Menu

Haircuts and Trees and other symbols of childhood

Wish I had a better title! :D

Dd got some sap stuck in her waist-length hair and trimmed the sap out herself--guess who got a haircut today? She donated 12 inches to Locks of Love (we have to send it in ourselves), and looks darling with her swingy, not-quite-shoulder-length hair.

I cried. Just a little.

It feels like there are endings all around me, and new beginnings coming up--I wish I had something beautiful to say, but I guess I'm just feeling a little shaken up--not in a bad way, exactly, just on the Edge of Profound! :D

I've been thinking of Jennifer in MI's fallen tree, and how I said it symbolized her ideal and her kids' childhood, and began thinking of those symbols in my life: my dd's haircut, and her going to 5th grade at school next year, and ds18's graduation and impending move-out (possibly), and other ds' acceptance to the Cinema program, and dh and my 25th Anniversary (July 6!). It's all so much--so much to commemorate, so much new coming, so much opportunity to let go and grow!

I've decided all I can control is my own reactions to my own life. I can offer encouragement, I can offer advice, I can offer a shoulder, a hug, a prayer. But the doing, the doing and the being is all theirs to do and be. Watching them grow, remembering the times past and the choices I've made--oh my Goodness! Who knew! Who knew they'd all turn out this way?

(Well, I believe Someone knew--glad he's got my back...)

So, here's to all the changes and choices, new adventures and old-and-familiar that's still in our lives--Here's to homeschooling, being There, Growing and Changing and Taking a Chance. Here's to manning up, letting go, putting on our Big Girl Panties, and being Grateful for it all.

Stay grateful. Stay hopeful. Remember the Joy. Endure what you must. Forgive and move on. Hang in there. Keep smiling, and all that stuff.

Happy summer, Hive.