Menu

Words Aptly Spoken....anyone ever use this...

As far as I know this is only available to purchase through Classical Conversations. Was wondering if anyone has used these lit guides before. It says it has review questions and thought questions. I was thinking about getting the one for british lit. I'm wondering if the guide is book specific (as in it will refer you to page numbers in the Dover version of the book) or if I can use my own copy of gulliver's travels, for instance.

thanks

tracy

Do you remember if the discussion questions were good? I did a search on this website and some mentioned that the questions weren't very good and to choose something like Teaching the Classics instead.

I just bought TTC but haven't watched it yet. I was hoping to have something to use after TTC in case i felt the need to have books already chosen and questions to go with them. KWIM?

thanks

tracy

I had to use one because I tutored Challenge this past year. I thought it was awful. They are pretty random questions, few with much depth. I used only a handful from each book. There are a LOT of questions; they are organized per chapter. Maybe they get better in later years (this was A.)

If you tried to use them after learning TTC, you would be disappointed (I was.) You won't need WAS at all; you will be prepared to have better discussions yourself. :001_smile:

Great! That's what I was wondering. I think I just need to trust that I can have meaningful conversations with my kiddos without a book specific list of questions. I think between TTC (and I own The Well Educated Mind that has the Rhetoric level type questions in it)that I should be able to do this :D

However..........I was wondering about Movies as Literature for my senior. He wants to go to college for cinematography. I thought this might be right up his alley, especially since reading isn't his all time favorite thing. Anyone have experience with this? maybe i will post this as a separate post.

thank you all for your input. It is ALL appreciated so much!

tracy