Menu

All American History by Bright Ideas - Have you seen or used this ?

Has anyone here used this for high school ?

It's called

The Civil War to the 21st Century, Volume 2: All American History Series

It does not cover the period of time before the Civil War. That is covered in Vol I, which is considered to be up to 8th grade level.

It's published by Bright Ideas Press, the publisher of Mystery of History. I don't know what I am going to have my daughter use when she studies U.S. history at high school level yet.

Do you all study world history in high school first ? I think I am going to use Streams of Civilization Vol I and Vol II for world history.

http://www.christianbook.com/century-volume-2-american-history-series/celeste-rakes/pd/247200?item_code=WW&netp_id=529349&event=ESRCN&view=details#CURR

We used Vol. 1 this year and enjoyed it. We are planning on using Vol. 2 next year. I am beginning my preliminary supplement search this week.

I think the general consensus is that both volumes need to be used in order to equal a full high school credit. Many people use Vol. 1 during the first semester and Vol. 2 during the second.

The author gives suggestions on books to read and activities to do to increase the cope and depth for high school students.

We used Vol. 1 this year and enjoyed it. We are planning on using Vol. 2 next year. I am beginning my preliminary supplement search this week.

I think the general consensus is that both volumes need to be used in order to equal a full high school credit. Many people use Vol. 1 during the first semester and Vol. 2 during the second.

The author gives suggestions on books to read and activities to do to increase the cope and depth for high school students.

What grade is your child that is using this?

We are doing both volumes for 11th grade US History. There are assignments in the student activity book to upgrade this to high school level. Dd picked this herself. At first, I thought it was too easy, but I have found that if we get a harder text, dd will spend all of her energy trying to understand it, and not have any left to analyze it. When doing world history last year, we used Story of the World Vol. 4 for the modern part, and it was wonderful. Dd is willing to add some whole books to this, we will read Jungle, Marrin's Stalin and Hitler, Up From Slavery, and others.

Do you all study world history in high school first ? I think I am going to use Streams of Civilization Vol I and Vol II for world history.

I used Vol. 1 of Streams, Vol. 2 is a different author, and I took it back for a refund.

We did World History last year, it was rough, because 6000 years + of history in one year is rough. Dd snubbed Notgrass, but at the end of the year, I do think it would have gone better if we had done that. We did Streams, Vol. 1, then 6 chapters of BJU World History, then 2 chapters in Human Odyssey, then Story of the World Vol. 4 to finish. The easier format of SOTW (but great selections) helped facilitate the best six weeks of the whole year. That is why I am doing All American History this year.

Edited by Susan C.
messed up quote