Menu

How is this for American Literature/History course

I am in PS taking U.S. 1 History now, and plan on taking U.S. 2 next year. I also plan on taking American Literature next year.

Would it be stupid if I were to learn from my textbooks about what I was reading. For example, If I read a book about Puritans, I would read about Puritans in my textbook, watch movies about Puritans and do projects/essays on Puritans.

I already did U.S. 1 though, and this is my dilemma. I don't feel I learned a lot in U.S 1 because we skimmed over a lot of stuff. It was supposed to be a Pre-AP class, but I didn't see that at all.

Here are my questions:

1. Would reading a book, and then learning about the time period in the book be adequate for a U.S. History course?

2. Would it be dumb to go back over U.S. 1 if I already did it?

3. If I didn't read a book about a certain time period, would just doing the chapter work be enough?

Has anyone does something like this before? Thanks.

I am combining US History and Am. Lit. this year as well. What I did was get hold of a Norton's Anthology and the US History text book. I paced the lit readings to the history readings. In her reading summaries I will expect my dd to address what was going on historically. It seems that most everything in the early part of the NA is written in response to some historical event so, it is easy going at first. Once we hit the 20th century, I think it might be harder to match things up.

1. Would reading a book, and then learning about the time period in the book be adequate for a U.S. History course?

Yes! you might want to add some kind of ch review or tests in there to be sure you truly learn the information.

2. Would it be dumb to go back over U.S. 1 if I already did it?
I wouldn't. Look at what the colleges you'll be applying to require. Several in our state require World Civ or an equivalent, plus 2 other yrs. I think going on to Econ/Govt next yr may be more important. Everyone's education has holes.

3. If I didn't read a book about a certain time period, would just doing the chapter work be enough?

Yes, I'd still be sure to do a ch rev or test.

When I was in PS I don't think it would ever have entered my mind to do extra work for a history class! However, since it seems like that's what you want to do, here are some ideas.

I'd start with whatever textbook the school has given you. Bear in mind that pretty much all history texts are biased some way or another and see if you can find the bias in your textbook. Since you are in public school it probably has some kind of secular bias. Read the textbook for a general overview.

Then, go to a library or online and look up a secondary source about the time period. Or, if you want to be daring, you could try and find some primary sources! Primary sources can be confusing depending on the topic, however, especially if they have no commentary and/or you don't have anyone to help explain or clarify if you get confused. Secondary sources will have their own interpretations on the topic. You could try finding a source which disagrees with what your textbook says, so you get different viewpoints and thereby a more balanced opinion.

There is no way you will have enough time to read a book about everything you're learning in the textbook, so pick the things which seem the biggest or have the most emphasis. Or pick the things which you find the most interesting.

I would say it would not be a waste of your time at all to go over US1 material again in more depth. You'll learn more and hopefully have fun!

I'm a college senior who's majoring in history, so I guess I like it now. I didn't like it in high school though, textbooks are VERY dry. Good luck on your journey and feel free to PM me if you want to ask questions. I *might* be able to help with book recommendations too, though I make no promises! :) Have fun!!