Menu

MCT Island level with just student books?

LibrarianMom

I'm wondering if it's possible to use MCT Island level with just the student books? I was an English education major in college and do a lot of writing. I think I could probably deduce the answer and come up with activities but is there something I'd be missing out on but not having the teacher's manuals?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use MCT Island level with just the student books? I was an English education major in college and do a lot of writing. I think I could probably deduce the answer and come up with activities but is there something I'd be missing out on but not having the teacher's manuals?

It's actually the other way around - there's nothing you'd be missing by getting just the Teacher Guides. The front part of the TG is the SG in its entirety, just with some little possible discussion points in little unobtrusive boxes here and there.

All the actual assignments are in the back of the Teacher Guides. It's not just answers. The books are not consumable. .

One big exception... if you're talking solely about the Practice books, you could get away with just the consumable Student books if you're very confident in your grammar. I almost never look at the TG for the Practice books. I have the Town Practice TG, but have hauled it out maybe three times, and I don't think I bought the Island Practice TG - if I did, I don't know where it is. :tongue_smilie: Others have just bought the TG and done the excercises on the white board instead of in the book - that's another way to go.

But for all the other books, Teacher Guide only!!

It's actually the other way around - there's nothing you'd be missing by getting just the Teacher Guides. The front part of the TG is the SG in its entirety, just with some little possible discussion points in little unobtrusive boxes here and there.

All the actual assignments are in the back of the Teacher Guides. It's not just answers. The books are not consumable. .

One big exception... if you're talking solely about the Practice books, you could get away with just the consumable Student books if you're very confident in your grammar. I almost never look at the TG for the Practice books. I have the Town Practice TG, but have hauled it out maybe three times, and I don't think I bought the Island Practice TG - if I did, I don't know where it is. :tongue_smilie: Others have just bought the TG and done the excercises on the white board instead of in the book - that's another way to go.

But for all the other books, Teacher Guide only!!

:iagree::iagree: with everything that matroyshka wrote - what I've highlighted is the answer to your question (and thanks to matroyshka for saving me from all that typing! ;))

I'd get just the teacher guide and not the student books so I have to :iagree: with everyone else. :lol:

I like having the teacher guide for the Practice books. You could do w/out the student guide for the Practice Book and just dictate the sentence to the student and have them perform the 4 level analysis or do it on a white board etc. Sometimes the TG brings up a point I might not have thought of. For ex: transitive and intransitive verbs are introduced in Practice Island but I don't recall that being in the grammar book or Sentence Island. Also, for some who are quite rusty on grammar might not bring up how to determine that what is usually a preposition is acting as an adverb etc.

So if I had to choose, for me, I'd choose the teacher books. Having the Student Practice Books are nice though b/c it's part of my boys daily independent work. We then get together and discuss.