Menu

What microscope to buy for 9th grade biology?

I was wondering this too (about Apologia Human Body), and a mom here who teaches AP biology for our homeschool co-op told me not to get one. She said to rely instead on images from the internet, as they'd be much better quality than anything we'd see on a microscope. She said not to spend the $$.

I went with this one

We'll see how it goes this year.....

-crystal

:iagree:

That's the one I'm planning to buy too. Hometrainingtools.com has a comparison chart which I had DH go over. We both think that for the price it's very comparable to more expensive microscopes. It doesn't seem like there's significant differences between the one sold by Apologia, Sonlight or HTT, and they all receive excellent reviews.

• 1 year later...

This one came highly recommended on a Yahoo group by someone who used to work behind a microscope daily. In her opinion, the mechanical stage and oil immersion lens (for 1000x) was worth it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not we need to buy one, but I've saved that info for when the time came.

HTH!

Not one of my guys love science so take that into account.

Bought one, used it often the first two weeks then only occasionally for the actual bio course. Take a look at your book. How often do you have to use it?

If I'd done that I would have saved the money. It's on the shelf, in a box where it's been for two years now. Maybe I should set it up and let the kid's mess around with it. I'm so anal about them breaking it, I've kept it put away. :glare::glare:(Bad hs mom, bad, bad)

I was wondering this too (about Apologia Human Body), and a mom here who teaches AP biology for our homeschool co-op told me not to get one. She said to rely instead on images from the internet, as they'd be much better quality than anything we'd see on a microscope. She said not to spend the $$.

I think it might depend on your purpose for wanting the microscope. If you simply want to look at images, use the internet. However, I think there is value in learning to operate a microscope. We have a cheap one that does fairly well, we'll upgrade for high school. DS and I both have a blast just looking at anything under the scope. IMO it's a valuable part of learning the art of science.

I would also spring for one with the mechanical stage.

This one came highly recommended on a Yahoo group by someone who used to work behind a microscope daily. In her opinion, the mechanical stage and oil immersion lens (for 1000x) was worth it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not we need to buy one, but I've saved that info for when the time came.

HTH!

I was looking at this one too, but then I saw this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q768K8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER. Now I can't decide. Has anyone used the Amazon microscope?

Amy

We bought this one: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/home-iris-diaphragm-microscope/p/MI-4100SPL/

I spent the extra $20 from the home microscope because the light source has an adjustable iris (rather than just 5 discs of varying size), which I like much better, and it offers better image contrast and resolution. This model came with a small free kit, too, which was nice.

However, I also bought the mechanical stage because this is a MUST to me. It is SO much easier to move the slide around with 2 little knobs and cover all the area methodically in a grid-like pattern than moving the slide around with a finger. LOL

Yes, I think that having a microscope fosters a wonder and curiosity about the world that can't quite be matched with books or even what's available on the internet. Maybe not necessary, but pretty important for us. Even so, it was hard to gulp and press "submit order" to pay that much money for our microscope! LOL I'm glad we did, though.

We found mosquito larvae in our decorative water lily pond and were fascinated! But disappointed we didn't see other tiny creatures in that sample. lol Next stop: the creek!

We're going to do blood typing on all of us with a cheap kit from CBD.

Our lizards shed skin was pretty stinking cool...as was our own skin, hair and more.

Anyhoo.