Menu

Grammar self-education for me

I am having a hard time teaching myself real English-major grammar. The problem as I see it (besides not having learned a stick of it as a kid) is that I can't get the nomenclature into my long-term memory. I think I'd remember it better if I understood why each thing is called what it is, e.g. copulative verbs are linking verbs....that makes sense to me, but why is something a "perfect" tense?

I'd like a book or books that give me the whys of nomenclature, and then a book with plenty of quizzes to solidify my understanding. Without problems to work, I find I glaze over as I read about grammar.

Anyone have a favorite book for self-teaching a non-natural in grammar?

I've used 4 books, thus far: English Grammar for Students of Spanish

Barron's Pocket Guide to Grammar

Better English

Rex Barks (which taught me the most and did it in the context of diagramming)

The first three I used because I found them at Goodwill.

Thanks!

I don't recall it having review and exercises, though.

I'm thinking that maybe Analytical Grammar would be a good curriculum for self-teaching. I have not used it, but I borrowed it and studied it thoroughly, and if I were starting from scratch I would seriously consider it.

I learned quite a bit of grammar, about half of the body of work, in grades 3, 4, 7, and 8. For 3rd and 4th grades we used Keys to Good English. In 7th or 8th grades, the teacher was an English major, and the textbooks and workbooks did not arrive by the start of school, so he taught us grammar pretty much alone for a few weeks. It was a revelation to me. I don't remember having any grammar at all in 5th and 6th grades. We had the SQR cards for comprehension, and I think that took the grammar slot over--we also had readers for 'reading'. I'm not sure.

The complete course will most likely give you what you want.... good explanations and lots of exercises. Can be used as a reference as well.

I have a "Grammar and Usage dictionary" (don't know the exact name and it's packed) that you can look up terms alphabetically which I like too.

why is something a "perfect" tense?

Perfect is also called "completed action" whereas imperfect is "incomplete action."

Perfect: I have eaten. [and now I'm done.]

Imperfect: I was eating. [and I might still be eating.]

This difference is harder to detect in English but easier in other languages.

Does that help?

I have a "Grammar and Usage dictionary" (don't know the exact name and it's packed) that you can look up terms alphabetically which I like too.

Perfect is also called "completed action" whereas imperfect is "incomplete action."

Does that help?

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary?

I wondered about "perfect" as an example. And yes, I think I remember Perfect as completed action: you are done cleaning the house. Perfect! You've read the whole novel and know the whole story. Perfect!

I'm thinking that maybe Analytical Grammar would be a good curriculum for self-teaching. I have not used it, but I borrowed it and studied it thoroughly, and if I were starting from scratch I would seriously consider it.

I was wondering about that. The samples I saw seemed acceptable to me, and I was thinking of using it for kiddo in 4 years. Perhaps that is a good place for me to start.

I have been spoiled by Rex Barks. She is such a good teacher, I want her to write a grammar book, too.

No, it is not a regular dictionary, it is just for grammar terms and maybe literary terms too.

I just looked up "perfect" in the [regular] dictionary. It comes from the Latin word "perfectus" which means "done, finished." Makes perfect sense!

You could probably learn a lot looking up terms in the regular dictionary, esp. because they are pretty much all Latin and the Romans were really "into" grammar. Although looking up "gerund" still didn't give me any new insight.

No, it is not a regular dictionary, it is just for grammar terms and maybe literary terms too.

You could probably learn a lot looking up terms in the regular dictionary, esp. because they are pretty much all Latin and the Romans were really "into" grammar. Although looking up "gerund" still didn't give me any new insight.

I meant this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Websters-Dictionary-English-Usage-Merriam-Webster/dp/0877791325/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277179814&sr=1-2

I noticed on page 6 (in the samples) is a long entry on absolute adjectives, e.g.

Well, wikipedia claims it is from the root "to carry", and that the gerund carries out the verb. Maybe I'm looking for a history of English grammar.

Kalanamak, no good suggestions for you. I just wanted you to know you will have company this summer. My teens are doing a serious grammar review and I will be working right alongside them. I am using MCT materials and Moutoux's diagramming book. There is more work on my plate this summer then when I was in grad school.:tongue_smilie:

Ah, that dictionary looks helpful.

You know, if you are interested in self-ed, you might consider working on Latin. I have learned more about grammar since learning Latin than by any other method (although I did learn a lot via Warriner's too).

Lingua Latina is a great one for self-learning adults and the College Companion has a lot of great grammar explanations.

Latin *is* the history of English grammar. It's much more "visible" in Latin. English grammarians took Latin terms and applied them to the English language where they are not as "visible" because, for example, we don't use different endings for all the noun cases any more. I used "Simply Grammar" once when my kids were little and I truly could not believe we were reading a lesson about the nominative case when in English we only really change endings for the accusative.

Ah, that dictionary looks helpful.

You know, if you are interested in self-ed, you might consider working on Latin. I have learned more about grammar since learning Latin than by any other method (although I did learn a lot via Warriner's too).

Lingua Latina is a great one for self-learning adults and the College Companion has a lot of great grammar explanations.

Latin *is* the history of English grammar.

Funny you should say that...I was given a 70's version of

http://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Familia-Romana-Latin/dp/1585102385

if that is what you mean. I have been reading it!

I ordered Warriner's. Ad astra per aspera!