Menu

Oklahoma

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, now I'm embarrassed -- I had you confused with someone here who is 'just passing through', military family.

Anyway, I'm not an OU fan either, we just happen to depend on them for our livelihood so we live right here :) Here in Norman, OU is a big deal so it looks like my perspective is skewed and I didn't know it!

This is my first full year of educating my children at home and so far we're having a marvelous time! I have a 4 yr. old daughter in K and a 7 yr. old daughter in 2nd grade. These boards have been a life-saver for me -- providing a wealth of experience 24/7!

We live in Owasso (a suburb just North of Tulsa). I received my undergraduate degree from Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, but I've been a life-long Sooner football fan. Nice to meet you!!

Yes Heather, my girls participate in the Heartland Home Educators group which meets at Owasso Assembly of God. It's soooo nice to have co-op classes offered 5 minutes from my home! We're used to driving into Tulsa for everything (which isn't that far) but it's still nice to have this so close. My dd7 is taking a Young Rembrandts drawing class and a drama class this semester and dd4 is taking a music & PE class. I've heard of FAITH. I know that Tulsa/Broken Arrow has several large groups to choose from! It's nice to meet you!

Here's a list:

http://www.tulsahomeeducators.com/html/opengroups.html

Not all are listed there I see. There is another, CHEER (Christian group), that is pretty nice. It's a large group but very organized. We were members last year but I returned to FAITH this year.

Are you more interested in a "secular" group or are you looking for a religious group?

I'm a little uncomfortable with having to sign a "statement of faith" to become a member. Not for religious reasons. I'm a run-of-the-mill Southern Baptist, so I think (as closely as I've looked) that I don't disagree with the statements. It just seems nit-picky.

I've looked at HERO a bit, but I just haven't run into people that know anything about them.

Oh Snickelfritz, how I wish there was a vibrant group in the Tulsa area that was not exclusive based on a religious statement. The only one I know of is Cornerstone and it's a great group of people, but they only meet once a month for a support type meeting. They don't have any co-ops set up -- it's participant-driven and I think most people just do their own thing.

We finally just joined the group here in Owasso (which has a faith statement), because I wanted my girls to be able to participate in some of the classes, activities, field trips, etc... but it hasn't provided much of a support for me personally. I am a Christian BUT I do not believe in excluding other people simply because they don't share my views. If memory serves me, that's not how Jesus lived his life either.

Nice to meet you Martha :)

I'm in the minority. Statements of faith don't bother me. *shrug* The things that are in our group's statement are basic things that we believe anyway.

Ah don't sweat it. I'd share coffee, chocolate, and a playdate with you anyways.;)

Hi all. We're in our first year hsing...6yo girl, 3yo boy, 1yo girl...still feel like i'm crawling around in the dark groping for the flashlight, but we're doing okay, i think! :)

we live up by that "other" school, which is where my hubby and me met! :)

Glad to be here!

Hi there, mommahawk -- I'm glad you introduced yourself :) The first year of HSing is like nothing else! This is my third year HSing; my first year I only had our younger son at home, and the second year our older son joined us. That was another big adjustment. But it has been so very worthwhile.

I hope we'll see you over on the K-8 Curriculum board (area? forum?); it's a great place for questions and support.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Better late than never - right??? New to the board but I have been lurking for years. We live about 10 miles east of Edmond on about 200 acres. I have been homeschooling for 6 years. I have 2 daughters 11 and 9. I am a former public school teacher. That is my story and I'm sticking with it!!!! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi there... Just got off the phone with dh who is in the Army Reserves. He is away for the next 30 days instructing, but just called to let me know he was asked to put in for a position in Tulsa.

Please, someone HELP me! Really, I've been so consumed over the past few months researching all things homeschooling/curriculum, etc. and just as I feel comfortable with our decisions I have something else to consume me. :)

So... anyone from Tulsa care to e-mail me so that you can give me the low down on what area(s) to look for homes, churches, school districts (youngest is slated to start K in the fall... we were planning on ps). Really... my head is spinning... and I need a big, fat :chillpill:!!!!

Thank you :)

Oh, my e-mail is laura s 74 @tds . net

I've never done the spacing thing with e-mail, but I see it done all the time, surely there is a reason?

feel free to contact me. Tulsa is just like anywhere else - it's got it's pros and cons. There's many homeschool support groups, the state as a whole is very hs friendly. housing is not being hit here nearly as badly as in just about any other state, so you should be able to find a home withut undue fuss.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nice to meet you!! :)

For what age? What all have you do so far?

I have a dd9 & ds12. I do things with a small group of friends that range from 6 to 15 years old. We have gone to the sheep farm in Claremore, the fort at Fort Gibson, & Murrell Home in Tahlequah. We haven't really done anything real local. Just looking for some ideas. If anyone has anything they really enjoyed I would love to try it. Thanks!

It would be great for that wide of an age range. It has hands-on science exhibits, IMAX theatre, planetarium, etc...

Oxley Nature Center--In Mohawk Park where the Tulsa zoo is. They do guided nature tours.

The June Tulsa Kids magazine had some neat ideas:

*Berry picking (could probably google berry farms.)

*Parking the car for the day and riding the transit system. I believe it hits Philbrook and Gilcrease.

*PAC productions

*Farmers Markets (there were several around Tulsa)

When you're in Tulsa, look for the free Tulsa Kids magazine. The July edition doesn't have the huge list of activities, but there is always a calendar of events in the back. Free musical productions in parks, childrens theatre, etc... I know you can find them in the magazine racks as you leave Toys R Us.

It would be great for that wide of an age range. It has hands-on science exhibits, IMAX theatre, planetarium, etc...

Oxley Nature Center--In Mohawk Park where the Tulsa zoo is. They do guided nature tours.

The June Tulsa Kids magazine had some neat ideas:

*Berry picking (could probably google berry farms.)

*Parking the car for the day and riding the transit system. I believe it hits Philbrook and Gilcrease.

*PAC productions

*Farmers Markets (there were several around Tulsa)

When you're in Tulsa, look for the free Tulsa Kids magazine. The July edition doesn't have the huge list of activities, but there is always a calendar of events in the back. Free musical productions in parks, childrens theatre, etc... I know you can find them in the magazine racks as you leave Toys R Us.

Thanks for the ideas. I am really trying to find some "odd" places anyone may have gone and really enjoyed. For example we went to see the Tomato Man in the Glenpool/Sapulpa area. We learned all kinds of things about heirloom plants and different types of tomatoes. We even learned that the best fertilizer is sheep doo! I think that these are my favorite fieldtrips. I do enjoy going to the Philbrook on the second Sat. of each month. They have free admission and a self-guided tour that covers some area of art followed by a craft project downstairs. Everything is absolutely free.

My oldest is only 4 1/2, but I'm finding that I'm already feeling isolated. Friends have sent their kiddos to school and are going back to work or getting busy with the PTA. I've looked at a few websites, but I'm not sure what would be a good fit.

Have you looked into CHEER? I hear that it is really well organized and offers speakers at monthly meetings, fieldtrips, & some co-ops if you choose to do those later in life. I think that I would join it if I didn't live so far away and gas wasn't $4/gal! LOL!! I have thought of joining just to go to the monthly meetings. It meets somewhere off of the creek nation near or in BA.

Have you looked into CHEER? I hear that it is really well organized and offers speakers at monthly meetings, fieldtrips, & some co-ops if you choose to do those later in life. I think that I would join it if I didn't live so far away and gas wasn't $4/gal! LOL!! I have thought of joining just to go to the monthly meetings. It meets somewhere off of the creek nation near or in BA.

Wow, I'm slow getting back to this. I belong to CHEER and it meets at my church, Cedar Ridge Christian Church near 101st and Garnett. We aren't meeting for the summer, but will start in September.

I'm in Broken Arrow.

BTW, since everyone seems to be doing a bit of intro- I've hs'd for 13 years and currently have at home dd14 (in a few days) and ds10. Would sure love some socialization options for ds, but something that doesn't take us away during school hours. We've lived in OK exactly one year.

Nice to "meet" y'all.:seeya:

Have you looked into CHEER?

At this point, I prefer things that don't require joining committees and attending mandatory meetings. I've looked into the Cornerstone homeschooling group, but a friend and I are talking of doing a Sonlight co-op. Get together once a month for crafts, cooking, games, etc.... THAT'S the kind of commitment I like. :D