Menu

benefits and drawbacks to parent taught drivers ed?

Our oldest is almost 15. He probably won't get his license until age 17 (when he'll be taking community college courses). I want him to get in plenty of practice with a permit between now and then. What should I consider when deciding whether to teach him myself or enroll him in a course?

Lisa

In some states, having a certified course may lower your insurance rates for your DS. Also, it'd give him experience driving with different people in different areas of town then you may take him. Also, if your ds learns through a course, he'll have the benefit of learning from someone that has taught dozens, if not hundreds of people to drive, and the car will be equipped with an extra brake, which may make it a bit less nerve wracking. After he finishes the course, you could (and should) definitely spend a lot of time with him practicing the skills he learned.

I wouldn't want someone else teaching my child driving skills. I can do it just fine myself.

If you are in IL, note that "If you are age 15 to 17, you may receive your instruction permit only if you are enrolled in or 30 days prior to active participation in an approved driver education class. Your instruction permit must be used in the driver education class when an adult instructor is sitting beside you. You also may practice driving with one of your parents, a legal guardian or a responsible adult approved by your parents sitting in the front seat. This adult must be at least age 21, have a license for the type of vehicle you are driving, and have at least one year of driving experience."

This is from http://www.sos.state.il.us/publications/rules_of_the_road/rr_chap01.html

The same site notes "If you are 17 years and 3 months or older, you may apply for an instruction permit without taking a driver education course.".. .

I don't think you can just teach your own kid to drive in IL (although we do have to get that 50 hours practice in!!!). Even if you do the bulk of it yourself, it seems you have to have that piece of paper proving your coughed up the money for a course, be it via the local driving school or high school. Sigh.

Carol,

I am assuming from your screen name that you reside in Illinois. In IL, if your child is getting a license at age 16 or 17, the child must take a state-approved Drivers' Ed course. While I had to do supervised driving with my son for 50+ hours, I am glad he had the benefit of a course. Also, our insurance would have chared more if he had not done well in his course.

HSLDA just put out a newsletter a few days ago on this very subject. States (especially California) were trying to make it harder and harder for HSers. The article may be on their website.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Surprising Changes in DMV Policy

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/ca/201006071.asp

Edited by H0MEFree
edited to add article link

like Ohio, where we live. The classes were very boring for my daughter, but she learned a few things, and reminded me of a few things I had forgotten! With the requirement of 50 hours of driving practice, I certainly had multiple opportunities to teach her plenty. But the actual "driver's ed" would not have been legal without the certified course. The only part of that that bothered me was the cost. She's a great driver at 17. :auto:

Her photo is Thelma Lou from Mayberry! Surely Themla Lou has no such bad driving habits to pass on, unless it's being too nice. ;)

:lol::lol:

You're a youngin', aren't you? Going by the avatar, I'd have to say that this one predates Thelma and Louise by a few decades:).

Yeah, yeah. I knew that was Mayberry's Thelma Lou (I'm not so very young!), I just couldn't let the Thelma Louise and driving connection pass by .....

ThelmaLouise3.jpg

You guys crack me up! Yes, it's Thelma Lou of Mayberry. Andy Griffith is part of the fabric of our lives:)

The state will definitely allow me to teach. It has to be one of their approved courses. I sent off for an info packet for parent taught drivers ed yesterday, and I think I'll have 7-8 options of state-approved curricula to choose from. (I believe I'll have to purchase these directly from the manufacturer.) Apparently in Texas, there used to be at least one free option, but the lady told me that ended in January of 2010.

Well, the only negative I can think of is that it just costs too much. Here, the cost of a 30 hour class is $425. Behind the wheel hours after that are an additional $60/hr. (To receive driver's ed credit I believe you need 7 professionally supervised btwheel, not positive though, it may be 6)Personally, from my own driver's ed class in high school, the classroom time is not worth that much. You are learning what you need to pass the written test. It just isn't that complicated. The behind the wheel is where it gets tricky and involves emotions. The savings for our insurance, even distributed over the 3 year break it gives, doesn't come close to recouping the cost of the class. For us, the break in insurance is $100 per year. The good student discount is helpful and easy though!

Also, though it is not a driver's ed class, dd17 has received the same insurance discount by taking a different type of driving class offered by BMW at a local community college. It cost $40 and lasts one Sat. from 8 until 4. You must have a driver's license already to be allowed to take it. It covers how to respond in emergency/bad driving situations and basic car care. They actually practice in somewhat controlled conditions how to use the emergency brake, come out of a spin (front and rear), how to drive into/out of turns at fairly high speeds, hydroplaning responses, and find out what it feels like when those antilock brakes activate. All of my kids will be taking this one as soon as they can! It was a great experience and taught her things that we NEVER could because they just don't come up. In fact, I just might take it myself next time!!!

Edited by Lolly

In FLorida, what we have to do is take a substance abuse program for 6 hours. You can do it online. THen you have to have supervised driving hours (I think 50 but don't remember) in various conditions- night, bad weather, etc. My son started the permit but turned 18 before he finished the one year period so he took the test and passed. My dd started the one year period when she turned 15 and ended up with a dl at 16 and 2 days. SHe has had way more practice on driving for that one year than most kids get with a driver's course. We will see where we are in 1.5 years when last one is 15. But if not required, I will teach again or have dh teach again ourselves. The substance abuse and road safety class was enough of that. The actual driving is what is really important. She drove on city streets, 70 mph highways, mountains, rain, snow, construction, etc. I can't think what she didn't experience before she got her driver's license. She even got experience with wild fires.

I didn't have to take a course and I don't know the laws of Colo (and I'm sure they will change before we are ready for this issue) HOWEVER, I think that this issue should be like any other. Take the course for all the reasons stated, but teach your child the other things you have learned along the way. I know that my parents taught me to drive on ice by having me drive on a frozen lake and learn (accident free) the way a car reacts on ice. I learned where my car bumbers were by knocking over cones (also how to parallel park this way) I learned how not to roll my stick shift car into the car behind me on a hill by using the emegency brake and first gear together. As parents we have all gained something from our years that we can pass on to our children, things that a course cannot teach for practical or insurance reasons.

Lara

...What should I consider when deciding whether to teach him myself or enroll him in a course?

Lisa

This is one of those subjects we decided to outsource and I am so happy we did. My dd took the AAA driving course which was recommended to us by friends. I honestly believe she is a much better driver than she would be if my hubby or I had attempted to teach her. It was $350 well spent, and in another year when our son is ready, he will take the AAA course also.

I don't think you can just teach your own kid to drive in IL (although we do have to get that 50 hours practice in!!!). Even if you do the bulk of it yourself, it seems you have to have that piece of paper proving your coughed up the money for a course, be it via the local driving school or high school. Sigh.

You are correct. We just went through this with DD. We tried to do it on our own but ended up having to pay $400 for summer driving school. A certificate from a certified driving school is required in order to get the license.

Our oldest is almost 15. He probably won't get his license until age 17 (when he'll be taking community college courses). I want him to get in plenty of practice with a permit between now and then. What should I consider when deciding whether to teach him myself or enroll him in a course?

Lisa

We're in AR. I told my State Farm agent that I homeschool. I provided him with a homeschool transcript for my 10th grader. I told him I taught her a drivers ed course myself and told him the curriculum I used. He said, "I believe you." and gave me the good grade discount and the discount for haveing taken driver's ed.

ThelmaLou,

My husband has taught #1 son to drive, and #2 passed his permit test today. He uses 'Help for the Teenager who wants to drive' by the National Drivers' Institute. This is one of the approved courses in Texas. It was recommended by a friend who has taught 3 of her kids to drive (1 to go).

It took our 1st son about 14 months to complete all of his work, and he had about 65 hours behind the wheel. I started being his front seat passenger when my husband had worked out most of the kinks. He is much calmer in the passenger seat than I am.

It will be awhile before I drive with son #2, maybe he will be ready in January. Then he can rack up a lot of hours driving us to all of our activities. We expect that he will get his license when he is 17, just before his senior year.

There are many other approved courses, but we have been very pleased with this one. Another one some of my friends like is 'Virtual Drive'.

Susan

Our state requires a formal, accredited course and you must provide a completion certificate to the MVD too BUT they accepted Driver's Ed in a Box which is a pretty good program. It varies by state as to the requirements but the link below can help - just click on your state and read what is required. Also DIB helps the parent-teacher correct any accumulated bad habits:tongue_smilie:

http://www.dmv.org/drivers-ed.php