Menu

How much does it matter which edition of Spielvogel I buy??

I know you can see the revisions listed online, somewhere--it was enough for us to use 5th edition (6th was just put out at that time, about 4 years ago--there may be a 7th now). I had a second edition (I'm talking Western Civ, by the way) that I got for about $2, but it was so abbreviated vs the 5th ed that it just wasn't even a toss up on which to use.

So, I say 5th or above. Whatever the wallet can take.

And, wanted to add, I don't like the treatment of the more modern period--say, 1960's and above. Just not indepth as compared to, say, the Middle Ages period.

I know you can see the revisions listed online, somewhere--it was enough for us to use 5th edition (6th was just put out at that time, about 4 years ago--there may be a 7th now). I had a second edition (I'm talking Western Civ, by the way) that I got for about $2, but it was so abbreviated vs the 5th ed that it just wasn't even a toss up on which to use.

So, I say 5th or above. Whatever the wallet can take.

And, wanted to add, I don't like the treatment of the more modern period--say, 1960's and above. Just not indepth as compared to, say, the Middle Ages period.

Thanks, Chris. I'm asking because the newest is the 7th edition. Yet, I'm considering using TOG and they list the 6th edition as an alternate resource. It sounds like I'd be fine buying a used 6th edition rather than splurging for the new one.

If you are going to use it for all four years, you might consider size. We have an edition (not sure which) that is broken into an A part and a B part. Since it gets toted around quite a bit, having two smaller books rather than one larger is very nice for us. There is a Spielvogel volume that is just moderns, too, which might be the solution to your not liking the coverage of that time period in Western Civ.

-Nan

If you are going to use it for all four years, you might consider size. We have an edition (not sure which) that is broken into an A part and a B part. Since it gets toted around quite a bit, having two smaller books rather than one larger is very nice for us. There is a Spielvogel volume that is just moderns, too, which might be the solution to your not liking the coverage of that time period in Western Civ.

-Nan

I bought the two-part book, too, for this very reason. I got the second-to-newest edition in great shape for about $15 on Amazon, IIRC. We are planning to use it for TOG.

There is a Spielvogel volume that is just moderns, too, which might be the solution to your not liking the coverage of that time period in Western Civ.

-Nan

Ooo, Nan, that's good to know! Is there another author with him (like Duiker or something) or is it just Spievogel?

I have an older Western Civ and my college age dd had to get the newest...so I could compare. Mine was adequate - in fact I used it as a spine for my co-op lectures. But hers was way better....dang. Cant win, gotta just work with what ya got....

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

-Nan

I did a search for Spielvogel and "Modern" on Amazon and what came up was put out by a different publisher (McGraw Hill), is that the text you are talking about? It was only around 400 pages and I couldn't find a grade level but am assuming that it's not college level like Western Civ and World History due to the publisher and grade level. Is there another volume I'm not finding?

I have, and really like, both his Western Civ and World History books!