Menu

episcopal/anglican homeschooling resources?

ktgrok

I'm frustrated in my search for materials to teach religion to my son. It seems that the protestant materials are often not in line with our faith, in that we do not use a literal interpretation of the bible, but I'm hesitant to use Catholic materials. I'm gong to just start by having him memorize some prayers, but may end up ordering some sunday school curriculums. Has anyone used R.Catholic or Orthodox materials that would be suitable for an Anglican?

I'm Episcopalian and my husband is a priest. We really like Positive Action For Christ. We've used the 4th grade workbook this year, and it's given dd a nice intro to the Bible--NT, Life of Christ and Paul, along with some other things. Very much in line with what we believe.

If you want to make some cool materials, you could try to replicate the Godly Play ("Berryman" curriculum based on Sonja Stewart's work) stuff. You could easily make the parable boxes, some of the sacraments objects, and perhaps other things. You can order the people and the teaching books.

This is an involved way of presenting Bible stories and stories of our faith. It really is neat--our SS uses it for grades preK to 4th.

We're in the same boat here. We use the Imaging the Word books, although we've been very slack since before Easter! They are a great resource that follows along with the Lectionary with art, poems and writings - 3 volumes for years A,B & C. We read the appointed lessons from a translation Bible written at about 3rd grade level (I have had to edit occasionally) and then discuss the pictures from the Imaging The Word. Some weeks it's like pulling teeth, but at least the girls are hearing and thinking about the lessons before church. My girls also participate in RSCM training (Royal School of Church Music) as part of the choir training. They get a lot of instruction about worship, liturgy, prayers, etc. through that. If your parish doesn't have a youth choir program, maybe your dc could become acolytes or help with the Altar Guild. We also use Godly Play through 5th grade, so they've heard many of the Bible stories there. I figure this is a pretty good foundation along with the SOTW, church history (we'll be doing Middle Ages next year) and Bible Geography.

I spoke with SWB at the homeschool convention in Cincy and she said she is working on a Bible study that will not take a literal approach. (I hope I'm not mis-quoting her!) I think she said New Testament study will either be released first or she recommended using that one first - less carnage than OT. I'm looking forward to taking a look at that.

I'll be interested to see what other resources are being used.