Menu

Have any of you used these ...

We tried the Calculus back in about 5th grade or so. IMHO, impossible to use. We did 2 chapters and quit, and I'm no math whiz, but I did get a B in College Calculus. It's a nice idea, but very disorganized, and no guidance for the teacher (we had the workbook pages, which are supposed to contain the little book). I have yet to meet anyone who got past the 2nd chapter, and I've asked about this on several lists. If you really know calculus, and just use it as a launching pad, maybe you could make sense of it. Otherwise, I'd save my money. (wish I had)

Danielle

We've used Pre-Level 1 Chemistry and I plan to start Level 1 Biology very soon. The chemistry textbook is wonderful. My dh has a PhD in Chemistry and he thinks it is great too. My dd still reads the textbook for fun. I really like that the science isn't dumbed down. The author is able to put some pretty complex science into terms that kids can understand.

I do stretch out each book over one year instead of going through all three disciplines. (Actually, I stretch it out over spring and summer.) I add in other experiments and some library reading.

We used Real Science 4 Kid: Chemistry 1 this year for my third grader.

Is Chemistry the recommended place to begin ... or is it o.k. to start with Biology or Physics? DS8 is a pretty advanced 2nd grader who seems to pick things up quickly ... so would you recommend Level 1 or Pre-Level 1. (I may end up buying both as I also have a 5YO who will be in K next year.)

Is Chemistry the recommended place to begin ... or is it o.k. to start with Biology or Physics? DS8 is a pretty advanced 2nd grader who seems to pick things up quickly ... so would you recommend Level 1 or Pre-Level 1. (I may end up buying both as I also have a 5YO who will be in K next year.)

Well, I started with Chemistry, so I can't say if you could start with Biology or Physics. I believe that people have done it though.

I allowed my dd (when she was 7) to choose whether she wanted pre-level 1 or Level 1 by looking at the on-line samples. She chose Pre-level 1 because of the cute pictures. I think that she could have understood Level 1, but wouldn't have had as much fun.