Menu

17yo as college freshman out of state??

Tardis Girl

I have a 15yo dd as a rising junior, which means she will be a young 17yo when she graduates high school, technically. Originally we thought she might take a gap year or something, but now she seems to really want to go to college right away. Out of state. Across the country. I am just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences (pro or con) with one going AWAY to college at that age. She's got a good head on her shoulders in terms of real-world things, and socially she's good too.

My biggest concerns, I guess, are dd being homesick as she is quite close to her younger sibs and me, and in the back of my mind I also wonder about time management for her studies... although I don't know that a year will make a difference on that matter. lol

Her older sister would be graduating at the same time, but I'm not sure if they'll end up at the same school, or even the same state.

I was 17 when I left home and traveled 2000 miles away to go to Mount Holyoke. We were poor so I had never seen the campus and I was totally on my own. I did okay. There was a slight adjustment period. I think my biggest shock was being with the girls from higher SES groups. I wasn't prepared for the differences in lifestyle and experience that I would see.

I took my education seriously and I made sure I arrived to classes and work on time and prepared. I took care of my room and did my laundry. I didn't iron my sheets like some of the girls but I survived with wrinkly sheets.

I was a little homesick but so intent on succeeding that the homesickness only affected me right before the holidays.

If your DD is mature and will be attending a school of her choice she will probably be just fine. You know her best - if there are any areas you are concerned with start focusing on those now.

You can always text, call, send care packages, etc. Regular contact may help.

I graduated just at 16 and spent a year as an exchange student. It was a great transition year for me. 17 is a funny, not quite legal age in our country. I'm sure she'll do well but she could also look into other options for a year.

Thank you, that's encouraging. I forgot about texting. lol I should probably know this, but what are "SES groups"? I'm thinking socio-economic something-or-other. Can you spell it out for this bleary-eyed mom? ;)

You are correct. It is socio-economic status. For me it was a big deal. I wasn't used to 17 yos with BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I didn't know there were so many debutantes in New England. I didn't know what J Crew, Land's End or Banana Republic were and I certainly did not know you could shop by catalog and have things delivered by mail. (I told you I grew up very poor.) ;)

My ds just turned 17 at the end of May - 6 days after graduation! I too wanted a gap year or a cc experience, but ds is an academic and cc would have been a waste of his time. He is ready to be out on his own and will be leaving for a college 9 hrs. away.

I was not always on board with this idea, but his father was. maybe it is because we homeshooled through high school, but this kid just needs to be out from under his mother! I am not hurt by that. It is how it should be with young men. Ds always hangs out with those older than him and he seems older than he is. My biggest concern is his time management skills and what he will do when encounters something difficult. He is so smart, he has never had to work at anything! Writing, testing, and learning has always come easy for him. I kind of want him to have the hard class experience and fail (okay...maybe just stumble;)). I don't think he even has an inkling of what taking charge of your own education means.

Ds is our first to leave home and honestly we are so excited for him and know God has a plan for his life that we feel includes this school. When I trust in God's sovereignty for my children, I don't need a back-up plan if this doesn't work out the way I think it should. No experience at this college will be wasted and at this point, we are ready to launch our ds to begin his own walk with the Lord.

Rambling a little, sorry

My son was 16 when he graduated and he went to college across the Atlantic from us since we were stationed in Europe then. It worked out fine. He had no issues with fitting in or academically. He even had a problem with a shuttle and dealt with it fine. Now he was an Eagle Scout, had done things like camped at 20 degrees below zero, and travelled to Ireland by himself for a summer program, so I would mainly go by how mature the child is and if the child has had experience away from home, particularly experiences travelling alone.

For my next one, she will be either 17 or 18 when she goes to college. In a few weeks, she is travellling to a summer program by herself with a change of planes in both directions. SOme other times this year, I will probably have her go visit some colleges alone. She had already been at summer camps, church retreats and mission trips where she was without us but with at least some people she knew. The trip in a few weeks she won't know anyone and it is a big test for her.

My third will be graduating at 17 and going away to college. She has so far only been on retreats and summer camps with people she knows. Next summer, we will most likely send her somewhere to a summer program with people she doesn't know.

I was a naive and inexperienced *18* year old, who had lived in OH but moved to FL in 11th grade. I missed OH and my best friend, so we went to OSU together.

I couldn't go home until Christmas that first semester, but I spent TG with another family (not my best friend, fwiw). It was weird, when other kids got to go home mid semester, but I actually like it, and it was good for me.

These replies are all so encouraging -- thank you so much for taking the time to write. It's neat to hear what you or your kids have done, or plan to do. I probably should be more mindful of opportunities for her to be in completely independent situations. Glad I'm asking now! lol