Menu

Should I put "withdrawal" on the final transcript?

Nicole M

I have a small Music Appreciation dilemma.

My son's college has just requested his final transcript (which I'm delighted to send, because he grades went up this last quarter). Most of his classes were at the Community College this spring, but he did do a couple at home, Bible as Literature and German Studies. We ended up not doing our Music Appreciation at all -- and here is why. After going through the text and the syllabus, we realized that my son has already mastered the material covered in this course. I don't know what I was thinking, really, but I suppose I was imagining that Music Appreciation was more of history course than just a general overview. After we realized my mistake, I had him take all the online chapter tests for the text, (before he read it), thinking we could start in the text where ever he reached new material. He scored 100% on all of the tests. Then I thought that I'd have him write up a paper comparing, say, two music appreciation texts and call it a day, but we never got around to that.

Anyhoo, Music Appreciation was on his transcript that I'd sent earlier in the year, but with no grade, because it was an anticipated not a current course. For his at-home courses I have given him "pass" instead of a letter grade. Would it be dishonest to give him credit for this course, even though he didn't "take" the course? I was leaning toward giving him a withdrawal, or not putting it on the transcript at all. I don't know if they compare or what. The other option would be to simply send only his CC transcript.

I know this seems like a lot of words for a small issue. My main concern is finishing this long, arduous process with integrity, for the sake of closure. I hope that makes sense.

What would you recommend?

ETA: If anyone is interested in an unused Oak Meadow Music Appreciation syllabus, let me know. ;)

Edited by Nicole M

I'd give him full credit bc he mastered the course as demonstrated by passing all the exams. I would not penalize him for finding it easy. Many kids take 1 or 2 easy courses in high school. And in college for that matter. It keeps them from completely frying their brain. ;) As long as the course description is honest, I think your integrity will stand.

I'd give him full credit bc he mastered the course as demonstrated by passing all the exams. I would not penalize him for finding it easy. Many kids take 1 or 2 easy courses in high school. And in college for that matter. It keeps them from completely frying their brain. ;) As long as the course description is honest, I think your integrity will stand.

Thank you. I'll do that.

I feel so much better now! Nothing like a Well Trained thumbs-up to ease the mind. :D

Nicole,

The course grade for several of my kids' state university courses (which they took dual credit in high school) was composed entirely of the scores on the three exams in the class. These were usually gen ed courses, but one was actually a required engineering math course. (Ouch--nothing to pad the exam scores!)

Basing the course grade entirely on the tests is within the range of normal; in your son's case, his body of knowledge for the course was pre-learned. :lol:

hth