Menu

Is anyone doing notebooking with Sonlight (cores 1-5)?

blessedmom3

We really love notebooking and the kids are learning so much . They also like to look again through the pages ( reviewing what they've learned ) months and probably yrs later. it's also great for portfolio which we are required to keep.

So is there any time left for notebooking ? Does anyone do that ? I would like to hear how you do it !

Well, we've been using SL since the beginning and just finished core 3 and I've never really done any notebooking. That is something I regret but I've never felt we had the time.

However, I purchased the Time Travelers Revolutionary War cd-rom earlier this year and we just started digging into it a couple of weeks ago. I've been reading the last of the SL read-alouds and my kids have been working on the lapbook portion of the TT program and it's been working out great. I plan to continue having them do the lapbooks from TT Early 1900's and Colonial Times cds with SL 4. When we hit the Ancients again, I'm going to do the TT Old Testament activity pak. I wish I had discovered these sooner.

There are also notebooking activities on these cds as well. I love the idea of notebooking even more than lapbooking but for some reason, the lapbooks seemed more manageable to me and I thought my kids would get more of a kick out of them.

Lisa

I am not in my groove yet with SL. Still trying to figure some things out...

but I am planning on using notebooking- and I did for the week we have already completed. I am planning on a notebook page a week in history, a page for every completed Reader, and hopefully- a page a week or concept/subject for Science.

I am using the recommendations for this found in the Well-Trained Mind and also what I have learned through using Heart of Dakota.

We notebooked from A Child's History of the World.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

We do - I began notebooking at the beginning of this year. I find it fits perfectly with the writing assignments already in the schedule and that it is easy to come up with more assignments based on books read. I also have gotten loads of Bellerophone and Dover coloring books and have the kids color them while we are reading out loud. Those go in the notebooks.

I don't mind spending lots of time on school during the day. In fact, my kids flounder (and so do I) when we don't have a lot to do. So the fact that we go all day and sometimes into the evening sometimes isn't a problem if we have a lot of extras included.

Another point to consider is spreading your core out over a couple of years. This would give you more time to spend doing the things recommended in TWTM.

I am really enjoying incoporating other ideas into Sonlight. I have found it to be quite flexible.

Rhonda , I like your site ! This past year we have created beautiful notebooking pages and I am so impressed about how much the kids remember . There are many free notebooking pages online and I also have the holdthatthought.com cd. for whatever I don't find online . I cannot imagine doing history or science without notebooking :)

However , I really need a pre-made schedule that's why I am planning to go with either SL or HOD . I am kind of nervous to go with a schedule though ... afraid that I might not keep up with it since I will have a pre-K , a K and a 2nd grader ! And a toddler in top of that !

Rhonda , I like your site ! This past year we have created beautiful notebooking pages and I am so impressed about how much the kids remember . There are many free notebooking pages online and I also have the holdthatthought.com cd. for whatever I don't find online . I cannot imagine doing history or science without notebooking :)

However , I really need a pre-made schedule that's why I am planning to go with either SL or HOD . I am kind of nervous to go with a schedule though ... afraid that I might not keep up with it since I will have a pre-K , a K and a 2nd grader ! And a toddler in top of that !

Thank you. :)

I love the SL schedule, but I don't try to do it all. Just keep expectations realistic. You've got your hands full!

I am not in my groove yet with SL. Still trying to figure some things out...

but I am planning on using notebooking- and I did for the week we have already completed. I am planning on a notebook page a week in history, a page for every completed Reader, and hopefully- a page a week or concept/subject for Science.

I am using the recommendations for this found in the Well-Trained Mind and also what I have learned through using Heart of Dakota.

We notebooked from A Child's History of the World.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

I would like to know why you did not continue with HOD . How does it compare with SL?

I enjoyed reading this thread a lot and I plan to check out some of the links provided for more ideas.

I just started homeschooling. I am using Sonlight's Core P4/5 with my five year old and we use some of our read alouds in our Core for narration. (Many of them are Aesop's Fables and that's what Well Trained Mind recommends using, early on.) We just started doing this, but I've been blogging about it, if you want to come over and see.

http://www.veronicaboulden.com/search/label/Narration

I think this "Narration Notebook" we are making is something that is going to be a real keep sake for us and I am very excited about it...

We just read a poem today in one of our Sonlight books that would be great for my daughter to put to memory. I am considering encouraging her make a notebook page for this, too, like The Well Trained Mind recommends doing.

I love that I can use the techniques and philosophies The Well Trained Mind suggests while also taking advantage of the schedule and books from Sonlight.

Note: We do take longer to get through material because we "add on" like this. We will probably be using this Core for 12-14 months by the time we are through, but I will just start the next Core when we are done. We work year 'round.

PS- I am not sure this is what you mean by "note booking." But, I'm putting my daughter's narrations into a note book, so...

Like I said, I am NEW to this! :)

Edited by VBoulden

I love Heart of Dakota. I really do.

I am using Little Hands right now with plans to use Little Hearts with those learners as soon as we are done.

And- it is still my back-up plan... so I haven't totally "officially" left.

Something about Preparing just--"tanked" us out.

I have a lot of young students- and am just "afloat"- literally in HOD levels and I just CANNOT manage it.

My backup plan is to move my oldest out and on into an older program (I had him combined with his next brother and it is just NOT working anymore)-

and then figure out what to do with my next two sons and daughter.

Also- I really, really love the concept of Sonlight and it is my "ideal" way to homeschool- but I really, really struggle with the content in some levels and that part just doesn't fit our family at all!

I prefer a more "bookish" "literature" study. Heart of Dakota has a very different flavor- although it is filled with books.

I could write ON AND ON AND ON about this- as I am currently in my most intense struggle with homeschooling our family I have ever faced. My oldest is a rising fifth grader and then I have five other children down to age 2.

4 ages 6-10 schooling this year. My six year old is still learning to read.

Anyway,

Heart of Dakota is lovely. Sonlight is rich and deep and challenging...

Heart of Dakota was making me a little stressed bopping around from student to student with activities and then trying to share a guide and books between me and two other students! Ahhh! It just sent me over the edge.

Probably TMI- sorry!

Hope something here helps!!!

Blessings,

Rebecca

I just realized you wanted a comparison.

Sorry.

They are very different programs with a very different "feel."

Heart of Dakota is very "skill-level" structured with learning plans based to strenthen skills of particular aged learners.

Sonlight is more structured Literature curriculum and then you "plug" in your skill learning through your LA, Math, Writing components, etc.

I hope this helps.

I will ponder and try to write a better comparison tomorrow!

Blessings,

Rebecca

So is there any time left for notebooking ? Does anyone do that ? I would like to hear how you do it !

Yes, we do. We either use notebook pages that can then be bound into a book at the end, or a visual arts diary as a journal. The kids write, draw, add pictures and maps about what they have read. I love looking back over old history journals they have done - it makes me all nostalgic...;)

This really appeals to me, but I am *not* creative and can never come up with good ideas and materials on my own. So, can someone please share what they consider the best web sights/computer programs/other resource materials that I could have on hand to really put notebooking into our days? I've already noted the things suggested in the previous posts, and thank you for sharing! I need an idea book or something, as well as page templates (??) to print and arrange. I love the idea of something 'personal' that my girls have had a hand in creating.

The fact that there seems to be notebooking or very little written work for SL puts me off completely as I feel that ds should be practicing writing and organising his thoughts. Rather than do this on top of SL I'd like to do it within it and therefore save time, so any pointers as how to do this would be great! We would be doing core 2

Stephanie

Thanks Rebecca , that really helps me to see a "picture" of Sl vs HOD. I think I am more inclined to go with HOD now.

Regarding notebooking , we do it after reading a book , a textbook , or for ex. a biography of an interesting person . There are a few sites that offer free printables . If I don't find anything , I have a CD-Rom from http://www.holdthatthought.com .

After printing the page , I ask my son to write a short narration and/or copy something from the book, color a picture , etc. He is only 6 so I don't ask too much from him :)

Right now he just finished Stuart Little so I printed this page and asked him to color the pic , then write something about Stuart . I trace one or two lines for him to write on if the page is not lined like this one .

http://www.coloring-pages-kids.com/coloring-pages/cartoon-character-coloring-pages/stuart-little-coloring-pages/stuart-little-coloring-pages-images/stuart-little-coloring-page-02.gif

Notebooking is great ! The kids love that , it improves their grammar , spelling ,writing and it is a purposeful copywork ! And it is a great memory for them to have .

Here are a few sites I use for that . Hope this helps someone.

http://www.currclick.com

http://www.homeschoolhelper.com

http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/profile/246

(science) http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/notebookpages.html

http://www.squidoo.com/notebooking

The fact that there seems to be notebooking or very little written work for SL puts me off completely as I feel that ds should be practicing writing and organising his thoughts. Rather than do this on top of SL I'd like to do it within it and therefore save time, so any pointers as how to do this would be great! We would be doing core 2

Stephanie

I was using WWE1 Workbook with my DS age 6 and after a few weeks decided to "do it within SL" instead. We are doing Core 2 and he is reading the 2 Int. readers and some of the 2 Adv. After he reads the book I meet with him and ask the comprehension questions from the study guide) or some of my own and then ask him a la WWE1 "What is one thing you remember from this story?" I write it down, he copies it onto a notebooking page (I've been using some of the free ones from notebookingpages.com) and he draws a picture. If applicable, I find a map from http://www.nationalgeographic.com/resources/ngo/education/xpeditions/atlas/index.html?Parent=usofam&Rootmap=uswa&Mode=d

and he traces and colors in and/or labels the location.

I'll probably add in misc. copywork from his readers when we find a really beautiful sentence.

Each page goes into a page protector and then into a binder.

My DS7 is much more advanced in his narration/dictation skills (he's mastered the skills of WWE 2 and some of 3) so I haven't exactly decided how to transition him into this method yet, but it will be similar.

I also plan to incorporate the same method with the History reading, Read-alouds, and Science.

We also have the Hands & Hearts Middle Ages kit to do with Core 2 and it includes some notebooking pages, coloring pages, and copywork. So, we'll be using that as well. And taking pictures of the finished projects to add in.

I've been wanting to do this but it never happened with Core 1 (well, maybe having a toddler, being pregnant, and then having a newborn during Core 1 had SOMETHING to do with it!)

Edited by Jennay

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread and am SO excited! We have been doing Core 1+2, but have felt like something is missing. Very excited about adding in notebooking. I felt like we were reading about stuff in the history texts, but it wasn't really sticking. I think notebooking is the answer I've been looking for! Thank you!!!! :001_smile: