Menu

*I* want to go to university and I dont know what to study....

Peela

I have been feeling it for a while. I have a Diploma, but I have something in me that want sto experience university. However, I am torn between studying something that really interests me- like doing a Bacholor of Arts covering English Literature and Creative Writing.....or, since it will probably put me in debt anyway, doing something like Psychology which would give me a solid career foundation.

My possiblities are, within my range of interest:

Do a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Complementary Medicine) to "finish off" my Naturopathy Diploma. It would be two years online. Then I could do something Post Graduate- even medicine, possibly, locally. Not sure I am passionate about that. It seems practical though.

Do A Psych degree. 6 years until I could set up private practice, but a fairly guaranteed good income after that. I am very interested in personal therapy, but I am not sure I want to deal with peoples' problems days after day, to that extent.

Do a Bachelor of Arts covering all sorts of interesting topics I would be fascinated to study, especially English and Creative Writing. But...I feel insecure about doing something that doesnt automatically guarantee me work. Ideally I would like to write...and at this point dont need to work...but I would like to and I do have an urge to be financially independent.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am sure our system here has many similairities. Anyone really glad they did a Bachelor of Arts even though it didn't seem to be going anywhere particular at the time?

I am currently doing a Diploma of Education, Primary , through open uni at Curtin uni. I am doing it part time and it takes about 10-15 hours a week. At the rate I am going, it will take me 6 1/2 hours to finish. I am not particularly interested in becoming a teacher, but in 7 years, most of my children will have finished homeschooling, and I thought relief teaching would be a good job.

A BA in Psychology is not good for much here in the US. An MA in Psych is the minimal degree required before you can counsel others or teach at the comm. college level. A PhD is necessary for most private practices, research institutions and teaching positions at the collegiate/university level.

If your Psych program is 6 years is the end degree an MA?

I have an MA in Psych but I did not choose the counseling route. I am more interested in neuroscience and experimental psychology. Unfortunately in my geographic area there is not much work for a Master's level academic so I teach part time at a comm. college. In order to work at a liberal arts school or a university I would need a PhD.

If I had to do it all again - I would have researched Psychology a bit more before I made the decision. I enjoy psychology and have a passion for teaching it but was not really aware of the constraints and limitations of the degree I chose. I would give anything to be able to complete a PhD so I could do research and teach at a 4 year college/university. That is where my heart is.

ETA: I want to go to university, too, Peela. I have been looking into PhD programs and trying to figure out a way to make it happen.

If your Psych program is 6 years is the end degree an MA?

Yes, it is. Its a lot of years, isnt it? Particularly when I am already in my 40s. Thanks for your thoughts on that.

I have been talking to dh. He thinks it might be best if I did some sort of business course first, because I don't want to work for anyone else- I want to be in private practice whatever I do- yet business skills is what I lack.

Melissa, I have thought about what you are doing, too. I dont think I couldbear to be a teacher in the school system, though! But I think its a great idea if you are inclined that way.

I have been feeling it for a while. I have a Diploma, but I have something in me that want sto experience university. However, I am torn between studying something that really interests me- like doing a Bacholor of Arts covering English Literature and Creative Writing.....or, since it will probably put me in debt anyway, doing something like Psychology which would give me a solid career foundation.

My possiblities are, within my range of interest:

Do a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Complementary Medicine) to "finish off" my Naturopathy Diploma. It would be two years online. Then I could do something Post Graduate- even medicine, possibly, locally. Not sure I am passionate about that. It seems practical though.

I would do the BHS and follow it up with coursework in Medical writing (Australasian Medical Writers Association).

Two birds, one stone. Pays well.

asta

Peela, have you checked out Open University Australia? Very flexible, and lots of units can be studied for interest, but still combine to make a degree. Lots of Arts options, and I think psych as well. Some sciency ones too, but I haven't looked at them in great detail. There is a BA-type Bachelor of Communications available, not sure of any work outcomes though.

Studying online isn't for everyone, but I see you've listed that as an option.

Miranda

You don't have to pay back HECS or whatever they call it now unless you earn above the threshold. I think that was $39,000 pa last I heard. The other thing is that you can take individual subjects, without being enrolled in a degree. Either you do the assignments, so it can be used as credit if you decide to enrol at that uni, or you can just attend the lecture.

My BA was invaluable, but that was in my early 20s, for character formation and all that. At your point in life, I think you'd enjoy attending lectures, assuming they were good lectures, but the assignments would bore you to death. If you decide to take this path, make sure you choose your subjects based on the lecturer.

This is an interesting book: http://www.amazon.com/You-Majored-What-Mapping-Career/dp/0670020826

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Thanks Rosie- yes, I have checked out Open Universities. I am more inspired by doing it locally than online- I know I can study online and I feel I need the environment, because its more of a personal expasion type thing than an "I need this degree to do this" kind of thing.

That book definitely looks interesting.

Yes, really I want to wander my way through an impractical and general bachelor degree but I am trying to pull something together than feels remotely practical.

Yes, really I want to wander my way through an impractical and general bachelor degree but I am trying to pull something together than feels remotely practical.

Well there are usually a lot of mature age students in BA classes, so you shouldn't be completely lacking in company. A lot of them seem to do archaeology. :confused: I don't know if it is a cool subject, or if they all banded together so they'd have someone not aged 17 to talk to :)

If you don't need to work and you have hubby's blessing in being impractical, go be impractical. You can transfer to another degree if something amazingly practical and exciting bursts into your life and is unable to be denied. Do try to talk to other mature age students though. Some first year subjects will make you consider suffocating yourself, but are worth keeping alive through for the subjects you can study afterwards. One of my first year anthropology subjects was like that :cursing: but the second year subjects were GREAT! Kinship and Marriage, for example. That was one of my favourite subjects from my whole degree! Some other subjects are just painful because the lecturer won't allow you to go off on interesting tangents with your assignments. I had to skip on a food history subject for that reasons. You can imagine how that hurt! You need the promise of mighty fine second and third year subjects to persevere with that kind of stuff. Since you've done lit analysis with your kiddos, I'd wonder if you would actually enjoy doing it yourself at a tertiary level. I didn't do English myself, so I don't know first hand. Some of the stuff my friends told me though, was rather crazy. The Marxist analysis of Jane Austen, and stuff like that. :confused:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Mmm, good thoughts Rosie. I wonder about Lit analysis too- I have never really enjoyed it- I just like the reading of the book part, and maybe some discussion. OK, so that changes things.

I was talking to my friend who is doing Psychology and she kept telling me that even within a degree path towards something "practical" like Psych, there are lots of electives you can choose from other schools.

I need to keep talking to people, as you say...I probably need to go and talk to the uni people as well and see what they think.

I was talking to my friend who is doing Psychology and she kept telling me that even within a degree path towards something "practical" like Psych, there are lots of electives you can choose from other schools.

Keep the inverted commas on "practical." As a pp said, a degree in Psych qualifies you only to do an MA or PhD. A degree in psych really isn't any more practical than a BA (and less enjoyable in my opinion!) I'd see if your local unis allow single subject enrollment without enrolling in a degree. They are the same classes, the same people, the same everything. One daytime subject and an on campus curry lunch with someone from class will give you enough uni experience to either convince you to enrol, or make you feel you have been there and done that.

To be honest, the rhetoric stage WTM recs are heavier than my degree was, so if you want to go do humanities, pick areas you haven't covered with your kids. I'd love to do a grad dip in politics, myself. I just don't know how to tackle it on my own.

Rosie- (one of my old housemates was a psychologist, and I nursed her through a thesis, lol.)

I am coming from the experience of having the BA, the MS and the PhD in Psych...

What about getting a degree in business and taking a few counseling courses and then setting up in personal coaching? You could help people to realize their dreams. It wouldn't take as long as an MA/MS in psych., it would be more of what you're hankering to do, but also has a practical feel to it.

I've always enjoyed reading your guidance here on the boards. :)

I am coming from the experience of having the BA, the MS and the PhD in Psych...

What about getting a degree in business and taking a few counseling courses and then setting up in personal coaching? You could help people to realize their dreams. It wouldn't take as long as an MA/MS in psych., it would be more of what you're hankering to do, but also has a practical feel to it.

I've always enjoyed reading your guidance here on the boards. :)

Thanks Jenny, those are some good thoughts.

I am thinking more and more that I need business skills.

However...I am not sure if I am built to be a counsellor. I like the idea. I dont know if I would like the reality.

I will look into personal coaching- is that the same as life coaching?