Menu

Expressive-Receptive Language Disorder

My 9-yr old daughter has mixed E/R language disorder, along with NLD, ADHD and "non-specific" coginitive processing issues. Needless to say, having a meaningful dialogue is a challenge most days.

I've found resources to address the ADHD and NLD, but not much yet about the language disorder. We did a month at Lindamood Bell last summer in the Visualizing/Verbalizing program and it seemed to help, but we live overseas, so we don't currently have access to that resource.

Does anyone have any experience with this or can you recommend any books, websites?

Thanks,

Tracy

My son has expressive-receptive disorder. The things that has helped him the most with his receptive language is Lindamood Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing program. If you feel this helped her, maybe you could try IdeaChain as Claire suggested.

You may want to take a look at http://www.sraonline.com. They have some direct instruction programs specifically designed for children with language disabilities. They are Language for Learning, Language for Thinking and Language for Writing. Depending on where your daughter is functioning, you might want to start her in the first level and move through it quickly. The programs are very expensive, but I have noticed that they really hold their value and resell very well on ebay. I did not use the first 2 levels with my son, but I am using Language for Writing with him this year and I am very pleased with it. If I had known how good these programs were when he was younger, I would have definitely have used the other levels.

Without knowing your daughter, it is so hard to say, but have you had an SLP evaluation done outlining her specific weaknesses with language? If so, you can get a catalog from Linguisystems at http://www.linguisystems.com and you could pick an area to work on with her. Right now, I am trying to help my son have a deeper understanding of everyday words by using Spotlight on Vocabulary with him from Linguisystems. It is a computer software program that works on antonyms, synonyms, classifications, categories, attributes, etc. I have a list of things that I have noticed my son needs to work on as far as his language skills go and we are just plugging away, one area at a time.

Lisa

If there is a speech-language pathologist available, you need a complete assessment with specific recommendations for treatment. They can design you a specific home-based program to target the specific deficit areas. You must treat each of the deficit areas in order to remediate the whole. So a very thorough assessment is important. The Visualizing/Verbalizing is great aid for learning, but it is not a program designed to remediate the language problem itself. If you tackle the language issues along with that then you are not just teaching to her stronger skill (visual abilities) but also remediating the weaker skill. This weaker skill is necessary for reading, spelling, writing and grammar. Without these you will be stopped in your tracks.

Homeschooling SLP