Menu

Need writing advice from the hive....

Yesterday my dd (11th grade) took her SAT for the 2nd time. I asked her what she thought and she said it was better. However the writing was still a challenge for her. She actually said to me, "Mom, they must teach PS kids something different. All the PS kids around me wrote 2 full pages for their essays and I could barely finish a page". This is my child who hates writing. I have had her in 2 outside the home writing classes and last year we did IEW at home. I really felt she was "getting it". Now I am doubting myself. She understands what a paragraph needs (topic sentence, supporting evidence, and concluding sentence) but her writing sounds exactly like she speaks. Also her paragraphs are not well developed.

I also realize that she has never had to take an essay test. And with her senior year coming up I need to get her prepared for college writing and testing. I am considering putting her in a writing class at our co-op. Does anyone have advice??? I am just panicking at this point and don't know what direction to head for her senior year. I am struggling with the feeling of failing her.

Thanks for listening.......

Just my two cents, of course . . .

I think very highly of the Potter's School English classes. My two girls combined have taken six years or so of their English courses, and almost all of those years have been excellent. Their teachers seem to do a great job in teaching writing.

If a full year course is not an option, you could try the 9-week Essay classes at Write at Home. If you take 4 of those classes, though, you're actually spending more than you would with a year of Potter's School.

I wish you wisdom in deciding! :)

Is this the one that you did with her previously? There are also resources (sold by Rainbow) which are SAT essay writing practice. We've not yet done the SAT, as my student is still prepping, but I thought I'd throw these two thoughts out there.

Wishing you well... :)