Menu

Math question re: Richard Feynman---

About 5-6 years ago I read the book Genius by James Gleick about Richard Feynman. Here's the link, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Life-Science-Richard-Feynman/dp/0679747044/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207425865&sr=8-1

Anyway, I read in the book about Feynman's famous lectures on physics. I bought one of those sets (not the complete set, but a portion thereof) for my dad for Christmas a few years ago. My father is an amateur science/math lover.

I thought I read in this book on Feynman that one of Feynman's lectures was on mathematics, and that it was one of the most stunning lectures he ever attended. Feynman traced the methodology of math from basic addition and subtraction all the way through the upper-level maths. However, I don't know if this lecture was incorporated into the lectures on physics series, or even if it was ever recorded.

Does anyone have any additional information on this? If so, I would love to find out! If possible, I'd like to purchase that lecture, if it was ever recorded, and give it to my dad. I've mentioned this lecture that I thought I read about to him before, and he's said each time, "I'd love to hear it."

Any help is appreciated!

http://www.physicsforums.com/

Someone on the WTN forums recommended this forum for looking into physics books for high school.

It was the first I ever heard of Feynman and his name comes up a lot. Someone there also mentioned that his New Zealand lectures were online. Unfortunately, I've looked through about 100 pages there, so I have no idea which thread it came from.

I have The Feynmann Lectures on Physics, a three-volume set. I think Chapter 22 in Volume I is what you've heard about, or at least it seems to match your description.

22. Algebra

22-1 Addition and multiplication

22-2 The inverse operations

22-3 Abstraction and generalization

22-4 Approximating irrational numbers

22-5 Complex numbers

22-6 Imaginary exponents

Toward the bottom of the first page of the chapter he says,

"To discuss this subject we start in the middle. We suppose that we already know what integers are, what zero is, and what it means to increase a number by one unit.... the assumption that we know what integers are and we know how to count."

I have no idea if this section is part of the recorded lectures, sorry.

I just wanted to add that Richard Feynman's biography is also great reading.

From Book News: "Classic Feynman: all the adventures of a curious character

by Feynman, Richard Phillips.

Comic stories about his life and work by American Nobel laureate physicist Feynman (1918-88) are compiled from his 1985 Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and 1988 What Do YOU Care What Other People Think. The included compact disk contains 19 recordings of him telling stories."

Some of the stories he tells are laugh out loud funny!

Regards,

Kareni

I just wanted to add that Richard Feynman's biography is also great reading.

From Book News: "Classic Feynman: all the adventures of a curious character

by Feynman, Richard Phillips.

Comic stories about his life and work by American Nobel laureate physicist Feynman (1918-88) are compiled from his 1985 Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and 1988 What Do YOU Care What Other People Think. The included compact disk contains 19 recordings of him telling stories."

Some of the stories he tells are laugh out loud funny!

Regards,

Kareni

and I've heard of the other. I didn't know that there was a CD of him telling stories. That would be hilarious to listen to! Thanks for sharing!