Menu

Notgrass World History: About how much daily/weekly time?

I've read a lot about Notgrass's World History lately. They say you get 3 credits (1 each for Hist, Lit, and Bible) and thus requires 1 hr per subject a week ... 3 hrs per day, 5 days/wk. However I also hear that it really isn't enough for a lit or bible credit and many add in work for these subjects. That is fine with me since we already have a writing/lit course and I don't want something that will require more time then we have to give. kwim? So can anyone give me some estimates on how much time it actually takes to do these lessons?

TIA !!

We were going to do Notgrass by itself before I decided to go ahead with MFW (which uses Notgrass). There's NO WAY it would've taken my dd 3 hours a day 5x a week. Possibly 2 hours a day, mainly because of the essay questions. But not three.

If you add grammar and writing instruction and more mapwork, then yes. But that's why I went ahead and bought MFW... I felt like I was just reinventing the wheel in searching for those things I needed to add and then figuring out how to schedule it. :tongue_smilie: (MFW uses Notgrass spread over two years, btw.)

With MFW, she's doing 3 hours a day in those three subjects, with a little lighter schedule on Fridays... and I don't have to figure out the schedule or what to add to it. :001_smile:

I would say my 8th grader spend about 2 - 2.5 hours per day, maybe a little more since he was young and I required alot of re-writing. He had to do additional research for writing. Notgrass has the student writing about the week's topic, but the information needed for the essay isn't usually in the text. I seem to remember that Bible was only on Fridays and didn't take much time.

I used just Notgrass, but added in some of my own literature.

I was going to list which literature we added, but I just realized you are asking about WORLD history. We covered American last year which I have heard is more difficult than world, so you could plan on less than 2 - 2.5 hours/day. I think I need my 2nd cup of coffee before I open my mouth again ...