Menu

Can a child doing the Great Books...

Really get enough out of it to call it history? I am considering a program (Angelicum Academy) and the great books program looks amazing! I don't see where they have a spine to bring it all together and have a question in to them. If it doesn't have a spine will it still tie things together enough? Thanks. Can anyone recommend a good spine for the ancients for h.s. Freshman?

My eldest is doing a great books study next year (not using a program). We will be using Speilvogel's Western Civilization and SWB's Ancient History as our spines.

Change SWB's to Medieval History and this is what we are doing next year.

My two eldest sons did Great Books with Angelicum although the eldest only did three years as he started in tenth grade with the first year. As a matter of fact my ds went on a trip organized by one of the families of his online classmates right now !

There study guides are really great, full of thought provoking questions and synopsis that help guide you in what you will be reading.

I guess since they get college credit for their course, if you opt for it, they are real history. The college track has more written work but the discussions, the readings and the study guides are the same. We just didn't think they boys would use the credits. We might change our mind for the next three.:)

My two eldest sons did Great Books with Angelicum although the eldest only did three years as he started in tenth grade with the first year. As a matter of fact my ds went on a trip organized by one of the families of his online classmates right now !

There study guides are really great, full of thought provoking questions and synopsis that help guide you in what you will be reading.

I guess since they get college credit for their course, if you opt for it, they are real history. The college track has more written work but the discussions, the readings and the study guides are the same. We just didn't think they boys would use the credits. We might change our mind for the next three.:)

I have been drooling over their book lists and wondering about their study guides. This is so good to hear.

Are the guides secular?

I wanted to mention that Angelicum and Great Books Academy are the same organization.

Great Books is secular in approach; their high school program doesn't include the Catholic religion courses. Angelicum's curriculum is identical in all subjects (including Great Books), with two exceptions - it includes the religion courses and the Great Books study guides have more of a Catholic emphasis.

This is the explanation I received from the Registrar of Great Books/Angelicum. I am heavily leaning toward Great Books for high school next year, so I've been researching a lot.

Thanks for the encouraging comments from Angelicum users!

My ds#1 is and was a history buff. He read everything I bought usually during the summer before we started. My ds#2 isn't built that way but was great a answering questions and building timelines. We worked our way through history that way.

I guess after doing history from 3rd- 8th grade with AA, we had done a lot of the timeline, famous people, events stuff and were ready to go deeper.

I know that we used other books than the ones AA suggested, the Anne Carroll books because I am not a history person and needed to read more to know enough to keep track of where we were.

I have been interested enough in finding a nice spine but since most of them just don't understand or include Catholic History, we just dipped into them.

I have a few Teaching company tapes, which are great.

I guess I would refer someone to WTM !

The house is also full of reference books and historical fiction. My dh usually fields the history questions.

sorry i am not much help