Menu

push-ups as a discipline method?

My four-year-old son got in *trouble* at tae kwon do today and as a punishment had to do a 4yo version of a pushup--balance on his toes with his feet together and his hands shoulder width apart, with his bottom in the air--for about 15 or 20 seconds. He was in trouble for not focusing when doing jumping jacks. 2x when the master said to do 10 pushups (once as a class and a second time solo), he got carried away and did 11. I really don't think he was being silly. He just forgets in the middle of things what the point is lol. Anyhow he is going to a traditional tae kwon do place--the guy graduated from the taekwondo university there. He's the real deal.

Anyhow, I have no problem with him being *punished* that way there, this is what we signed up for and is supposed to be great at teaching self-discipline and focus. The master is respectful. My thought is hmmmmmm, maybe this might be more effective than time-out at home? I saw an episode of "world's strictest parents' where a former marine used physical exercises like that as punishment--but in the show it was implied that it taught persistence, focus, and determination. It also seems like a good emotional outlet. Anyhow, my mind is a-turning about this one and I was curious to hear the hive's thoughts about this. I had never considered this a form of discipline before.

Yes we do push ups here. We probably got that from the kids' tkd studio.

Usually in groups of 10.

I also assign running downstairs and back up again when they just get squirrly (we live on the 6th floor).

A big punishment here is to have to do multiple sets of stairs. I have assigned this for things that I consider to be a major responsibility issue like leaving the door unlocked when leaving the house unattended. I've only had to assign this 2-3 times. It is pretty effective.