Menu

Analyzing Shakespeare. I have a question...

http://www.folger.edu/template.cfm?cid=2591

That's a link to the free study guide from the Folger Shakespeare Library. It has articles about the play and suggestions for activities.

You might also just think about combining with a study of Shakespeare's life or the historical context of the play.

Another suggestion might be to read or see another play, either something else by Shakespeare or something that relates either historically or thematically and do some comparing and contrasting.

If your dc was in the play Macbeth, what would you add to it to make it a well rounded literature study of that shakespeare piece?

Thanks

How old is the child?

Historical context is very important when it comes to Shakespeare's work. Macbeth was written while James I was in power. Shakespeare's troop was given the title The King's Men by James I and Macbeth is considered a tribute as a result (he was James IV of Scotland). The work is loosely based on a former king of Scotland whom James I thought himself descended from.

Important point that I've seen mistaken in Macbeth: people frequently ask why the witches turn on Macbeth, *he* certainly thinks they turn on him. However, they were never on his side. They simply made a prophecy.

The themes of visions v. hallucinations, femininity v. masculinity, cruelty v. the hand of fate, kingship v. tyranny, power, betrayal, witchcraft (James I wrote a book on witchcraft), and weather are all important in Macbeth.

Important trivia point-it's never referred to by name in a theater, it's called The Scottish Play.

Wow! thanks for posting. I really have no clue as to what I am doing. Can you tell me of a good resource to help me with the historical context of shakespeare? We are hoping that she will be in some more shakespeare plays, so any help you can give this newbie would be appreciated.

DD is 14 y.o. by the way

Blessings!

Wow! thanks for posting. I really have no clue as to what I am doing. Can you tell me of a good resource to help me with the historical context of shakespeare? We are hoping that she will be in some more shakespeare plays, so any help you can give this newbie would be appreciated.

Blessings!

the Oxford School Shakespeare editions have notes in the back about the historical context of Macbeth. Mrs. Mungo hit it dead-on! And, the play is never referred to by its name, like she said. There have apparently throughout history been some incidents of "mishaps," shall we say, surrounding the play. Even our local community college theater director has a fit if anyone calls the play by its name.

Here's a link to Hamlet in the Oxford School edition (I linked this one on Amazon because it gives you a view inside the book. The link for Macbeth doesn't show that):

http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Oxford-School-Shakespeare-William/dp/0198321074/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207528247&sr=8-4

Good job, Mrs. Mungo!

the Oxford School Shakespeare editions have notes in the back about the historical context of Macbeth. Mrs. Mungo hit it dead-on! And, the play is never referred to by its name, like she said. There have apparently throughout history been some incidents of "mishaps," shall we say, surrounding the play. Even our local community college theater director has a fit if anyone calls the play by its name.

Here's a link to Hamlet in the Oxford School edition (I linked this one on Amazon because it gives you a view inside the book. The link for Macbeth doesn't show that):

http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Oxford-School-Shakespeare-William/dp/0198321074/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207528247&sr=8-4

Good job, Mrs. Mungo!

Hooray! My English major training with emphasis in Shakespeare is finally good for something! :lol:

Busy Bee-That was from memory but I have the David Bevington edition of the complete works and the Yale edition (I might still have the Oxford edition in a box somewhere). Almost any decent edition will explain the political situation at the time. A geneology chart with the rulers of England is a must in untangling the political web.