Menu

Have you "heard" these books? What are your favorites?

I am trying to order books on CD from the library- we love to listen as a family while we are driving around on vacation. I see some threads with least favorites but how about your most favorites. Our dc are dd almost 15 and ds 13.

And please note if you have listened to them, not everything is available that way. Here is a list of some of what I am considering.

Pride and Prejudice

David Copperfield

Robinson Crusoe

Swiss Family Robinson

Oliver Twist

Watership Down

Treasure island

Silas Marner

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

jane Eyre

Redwall

the Call of the Wild

Paradise Lost

the Yearling

The Hiding Place

We have heard already;

anything...Anne of Green Gables

To Kill A Mockingbird

All of Narnia

A Wrinkle in Time

Beric the Briton

A Basket of Flowers

Harry Potter

The Cat of Bubastes

Tom Sawyer

the Light in the Forest

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry

pippi Longstocking

Johnny Tremain

Old Yeller

Charlie and Choclate factory

The Indian in the Cupboard

Beowulf

the list is much longer and I keep editing as I think of them, but this is a good start.

kathy

Edited by rockala

My ds and I are huge audio book fans.

The entire Redwall series is enjoyable to listen to.

Most classics are a great listen, though much depends on the narrator/reader. The Naxos label usually has good production values. My favorite Austen reader is Nadia May, but I know there are many others equally good. My boys can only take bits and pieces of Austen though, so I listen to these for my own pleasure.

I've not found Watership Down on audio. I read it aloud and it was a big favorite, and we'd love to find it.

The Harry Potter books are a terrific listen. Jim Dale is the reader of the American versions, and he has also done recordings of Around the World in 80 Days and Peter and the Starcatcher. He could read the phone book and I'd listen!

The James Herriot series are also a wonderful listen. The reader is the actor who played James Herriot on the old BBC series.

Rascal is another family favorite. Jim Weiss has a recording of it.

Sherlock Holmes stories are wonderful on audio. Try Hound of the Baskervilles or the short stories. We have the Naxos editions.

TH White's Once and Future King is a wonderful listen, especially the first book, The Sword in the Stone.

I'm sure you've figured this out, but watch out for abridged editions. When publishers first started producing audio books, they assumed no one would listen to 12 or more hours of a book, so most were abridged. Within the last few years they've realized that audio books are a big market and that we listeners want the complete book.

Check out Audible.com for downloadable books, or just to listen to samples as they have many versions of each classic. They have amazing sales, especially for members. We download everything to iPods. My current car has a built in dock, but in my last car I used one of those inexpensive adaptors that fit into the cassette slot in the car stereo.

Happy listening!

Two books that we enjoyed listening to as a family (I'm sure there are more, but these two stick in my mind!) were Dracula and The Hobbit. (Hmm, Dracula and the Hobbit sounds like an intriguing title in itself!)

Regards,

Kareni

Of the books on your list we've listened to Redwall and Treasure Island. If you can, get the dramatized version of Redwall--it is absolutely wonderful to listen to, far better than the read version.

Ds's were a bit young when we listened to Treasure Island but they still enjoyed it.

Other ideas:

A Year Down Yonder and other titles by Richard Peck

Rocket Boys and Sky of Stone by Homer Hickam

Ok, drawing a blank on other titles right now.

Cinder