Menu

My dd (12.5) was just recommended for the Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program). She'll need to take either the SAT or ACT next winter. Does anyone have any experience with Duke TIP or opinions on which test they'd recommend? Thanks!

My son just took the ACT through Duke TIP this past year. We went with the ACT for a couple of reaons. It is the more "common" test done in our area, and there is no penalty for "guessing." We chose to take it in February. Also, we chose a smaller, rural school for testing rather than the MEGA high school in the district that we technically live in. Worked very well for us.

All the best to your dd! Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Go to the library and pick up a book with practice tests. Look at the book to make sure they are real practice tests (from other years) and not just pretend tests as some books are harder than the real one. Then have her take one of each - doesn't all have to be in one day even for one test - and see which one suits her better. It's worth checking, plus, then she'll have an idea of what the test is like.

My dd (12.5) was just recommended for the Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program). She'll need to take either the SAT or ACT next winter. Does anyone have any experience with Duke TIP or opinions on which test they'd recommend? Thanks!

I chose for my ds to take the ACT for very specific reasons. The writing portion is optional and last. (The SAT writing is not optional and is 1st.) The ACT does not flip through the topics. English is 1st, math 2nd, reading 3rd, and science reasoning 4th. The SAT rotates through portions so they do a section of critical reading followed by a section of math followed by more critical reading than more math, etc.

I knew my ds was only going to qualify in math and that the reading portions would be difficult for him, so I didn't want his math score affected by the stress of interspersed reading sections. He knew with the ACT he only had to get through the one before the math section came and he didn't have to stress through the writing section. (He qualified through JHU. JHU does not even look at the writing portion. I am not sure about Duke and whether or not they do.)

FWIW, the test themselves are equally accepted. So, it is a matter of knowing your child.

I chose for my ds to take the ACT for very specific reasons. The writing portion is optional and last. (The SAT writing is not optional and is 1st.) The ACT does not flip through the topics. English is 1st, math 2nd, reading 3rd, and science reasoning 4th. The SAT rotates through portions so they do a section of critical reading followed by a section of math followed by more critical reading than more math, etc.

I knew my ds was only going to qualify in math and that the reading portions would be difficult for him, so I didn't want his math score affected by the stress of interspersed reading sections. He knew with the ACT he only had to get through the one before the math section came and he didn't have to stress through the writing section. (He qualified through JHU. JHU does not even look at the writing portion. I am not sure about Duke and whether or not they do.)

FWIW, the test themselves are equally accepted. So, it is a matter of knowing your child.

My dd is only trying to qualify in language areas. What advice did you give your ds when he was approaching the reading/language sections? I know there is no way that my dd will be able to do most of the math and I know that this will stress her out because she's very perfectionistic. SHould I just tell her to try the problem and then fill in a random bubble for the ones problems she cannot do?

Go to the library and pick up a book with practice tests. Look at the book to make sure they are real practice tests (from other years) and not just pretend tests as some books are harder than the real one. Then have her take one of each - doesn't all have to be in one day even for one test - and see which one suits her better. It's worth checking, plus, then she'll have an idea of what the test is like.

My friend whose two sons took the ACT in 7th grade jsut gave me two books to use last night. I'm intimidated! LOL

My 13 yo dd took the ACT because she is very perfectionistic. I thought she would be qualifying with the math but she ended up qualifying on both. THe reason for the ACT was two-fold- guesses don't penalize and no writing required. She really didn't want to do the essay.