Menu

College dual credit

My son plans on starting dual credit classes next semester at the local community college. The college wants to limit him to only two classes a semester. He had hoped to take a full load. Has anyone else faced this problem?

If your students are taking classes, how do you pay for them? There is a limit of 4 dual credit classes for high school students. Will he be able to use FASFA?

Thanks for any help.

In His service,

Ann

Our local CC will allow juniors to take a max of 2 courses per semester, which they call "enrichment classes." However, seniors are allowed to take a full load of 5 courses per semester, which they consider "dual enrollment." Dual high school/college credit is granted for both enrichment and dual courses. That's how it works in my state anyway. However, the local public university has no such requirement and doesn't ask questions regarding grade level as the local homeschoolers have discovered. I know of one local homeschooled boy who took computer classes when he was 12, and he ended up helping the college age students. Of course, it is hundreds of dollars more at the university compared to the CC. I've also learned that Harvard Extension has several young students attending their evening classes.....and some are online and are fairly reasonable. I cannot help you with FAFSA as I charge tuition on my credit card.

We are planning that ds18 (a jr this year) will take 12 credits next fall at NoVa CC. That's the limit for dual enrolled students. However, because he is a year behind (we held him back), we have decided to figure out a way for him to graduate in December (or Jan, whenever the first semester at CC is over). Then he can take a "full load" the second semester.

We have some college money saved (not much), and we will use that. It's only about $87 a credit here for CC, so it's about as cheap as online or co-op classes (in some cases, a lot cheaper!).

My son plans on starting dual credit classes next semester at the local community college. The college wants to limit him to only two classes a semester. He had hoped to take a full load. Has anyone else faced this problem?

If your students are taking classes, how do you pay for them? There is a limit of 4 dual credit classes for high school students. Will he be able to use FASFA?

Thanks for any help.

In His service,

Ann

Would you be willing to share where you live (the state at least)? Policies regarding dual enrollment vary widely, and really only those who live in your area could give you reliable advice concerning your own cc.

The college wants to limit him to only two classes a semester. He had hoped to take a full load. Has anyone else faced this problem?

I don't know where you are located, but some of this might be applicable:

First, from the Netnet site (www.netnet.org)

Are You Eligible for Federal Financial Aid?

Your financial need is just one criterion used to determine whether or not you are eligible to receive aid from the federal government. In addition, you must

• have a high school diploma or GED or pass a test approved by the Department of Education

• be enrolled in a degree or certificate program

• be enrolled in an eligible institution (see below)

• be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen

• have a Social Security number

• register with the Selective Service (if required)

• maintain satisfactory academic progress once you are in school

*In Texas, high school students who want to take dual credit classes usually won’t qualify for financial aid, since most aid requires that you be enrolled at least half-time as a college student. However, some community colleges waive tuition for dual credit courses – ask the college of your choice what financial aid options it offers for dual credit students.

Me again. In the DFW area:

Both TCC and DCCCD told us that dual credit could not be paid for with federal grant money. If you filled out the FAFSA, the DCCCD-Eastland FA officer said she she might be able to connect a dual credit student with some private scholarship money (slim chance). DCCCD has a policy that the first two classes per semester are free to dual credit students, but that additional classes are paid for by the student. Students have to buy their own books. TCC has no free classes. The two closest DCCCD campuses to us had varying policies on which classes could be taken as dual credit, with one applying a very stringent core class policy and the other allowing more choices.

If your student is interested in UT Arlington, they also have the Honors Academy (Early Enrollment Program) for which there is specific admission criteria for testing scores. The classes are more expensive, but not full cost, and there is a scholarship provided if a student then continues at UTA and maintains a specific GPA. The math works out well. :) A student can enroll in a full academic load at UTA. I don't know if there is FA available for the dual credit work or not.

HTH

Thank you ladies for your help.

Valerie, I did look into the program at UT Arlington, but we are an hour southeast of Dallas. It was just to far.

Our little local cc has had bad experiences with homeschooled students. Most wanting to start are not prepared for college level classes. It is quite frustrating to be compared to them. Life goes on.

If only I lived in CA!

I am a CC professor at a state CC, and the college I work for has the same written policy of only two classes per semester, BUT I know that they've made exception if the student proves themselves. Several homeschooled students that I'm aware of have graduated from H.S. and C.C. the same day, and others got a full year of college done before graduating from H.S.