Menu

Dolciani after 6B...exactly what

AnneD

to buy, please?! I read many positives about this author but am overwhelmed and confused with various titles, editions, etc. Specific title, edition, ISBNs even would be very much appreciated!

If there are any solution manuals available, better yet!

Well, what I've read from some is the 1965 one, which I've ordered but haven't received yet. I also ordered the 1975 one. I don't know if there are any solutions manuals, but the answers to the odd problems are in the back. Since I spend a lot of time waiting for my dd's to swim, I plan to read the book and do the problems myself, since Algebra was easy for me back in high school and hopefully I'm still smart enough to be able to do this. I chose the 1965 one because I liked Charon's suggestion (on the old boards) of Gelfand's, and the 1975 one because I was doing Algebra at that age so I'm hoping it will be similar to how I learned. I've also ordered the 1970 one from the library, which is the only copy in our library network. Mostly to compare how the different versions work because I'm overthinking all of this. I overthink all our curricula:). If you ask me again in a few weeks, I ought to have the copies in hand to tell you ISBNs, unless someone else who actually has it in hand helps you here first.

in what you think when you get your copies in hand! I know what you mean by overthinking curriculum.....I'm starting to feel the same, especially moving into these levels.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'll try to track down a '60's/'70's copy to look at.

Anne

in what you think when you get your copies in hand! I know what you mean by overthinking curriculum.....I'm starting to feel the same, especially moving into these levels.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'll try to track down a '60's/'70's copy to look at.

Anne

The 1965 one arrived today, and it looks just like it came from the mid 1960s! I laughed when I saw the first chapter on sets, as I first remember learning those in Gr. 5, when new math finally caught up to me. It was a new school for me and they'd already been doing it, but the public schools in that town and my home area just started it that year. And it was in the next decade.

Modern Algebra: Structure and Method Book 1 (we're doing a 4 month review to learn the new systen and solidify a couple of areas to meet dd's goals) Mary P. Dolciani. There are 2 other authors, but I don't know if it's always the same group. copyright 1965, 1962, but it was listed only under 1965. Houghton Mifflin. I can't find the ISBN number, but for completely trivial information, my copy was apparently once used at Eastridge High School in Rochester, NY in 1970-71, at least according to the stamp and the name, etc used. Since its condition was checked as good, not new, it may have been used before. It smells like it comes from the 1960s. Not musty, but old. However, I thought there were going to be answers to the odd problems in the back, and I don't see any. I've either confused editions or methods, but since I've decided to do this with her, I'll solve first. How hard can it be for Alg 1;)? I did ace it back in the 1970s:D I'll let you know when the 1975 one arrives and also when the used Foerster arrives, which I bought for $1 as backup if she has trouble. After doing that I found out there are videos of various Algebraic topics at the library. Not sure how good they are, but we may try them if she's stuck and doesn't like my explanation or dh's (he's way more patient with Algebra than I am as I have to work hard not to be impatient if they don't get it right away. Plus he actually used Trig, etc, when he did Forestry so he used it longer. Now other subjects, I'm more patient with.)

thanks so much for taking the time to follow-up with all of that info! It really helps in figuring out all of the various options available. Since you mentioned algebra videos I thought I'd share this site in my bookmarks. http://hotmath.com/help/videos/

I can't vouch for it as we haven't used it but if you're like me (and with the overdue fees that our library charges on videos!) it might be worth a look! I think someone had mentioned on these boards that they are videos from the Thinkwell series.

(...and while I'm thinking of it, the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op is running a group buy on the Thinkwell series - I'm seriously contemplating the algebra there, too. I have purchased thru them before and all's gone well.)

Can you tell that I'm feeling the need for algebra support :)!

Anne