and chopped for years as bamboo would just keep coming up. Gahh!! There are many other thing that grow fast, including forsythia. (Ask MariannNOVA! :) )

If it were my problem, I'd stop my knee from jerking (it sure would be, given what you've described), I'd take my dds and play on the *other* side of my house, and plant something that I really would like to have in the yard long term. And, as soon as I had the money, I'd fence my yard. And I'd talk to the children about the danger the neighbors pose to them. And I'd call the police about the kidnapping comments and about the indecency. And I'd have dh talk to the neighbors telling them that their comments are not cute nor funny and to cut. it. out.

Wishing you safety!

Personally, I'd consider a dog. My English Shepherd would eat him alive if he came near my kids. He'd wear more than shorts in future, I can guarantee you that.

I really, really love my dog.

We had the perfect watch dog! She was very protective of my dc! She was VERY selective of who she allowed near our yard. I felt totally comfortable letting my dc outside when Sweetie here. Every night she would "go on patrol" (walk the perimeter of our property several times). It was like she was a trained body guard. She would let me & anyone else in ear shot when something was wrong! She was pretty mean looking too. We had a couple friends that would pull into the drive way & honk or call on their cell instead of coming to the door wondering where our "man eating dog" was! :lol: She never bit anyone friendly, but heaven forbid you be a stranger & try to cross her! We lost her last October. She was hit by a car in front of our house the month after our new neighbors moved in. We questioned it for a while since we live on a ver quiet dead end road with only 5 homes. But it turned out to be a lost drunk driver (our neighbor at the end of the road lost his mail box that same night). Man I miss that dog!!! Anyway, we did get Jelly Bean(a white lab puppy) the spring before we lost Sweetie, so she was able to learn some from Sweetie before she was on her own. That said, she barks at EVERYTHING that moves, but she is still a puppy & not what I would call protective. Maybe she will still learn...

I was about to post a lecture on your response to "fat", "shorts", inappropriate".

However, this seemed more important:

they kind of creep me out with their comments on how beautiful my girls are and how they would like to kidnap them. I'm sure they are harmless.

As others have mentioned, this is not "harmless", it is at BEST clueless and at worst much more.

If you haven't already, please read Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker.

I was about to post a lecture on your response to "fat", "shorts", inappropriate".

However, this seemed more important:

As others have mentioned, this is not "harmless", it is at BEST clueless and at worst much more.

If you haven't already, please read Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker.

I did not mean to offend anyone, I was just trying to describe why my 3yo would think our neighbor was "naked." Maybe I should have left that unsaid.

Katiebug,

we used to have bamboo, and I would try just about anything else before I'd plant bamboo. It is a grass and spreads like crazy with undrground runners. It is nearly impossible to eradicate. We chopped and chopped for years as bamboo would just keep coming up. Gahh!! There are many other thing that grow fast, including forsythia. (Ask MariannNOVA! :) )

Wishing you safety!

Thanks for the tip. I will definately check our forsythia. I really don't want to lose a lot of yard space if I don't have to.

I'm another voice for caution with the bamboo, our neighbor behind us had it in our old house, and while beautiful- it has these runners that go down a few feet down and then out, and when they poke up in the ground-or our case, in our lawn, they are sharp. Our kids could not go outside without shoes on. Dh was always going out and kicking them/breaking them off. He hates the word 'bamboo' now. I'd suggest going with something else.