Menu

Apologia DIVE vs Red wagon DVDs....

I posted this in response to another thread, but don't know if you read it or not. Don't know if this will help, but here it is:

I have not used the DVD's, but my dd took Biology from Mr. Rosenoff a few years ago when he was still teaching at Potter's School. He then started selling his class recordings, notes, tests, etc. as a package through his site - Red Wagon Tutorials - while teaching classes for Apologia (even while at TPS, it was in agreement through Apologia). Now Apologia, CBD, and Rainbow also appear to be selling his DVD's - they are all the same thing I believe.

Anyway, he has a lecture for each half module, each of which lasts about 90 minutes or so, plus extensive class notes. As far as honors, he designates it as "honors" biology, done as he suggests with extra formal lab reports, etc., but it is not AP level (you would need the human anatomy and physiology part too). We didn't use "honors" on her transcript, because that seems a vague term, but that was just our choice.

For labs, he gave them links to places to see what they were to be doing for the dissections, and for some they had to find their own as part of their lab report. (but he didn't do lab demos at that time). He places a lot of emphasis on how they write their labs up, some formal, some informal. There were 20 required labs, with the microscope ones being suggested but optional.

For the tests, he had them do the study guide to prepare and sometimes my dd took the Apologia test for practice. I liked his tests better, since most of the vocabulary terms were done multiple choice instead of writing out the definitions as Apologia does. My dd thought that his tests were overall harder than the ones from Apologia though.

We have not used the DIVE CD's, but my impression is that using both for the lectures would be a lot of overlap. I think you would want to choose one or the other. Mr. R's are more customized specifically for the Apologia text.

He is a fun teacher - unique sense of humor - and very responsive to any questions we had. My dd enjoyed the class even though she is not particularly interested in science. HTH!