Menu

Dishwasher detergent advice PLEASE! (oh and a rant...)

RANT: I'm generally a pretty "green" person - I use natural cleaners, etc., but I have to say I'm thoroughly frustrated with the removal of phosphates from dishwasher detergent. Not only are they no longer getting clean (I used to be able to wash them with a basic scraping of big chunks), now NOTHING I do helps keep the residue off: LemiShine with the detergent, LemiShine rinse aid (which I can't find anymore -- it was AWESOME), vinegar rinse, JetDry in the reservoir.

I know that we have really hard water, and apparently phosphates helped with that issue. And before the detergents were phosphate free, I always had squeaky clean, spot and residue free dishes while using Cascade Complete, LemiShine and Jet Dry. I know phosphates are bad for lakes and streams (cause algae) but isn't it counterproductive now that I have to do THREE washes just to get my dishes clean? First I wash them in EXTRA hot water on the EXTRA long pots and pans cycle (extra water and electricity), then I rinse them in a vinegar rinse to get ride of the residue (extra water), then do a third rinse (even more water used in this very water-deprived state) only to get rid of the very noticeable vinegar smell and taste on the dishes (my kids noticed it even though they had no idea I'd done a vinegar rinse).

It's absurd. FWIW, I've tried three different dishwashing powders now (I gave up on gel 2 years ago even though we have one of those nifty bulk reservoirs for gel, as gel is supposedly bad for the dishwasher's inner workings per the dishwasher repairman): new formula Cascade Complete (the worst of the bunch for leaving white residue), and Cascade with Dawn and Cascade Ultra (from Costco - I think this is actually the same as Cascade Complete because it was just as bad as CC from Target).

Has anyone else noticed this? I can't find Cascade with phosphate in it anymore even though it is not illegal in my state. END OF RANT.

Now -- any further suggestions???

I do notice my dishes do not get as clean when the water softener runs out of salt.

If you don't have a water softener:

The borax site says it's ok for use in dishwashers.

http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about

Dishwasher

Boost the cleaning power of your dishwashing detergent by removing hard water minerals and residues from the wash water.

Add 1/4 cup 20 Mule Team® Borax in the bottom of the dishwasher to reduce spots and film from dishes and glasses

I'm surprised you had residual vinegar smell. When do you add it? I went to Home Depot about 3 months ago to talk to them about water softeners. As I told the employee that the main problem I had was my dishes not getting clean, she told me what she does: Add about 1/2 cup of vinegar to a custard cup on the top rack when you start the cycle. I have been doing it ever since, and it works perfectly! If my hubby starts the dishwasher (he doesn't do the vinegar trick) the dishes come out cloudy and spotted.

I do notice my dishes do not get as clean when the water softener runs out of salt.

If you don't have a water softener:

The borax site says it's ok for use in dishwashers.

http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about

Dishwasher

Boost the cleaning power of your dishwashing detergent by removing hard water minerals and residues from the wash water.

Add 1/4 cup 20 Mule Team® Borax in the bottom of the dishwasher to reduce spots and film from dishes and glasses

I always have Borax on-hand. I'll try this.

I'm surprised you had residual vinegar smell. When do you add it? I went to Home Depot about 3 months ago to talk to them about water softeners. As I told the employee that the main problem I had was my dishes not getting clean, she told me what she does: Add about 1/2 cup of vinegar to a custard cup on the top rack when you start the cycle. I have been doing it ever since, and it works perfectly! If my hubby starts the dishwasher (he doesn't do the vinegar trick) the dishes come out cloudy and spotted.

I was putting about a 1/4 cup in the washer and then running a rinse cycle after the pots and pans cycle completed. I'll have to try WITH the cycle. That's a good idea.

I have tried too many products to name. I must be as "green" as possible as the water runs into the garden via a greywater system.

TRADER JOE'S POWDER is fantastic! Clean clean clean.

Do you have hard or soft water? If hard, do you use any type of rinse aid? The "greener" LemiShine rinse aid version TOTALLY ROCKED but now I can't find it anywhere. I haven't tried 7th Gen, etc... only JetDry (which isn't that great)

Do you have hard or soft water? If hard, do you use any type of rinse aid? The "greener" LemiShine rinse aid version TOTALLY ROCKED but now I can't find it anywhere. I haven't tried 7th Gen, etc... only JetDry (which isn't that great)

Very hard. We do have spring water, though, so maybe things are different for folks with "city" water (?). I don't use a rinse aid (I tried the vinegar trick with some other brands of Detergent but it did not work for me). I do have a box of 7gen. powder that bought as a back up (my TJ's is 2 hours away) but I have not used it yet. Will report when I do! TJ's works well enough that once I finished using the rinse aid that came free with the DW I never needed to buy more. Good luck in your search! It's such a little thing, but when it doesn't work it turns big!

We have hard water and I try to be "green" with detergents. The only "green" powder I have found that works is Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Auto Dishwashing Packs. They are those individual packets that you put in the detergent cup. Otherwise I use Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Dishwasher Soap (it is a gel). All the other pour in type powders I have tried leave a nasty, cloudy film on my dishes. Mrs. Meyer's is more expensive than other brands, but they work.

Oh, I have also tried Method brand that Target sells. I have tried their dishwasher packs and those worked fine as well.

We use Shaklee products, including their dish wash, and LOVE them.

Here is some info if you are interested:

Dish Wash Automatic Concentrate

Size: 2 lb. With Dish Wash Automatic Concentrate you’ll never have to wash a dish before you put it in the dishwasher or use earth-adverse chemicals to get your dishes clean. This patented, super-concentrated formula lets you use just a little for a whole load of sparkling dishes.

ptpamedia_logo100.jpgPTPA provides an objective means to discover, appraise and promote new products designed to enrich family living. Awards are presented to companies whose products are deemed exceptional by a knowledgeable and unbiased panel of experts.

http://ewing-enterprises.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=00295

I haven't read through any of the other replies so someone may have already posted this.

I had the same problem with the residue. It was so frustrating to open that dishwasher and know that the dishes wouldn't be clean and in some cases I would hand wash them after taking them out and the residue would still be there.

I searched online and this is what I found. It is almost exciting now to open my dishwasher and see those squeaky clean dishes.

First you need to run your dishwasher empty with about 2 cups of white vinegar dumped in the bottom of dishwasher. Use the hottest temp wash and use your dry cycle. I may have done this step twice just for good measure.:D

I bought the Electrosol tablets that are rectangular, blue and white, with a red ball in the center of them. I put that in the main compartment--the one that pops open after the dishwasher has been running for a few minutes. In the other compartment (i think it's the pre-wash compartment or something like that) I fill it half way with baking soda and half way with Tang orange drink. Not a joke...seriously. It's a breakfast drink; it's dishwasher detergent. Who knew. :lol::lol: I also still put about a 1/2 cup of vinegar down in the bottom of the dishwasher. Still do the high temp and dry cycle.

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

Tracy

Dishwasher Magic! Amazon sells it. I havent' found it local to me but haven't looked far and wide.

I have been having similar problem. Using dishwasher magic once a month has worked well, and using the vinegar in a cup turned upright on the top rack when I start the dishwasher.

you can usually find it where the sell the canisters of kool-aid and lemonade.

I know it sounds corny but for 2 1/2 years or so I had tried many different detergents--even the electrosol that I am recommending in my previous post--and still I had the residue. It wasn't until I finally used the combination that I described earlier that I finally have clean--and I mean CLEAN-- dishes.

It worked instantly and has ever since. I probably don't need the vinegar every time in the bottom of the dishwasher but I do it anyway. Probably using the vinegar once or twice a month would be plenty. I'm not willing to risk it though.:D

Tracy

Disclaimer: I do NOT have a dishwasher....

but I remember seeing a recipe online for homemade dishwash powder. I do not have the recipe or a link at this time, but I know that borax and plain lemon kool-aid were two of the ingredients. There was either one or two additional common ingredients. I know the lemon kool-aid was supposed to help keep the dishes spot-free and not cloudy. Maybe a quick search would give you a recipe to try?

Edit: I did a quick search, and got dozens of recipes of course. Most often they include the borax, lemon kool-aid or citric acid, kosher salt, and washing soda. Might be good to try. Almost makes me wish I had a dishwasher!

Edited by BridgeTea

Eventually the phosphate-free dishwasher detergent will be the only type available, as state by state new "green" legislation is passed (much like the CFL's phasing out the incandescent light bulbs). I just read an article about the green detergents where people were driving to the Sam's and Wal-Marts the next state over to buy the "old" kind of detergent because it was outlawed in their state. Unfortunately they didn't give any advice on how to make the available detergents work better.

I sure wish the Trader Joe's powder worked with our hard water... I really really wanted to like it, but it was awful.

Probably differs according to which minerals are in the water or something. Hee hee, maybe I'll try Trader Joes again with a dash of Tang, and see if that helps. :D

(In my area, the Ecover tablets and the Method tablets work well- not perfect, but better than anything else I've tried.)

I sure wish the Trader Joe's powder worked with our hard water... I really really wanted to like it, but it was awful.

Probably differs according to which minerals are in the water or something. Hee hee, maybe I'll try Trader Joes again with a dash of Tang, and see if that helps. :D

(In my area, the Ecover tablets and the Method tablets work well- not perfect, but better than anything else I've tried.)

TJs NEVER worked for me when I was near Fresno. Now it does work even though I have hard water in both places, I am in a different state with a different water composition.

BTW you should see the junk my water distiller pulls out of my water! Hard shale rock formations!

My dad told me that as of July 1 the phosphate dishwashing formulas will no longer be sold in the U.S. (he is a phosphate salesman so he keeps up to date on these issues). So if you see it available somewhere, and you want it, get it now... We've got three boxes of Cascade under our kitchen sink, LOL.

Dishwasher Magic! Amazon sells it. I havent' found it local to me but haven't looked far and wide.

I have been having similar problem. Using dishwasher magic once a month has worked well, and using the vinegar in a cup turned upright on the top rack when I start the dishwasher.

Walmart carries it.

I have been frustrated with my dishwasher for many reasons. One thing that my husband read in the manual is that if your hot water heater is far away from your dishwasher (like ours is) then they recommend running the hot water in your sink (until it was very hot) then running the dishwasher.

This helped things somewhat, you might try it.

I experimented and found a good combo:

1 Method Smarty Dish tablets (grapefruit scent, but I don't think the scent makes a difference) for the prewash, and one in the main compartment mixed with some LemiShine. I washed on Pots-n-Pans with extra-hot water (our machine superheats the water). Not a single residue spot on the dishes for the first time since I bought that awful new formula Cascade.

I tried just 1 tablet with LemiShine the second time (it was a light-duty load) and I ran it on standard wash with super hot water. Turned out fine.

So I think, though they are much pricier than a box of Cascade, I'm going to switch to Method Smarty Dish. Plus the pouch is pink and the tabs smell great.

The handyman (grrrr) that is contracted by our landlord bought the cheapest dishwasher he could find when the other one went kaput. Our dishes don't get clean unles you practically wash them first so....soap doesn't even enter the picture.