Menu

Need Help Choosing a Physics Curriculum

Guest cbrown

Guest cbrown

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and a bit nervous.

I am looking to prepare myself to better teach physics. I will be teaching part-time this coming year and still homeschooling my kiddos. I am mathematically and scientifically inclined (life sciences - that is); however, I have not had a physics class in about 18 years.

I am leaning toward Apologia b/c that is what my kids use, but I am wondering what your thoughts might be. I want something that is sound, provides lots of examples, and is written for the average high school student to understand.

Thanks for your insight!

Hi and welcome to the forums! :001_smile:

I don't know how much help I will be as I've never taught a class, but based on what you describe and the features you'd like to find in a course for yourself, Apologia sounds like at least a good place to start. My ds used both Physics and Adv Physics, took the SAT II in physics and did very well. The math there should be sound.

In prepping for the SAT II we always go through extra texts to fill in any gaps. The one we used for physics was College Physics by Serway and Faughn. I seem to remember when I was looking for a text there were reviews on this one to the effect that college students found it one of the more readable/understandable physics texts. It's a non-calculus based text, so the math won't be different, but it it will present things slightly differently than Apologia, so you'd get a different and perhaps broader perspective. It also gives a number of medical applications, which were quite interesting. Another text often mentioned on this board is Conceptual Physics, which is less math-based. I've never seen it, but the title implies it would be helpful for grasping concepts. The summer may be kind of short to get through all this material, but those are a couple ideas anyway.

Perhaps others will chime in with more/better ideas.