Menu

How many weeks in a school year?

thowell

We also school year around but mostly through the months of June, July and first 3 weeks of August we only do 3 days a week with math, spelling, reading, and some science experiments. I am using our main curriculum from the end of August through the end of May and trying to figure out how to split it up. So I guess we do alot more than 35 weeks also.

This year I scheduled 38 to give us extra time to finish anything that needed finishing and to just take it slow.

We are officially done, but one son is still doing Algebra with about 30 more lessons to go, and the other is practicing his time tables. There is no schedule, though. They can get up at any time and do what they have to do at any time of the day.

Ah...the lazy days of summer!

Dee :)

In my state we don't have a specific number of days, but need to do a specific number of hours in both core and elective subjects with a minimum number completed at the home school....all other hours can be outside the homeschool.

Quick question on this (I'm a newbie!)-- we're in GA and they require 180 days and we have to submit attendance to the county each month. I just wonder...I mean my child who was in PS last year didn't go 180 days...they had 4 snow days and he was absent for 13 days total (he got the flu in the fall). So if I don't account for 180 actual days, is that Ok? :confused:

Quick question on this (I'm a newbie!)-- we're in GA and they require 180 days and we have to submit attendance to the county each month. I just wonder...I mean my child who was in PS last year didn't go 180 days...they had 4 snow days and he was absent for 13 days total (he got the flu in the fall). So if I don't account for 180 actual days, is that Ok? :confused:

I think that it depends upon your school district, at least in PA that's how it goes. We also have to have a yearly evaluation by a state endorsed evaluator. If you do too, your evaluator may possibly be able to give you a correct answer if you don't want to contact the school district directly. In PA, they're pretty strict so we MUST to do 180 days or 900 hours for elementary, 180 days or 990 hours for secondary.

Since we'll be registered as a private school, there's no requirement (California). We're "officially" doing 38 weeks, at 4-5 days a week (so between 152 to 190), but we learn new stuff during breaks too! I believe that public schools must go for 180 by law, but our charter school (for the last 4 years) only scheduled 175 student days.

In the past I've planned for 36 weeks/180 days.

Last night I just drew up the plan for this next school year. It stretches over 34 weeks but is only 165 days (equivalent of 33 weeks) due to labor day, 3 b-days, and Good Friday.

I know that whatever we don't get finished we will finish up over the summer (as we are doing this summer). But I'm thinking that with a little shorter school year and a few more breaks in between we'll actually maintain the stamina we need to have very little if any "summer school."

Washington State is 180 days or 1000 hours. 180 days is easy, but that would 5.5 hour days! Yikes! Needless to say I count everything including 2 1/2 hour baseball games as P.E. :tongue_smilie:

Missouri is 1,000 hours also (not specific number of days though) - July 1 to June 30 school year.....the requirement is broken down into requirements though - 600 hours of core subjects (reading, LA, math, science, social studies) and 400 hours electives (or more core hours)......of the 1,000 total hours, and specifically of the 600 hours of core lessons, 400 of those hours need to be in the primary school location (home for us) and the remaining hours can be anywhere. So for us, things like swimming lessons or piano count toward the elective hours, field trips can go either way, and the time we spend at home each day counts toward the primary school location - basically I have to keep a running tally of what we do and where we do it, although we have no formal reporting, just need to keep evidence of compliance just in case.

Out of 365 days in a year, surely there will be 180 of them that you can check off your dc as present.:)

For myself, *I* would be checking off Monday through Friday (discounting legal holidays) until there were 180 days, regarldless of what happened in the house, but that's just me.:D

Usually, I figure 36 5-day weeks or 180 days of school. :001_smile:

Same here, but in reality I just go until I feel like stopping. I use 36 weeks for scheduling purposes, but towards the end I combine or skip to end when I choose. Oddly enough, DS ended up with exactly 180 days. DD ended up with 176. I still can't figure that one out. (We use HST, otherwise I'd have no idea how many days we schooled.)