Menu

Auralog for Spanish?

It's four levels...complete beginner (no previous exposure), beginner, int. and advanced. So I would think you could safely list Spanish I, II and III. (It does have the grammar and cultural aspects that RS lacks. That's what I hear mentioned when people talk about RS not being credit worthy.)

I am throughly confused by all of this Spanish discussion. I have chosen Rosetta Stone Levels 1 & 2 and have been using them in conjunction with Breaking the Spanish Barrier 1, 2, and 3 for grammar. My plan was to give credit for Spanish 1,2,3, and 4. The publisher and various other curriuculum providers lead me to believe this was an accurate assessment of this program. If it does not count , what do I need to add to make it qualify as a four year credit? We are just about done with level 1 of RS and I would prefer not to have to start from the begining again. What is the current view of Auralog or Switched on Schoolhouse? Where do each of these rate? Are they counted as four year programs? Where would we start if we switched over? It seems like everyone (Veritas Press, Sonlight, and others) was praising RS as this great program. Even SWB seemed to recommend this program. Has she changed her mind? I am so confused. Can someone shine a light as to what program a non Spanish speaking parent can use to qualify for 4 years of foreign language credit? We only have four years left and I need to swich before it is too late. Please HELP!!!

and I posted a similar question a while back. I did order the Aurolog demo and, although it looks a little boring, I am willing to use it if I can count it as 4 years of Spanish. I did find a pricier option that would guarantee 4 years of credit- Keystone National High School. They have a pretty thorough website, though I still have a few questions that I intend to ask at our homeschool conference in June. I was happy to see them listed on the lineup, since I have been looking at them for a while now. Check them out-the cost might be worth it the peace of mind.

It really depends on where you are going for college and what they will accept. I know that here in NE the University will not accept RS for high school Spanish. They will admit you but you will be considered deficient in a foreign language. The student can try and and pass a proficiency exam, which I have heard is difficult, or the student will have to take a basic foreign language. On the other hand if you graduated from a public/private school and sat through their Spanish class and didn't learn anything they will accept those credits because it is coming from an accredited source.

Yvonne in NE

I am throughly confused by all of this Spanish discussion. I have chosen Rosetta Stone Levels 1 & 2 and have been using them in conjunction with Breaking the Spanish Barrier 1, 2, and

I am so confused. Can someone shine a light as to what program a non Spanish speaking parent can use to qualify for 4 years of foreign language credit? We only have four years left and I need to swich before it is too late. Please HELP!!!

Hi,

There are several High School Spanish scope and sequence charts on the internet that might help you determine if you will be doing enough to count four years of Spanish. Here is a link:

http://www.archkckcs.org/curriculum/ForeignLanguage/spanhssc.htm .

I'm sure that this varies somewhat from state to state and high school to high school. But it should give you an idea of what a college expects for four years of high school. If memory serves me right, the first two years of a language should cover most of your grammar. Most of the first year should cover present tense and some past tense. Second year covers the more complicated tenses such as perfect tense and pluperfect (what that was I can't remember). I think the second year is more translating, and by the third and fourth year the student should be reading entire books in the language being studied. Of course, don't forget conversational skills either.

HTH,

Jan