Menu

What do you use to keep all of your high schooler's work in for documentation?

In years past I have just used a 3-ring binder that I've gotten from Sam's and they have worked fine up until my dd15's freshman year this past year. I can't seem to fit it all in. I keep her graded work, lab write-ups, her list of books read, essays/writings, and tests. I think I need to include all of this so I'm wondering if something else work would better. I'm thinking of using the cardboard banker's boxes you see in WalMart but not sure. Just curious as to what you use that works good.

I use the cardboard boxes from staples with the "tie tabs" on each end as they seem sturdy. I put two grades of work in each box and store them in the basement. I'm hoping for a superintendent's "letter of high school equivalency" so my district could have me show work and textbooks for all 4 years of high school (in a 45 minute meeting! Ha!) at the end of my children's senior year.

Myra

I used to keep everything until we moved into a townhouse. Since space is at a premium, and we wanted to build a "portfolio" of our dd's work, we pick a few examples from each subject and keep it in a large 3 ring binder. It will hold 9th to 12 grade. There are tests, quizzes, essays, artwork etc. Since home schoolers are not as well accepted at the colleges and universities where I live, I thought it would be good to have in addition to the transcript. I have my own notebook for "required" info for the state if ever needed, plus hours, days and assignments in Homeschool Tracker Plus.

Oh yes...I keep my "legal" documentation in a 3-ring binder....reports due to the school district, letters of recommendations, transcripts of outside sourced courses, etc.

Myra

I guess I haven't thought about separating the two. That's a thought.

I used to keep everything until we moved into a townhouse. Since space is at a premium, and we wanted to build a "portfolio" of our dd's work, we pick a few examples from each subject and keep it in a large 3 ring binder. It will hold 9th to 12 grade. There are tests, quizzes, essays, artwork etc. Since home schoolers are not as well accepted at the colleges and universities where I live, I thought it would be good to have in addition to the transcript. I have my own notebook for "required" info for the state if ever needed, plus hours, days and assignments in Homeschool Tracker Plus. Today 07:04 PM

So you don't keep everything, just a few items from each subject? I guess I've assumed I needed to keep everything that required a grade for proof of that grade. Maybe that's why I can't fit everything in the 3-ring binder!

Thanks so much ladies for your input. It's given me something to consider!

Edited by Momof3Maidens

I have a 3 ring binder. In the binder I put his transcript, report card for each year, an overview from homeschool tracker for each semester, the course descriptions for every class he took, and a copy of test scores from each year. We have only done his freshman year, but I have a divider for next year and have already started doing course descriptions.

In a separate folder I keep what I keep for every child: all of his writing assignments and a couple of tests from math and science, history and English tests, etc. It is just a sample of what we did that year. With the homeschool tracker page, they can see that they had 5 tests each semester and how I weighted things. In Texas we don't have to have any documentation.

Christine

I have a 3 ring binder. In the binder I put his transcript, report card for each year, an overview from homeschool tracker for each semester, the course descriptions for every class he took, and a copy of test scores from each year. We have only done his freshman year, but I have a divider for next year and have already started doing course descriptions.

In a separate folder I keep what I keep for every child: all of his writing assignments and a couple of tests from math and science, history and English tests, etc. It is just a sample of what we did that year. With the homeschool tracker page, they can see that they had 5 tests each semester and how I weighted things. In Texas we don't have to have any documentation.

I live in Kentucky and we aren't required to have any documentation either, just progress reports and an attendance register. I've kept track of all my daughter's grades and such myself but have been looking at Homeschool Tracker actually for the last several weeks to help me keep track of everything. I think you've sold me on getting that for sure to simplify things. I think I have a better grasp on how to keep and what to keep for her "portfolio" and "documentation". Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

I don't! I keep only particuliarly good essays, art work or photos of projects, and results from major exams (such as end of semester math exam) or testing such as CLEP, ITBS, or ACT.

I am keeping a book list (texts and literature) and writing course descriptions.

Also I'm keeping all letters of recommendation or other types of acheivement or recognition in nonacademic areas.

All of this will be available behind his transcript.

I figure it is easier to throw it away later than try to recreate later.

I put each subject's materials into a large manila envelope with the course name. I figure the envelopes (except for the few 1/2 credits) are the credits adding up...to call on when necessary.

I would like to figure out if it is possible with HST+ to make one nice page with course description, grade, materials, projects or outings, etc, all the important info in other words. Has anyone figured out how to do that?

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Ok, so maybe I will hold on to all of her work. I probably would have anyway in another place just in case. It would definitely be easier to keep it just in case than to not have it and one day need it. I'll wait until she's graduated from college before trashing it all! lol

I've never used Homeschool Tracker or any other program for keeping up with grades, just the old fashioned way. A page being able to show all the grades and materials would be nice! Maybe someone can chime in on that one and let us know.

Thanks everyone again!

Edited by Momof3Maidens