Menu

Can someone explain the Lial's Algebra Math texts?

Sounds like a dumb question, I know. But I picked up 2 Lial books yesterday at our used curriculum sale, I am so excited. I really no nothing about them other than I have seen some threads here about how great it is. I have done a search and seen some recent posts and think this will be a great fit for my rising 10th grader. I plan on using Intermediate Algebra 8th edition, the hardback green book for Algebra 2, and I also picked up Introductory Algebra for review and to use with my 2nd child for Algebra net year.

Here is what I bought, what else do I need to purchase? I looked on line and saw there were some online tutorials and CD's?

8th ed student book Interm. Algebra & 8th ed annotated teachers edition (this book is also green but has a bridge on the front)

8th ed Introductory Algebra & 8th ed solution manual

Thanks!

Edited by mamato4girls

You won't need anything else. The Lial curriculum is written to the student to self-teach. You probably won't need the TE, but it may be nice for answers to even problems. (Honestly, though, I'd just have your student work the odds, and check answers in the back of her own text.) You will be happy to have a solution's manual for your Algebra 1 student next year...that much easier to check own work.

Lial books are written for remedial learning of high school material at the community college level. So, they are written for adult students, and directed toward the student to self-teach. My younger dd used Intermediate Algebra and PreCalculus at home (she'd already completed an Introductory Algebra course).

HTH,

Lori

Margaret Lial has 2 different Algebra series through the SAME publisher (Pearson/Addison Wesley) While both programs contain the same essential teaching, they do differ a bit--so they are not 'compatible' (solutions, TE and such).

The 'developmental' series is issued mainly in paperback. This is the one that I use with my online classes. It has 'Introductory' Algebra 1 and 'Intermediate' for Algebra 2. Practice problems from the lesson are included in the sidebar.

The other (only issued hardbound) series has a change in layout (practice problems from the lesson are included in the problem set). 'Beginning Algebra' is Algebra 1 and 'Intermediate Algebra' is Algebra 2.

---

Make sure that any supplements you purchase go with YOUR series (go with YOUR student text). I know that the isbns for the supplements of the developmental series are listed on the back covers of the text and the TE.

For Algebra 1 the student text is the minimum purchase... solutions and videos (called DVTs) are optional and I'd wait to purchase until you knew if they were needed.

For Algebra 2 the student text is the minimum, but the solutions manual is recommended. Videos are optional (I would NOT suggest using the videos on a daily basis for either level--the text has enough teaching).

Both texts have ALL of the answers you will need in the back. I assign the ODD problems from the problem (homework) sets. Both series were designed for BLOCK scheduling--so each lesson should be worked over 2 days--you can also split up the teaching part by example if needed). I always assign ALL of the chapter review problems and I use the tests in the books.

Please let me know if you have any other questions...

Jann

It looks like you'll still need the student texts for both levels. As Jan said the TE really isn't needed for Inter Alg but we really found the student solutions manual to be very valuable for me. I also agree with Jann, make sure you have the same edition number for both level books.