Menu

DD's ear piercing holes are bleeding??

She got her ears pierced about 2 months ago...and tonight we took them out for the first time and tried putting in new earrings...

Immediately they started bleeding. And, I'm talking, dripping blood all over her?!?!

Needless to say, we didn't get the earrings in.

I had sensitive ears when I first got mine pierced, but they never did this!! I had to wear certain kinds of earrings at first, and now I can wear anything, but I just have no clue what to do for her!!

Help! :)

The only thing I could suggest is to get the bleeding under control then look at the ear.

Does it look infected? Does it hurt? If not it could be that the hole healed around the post perhaps and just need to be put back in and rotated again. Make sure to keep the ears clean too!

I had to let a hole close because of infection. So I now have three in my left ear and 2 in my right. I never wear earrings anymore either :glare:

You'd know if it was infected. It would bed red and sore to the touch.

In reality you probably wouldn't have been able to get the originals out (especially if that have those locking backs)

If it has been bleeding freely I would cleanse the ears, put the original earrings back in.

Make sure you rotate the earrings (twisting them in the ear) several times a day and cleanse with isopropyl (sp?) alcohol a couple times a day.

They shouldn't be bleeding, and if you rotate them that insures that the won't heal around the earring.

You will know if they are infected, red and VERY sore to the touch. Maybe even some *lovely* crusty/oozies coming out as well.

I, at 30yrs of age, can still ONLY wear certain metals in my ears. NOTHING plated, ONLY solid gold, not even silver. Otherwise, um, I will not go into the gross details.

I have had my ears peirced *at least* 6 times since I was 6yrs of age. Just trying to wear different earings makes my ear lobes beg for mercy. I finally let my second set of holes close up. I wear nothing but my pearls now :) Lesson learned ;)

Thanks ladies, well I don't think they are infected by your descriptions. :)

I guess we will just wait a bit and try to get earrings back in...right now she is pretty upset from all the bleeding. Uggg...and she is my one that cries and screams about everything. Should be fun getting earrings back in! HA!

I'd put the earrings back in tonight. You don't want them to close up.

Try holding an ice cube on the front and back of the ear to numb it. :bigear: Once she has them in, push them forward and back each day. It's a better movement than turning. Also, remember to use ear piercing solution on them daily (or something similiar).

My dd needed to keep her studs in for 6 months, but now she can change them anytime all by herself. I hope you have similar results and smiles! :)

Put the studs back in, it doesn't sound like they healed all the way. If you had them done at a piercing studio, take her back in and talk to them Today. They will help you work though her healing. If you had them done at a place in the mall, your out of luck.

First soak the studs in alcohol for 15 minutes. Then clean her ear. After a shower would be a good time to do it so she is clean and relaxed (still clean the area with an antiseptic or alcohol) and the tissue will be softer from the shower. Then you can apply a bit of triple antibiotic with pain med if you think it will help. After you get them back in, I wouldn't use it again, only this once as a lube/pain med. Go slow and gentle looking at both sides of the hole to guide you. (If she sleeps heavily, consider doing it while she is asleep if you can't get it in while she is awake.) Icing the ear can numb it a bit, but will also stiffen the ear so it may make it easier or harder to put in, hard to say which.

If you get them back in, start doing 3xdaily, 5 minute salt water soaks. Use non-iodized sea salt ONLY. Small measuring cups or shot glasses work great for this. If the cups don't work try soaking cotton balls in the solution and using those. Look for a recipe on line and be diligent about it. Usually it is a pinch dissolved in hot water, then allowed to cool to a comfortable temp (should only be as salty as tears). This is very important. It helps to fight infection, rinses the piercing (clears crusties) and also helps to dry the piercing. Do not use the solution the mall gave you unless it is Satin or Provone (sp?) brand. The professionals recommend sea salt (or these brands) and it has been used for years with great success.

It is best to clean the area with antibacterial hand soap first and then rinse thoroughly. Doing it at shower time makes this easiest. This loosen any crusties and rinses them away as well as gets rid of any infection causing material. Then do the soak. I would start with 3 times a day for a week, then twice daily for a week, then once daily for a week. This is shorter than the norm, but since it isn't a fresh piercing should be sufficient. If her piercing has any crusties, do not have her twist or turn them. It draws that into the open wound. ALWAYS have her wash her hands before she touches them...ALWAYS.

I would also keep her out of pools, or anything where her head is under water. Especially avoid fresh water sources due to infection risks.

Does she swim in a chlorinated pool? When DD the Elder's ears were pierced, she was told to wait at least 8 weeks before changing the earrings, 12 weeks if she swam.

Ok, dumb question here, but what would an infected ear look like??
My dd's ear got infected the first time we tried earrings. It didn't look any different, but there was pus that came out (whitish-yellowish). The first time we had it done in the UAE at a clinic, they didn't prescribe any aftercare at all, other than not changing the earrings for a period of weeks.

We recently had them re-done at Claire's here in the US (at dd's request). They gave us a bottle of cleansing fluid to use and a paper of aftercare instructions. So far so good, but I don't think I will try changing her earrings for quite a while.