Menu

Auralog language software

I haven't used it much...just for the two lessons my ds has done at the library. But I met someone at convention whose ds had done the Spanish program. She was very pleased and said she'd purchase it again in a heartbeat. In fact, she was thinking about purchasing another language for him.

Okay, I can compare Rosetta Stone and Auralog, but only for Italian. However, I believe the methods of each program are similar.

Auralog presents much more material than Rosetta Stone, but has much less practice (good or bad, depending on you). Both aim to be "immersion" , but RS is much more sequential and easy to follow. Auralog makes you figure out an awful lot on your own.

I was a rank beginner in Italian. RS starts at the rank beginner level, and was easy to progress through. Auralog was not. I decided to work thru RS and a basic grammar workbook (by Barron's), before going back to Auralog. The Italian version seems to assume that maybe you've had some high school Italian and are trying to go back to it. However, Auralog is one of the few programs that can actually take you beyond the beginner level, and I will definitely use it in the future.

I'd try to get samples or get both from library loan to try it out beforehand to see how each work for you. Arabic is much more difficult for English speakers than Italian, and your dc should be prepared for significantly slower progress than in a Romance or Germanic language. Good luck!

Danielle

Thanks Danielle!

So maybe I should start him on RS and then move to Auralog after a year or two?

I'm very worried to spend that kind of money and he won't "get it"

or enjoy it. He's determined on Arabic because he wants to go into the USAFA and he thinks it will be a benefit knowing how to speak that language.

I think Spanish is the best to learn because there are so many Spanish speaking people...but what do I know??