Menu

How Long Does It Take Your Stove to Boil Water?

How Long Does It Take Your Stove to Boil a Pot of Water?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How Long Does It Take Your Stove to Boil a Pot of Water?

• Under 2 Minutes
    • Under 5 Minutes
    • Under 10 Minutes
    • Under 20 Minutes
    • Under 30 Minutes
    • Under 40 Minutes
    • More than 40 Minutes...Or, it never boils water!

I said under 20, but it generally takes 10-15 minutes for it to start boiling. In our last home we had a gas stove, and the water sometimes wouldn't boil at all. I started putting the lid on the pan to get it to boil (I guess the lid helps it retain more heat).

ETA: Now we have an electric oven/stove, and it works much better than the gas did.

My husband thinks our stove isn't out of the norm, but I'm trying to convince him it's horrible! Ours regularly takes 30-35 minutes to boil water.

How much water?

At my house, a small saucepan will take about five minutes (less if it is only half full). A large pot (8qt) will take significantly longer -- over 10 minutes.

Also, are you at high altitude using gas? If so, you won't get as much heat energy out of your burners as you would at low altitude because there isn't as much oxygen at high altitude. If you are using electric, this wouldn't be a factor.

30 minutes does seem to be at least twice as long as it should take, maybe even 3 times longer.

My husband thinks our stove isn't out of the norm, but I'm trying to convince him it's horrible! Ours regularly takes 30-35 minutes to boil water.

Gas or electric? How much water? Mine is a very basic cheapie gas range, and even my 8 qt pot does not take that long. Probably about 20 minutes at the absolute worst (big pot, very cold water, no lid). Normal sized 2 qt pot takes about 8-10 minutes.

It's an electric and fairly new (~5yr). The problem is that it only has 2 burners and the other side has a grill (we don't use). The double burner side can really only fit two small pots or one large pot at a time.

Anything large does not entirely fit on the burner and two sides sit on the white framing (mainly why it takes forever, but small pots that fit take a long time also ~20min).

I'm lobbying for a 4-burner induction cooktop.:D

It's probably not your stove, it's your pot. Thin pots boil very fast, but have the disadvantage of not maintaining steady temp. Thick pots take forever, but retain heat and are good for uses where you want a steady temp.

So, for boiling water and boiling foods, thin is in!:D

My own example--I have a thin pot that will boil a half gal of water in about 5 minutes on high. I can put the same amt of water in my dutch oven pot and it takes about 3 X as long.

I have one of those evil glass top things... boils water in just a few minutes. I honestly think the thing is possessed.

Me too. Mine's fairly new (had it less than 2 years). It was quite a shocker. I had no idea water could boil that fast! :lol:

It's an electric and fairly new (~5yr). The problem is that it only has 2 burners and the other side has a grill (we don't use). The double burner side can really only fit two small pots or one large pot at a time.

Anything large does not entirely fit on the burner and two sides sit on the white framing (mainly why it takes forever, but small pots that fit take a long time also ~20min).

Okay, you have seven kids and a two burner stove?! :willy_nilly:

Get you a new stove girl!! Good grief! :tongue_smilie:

We've got one of those glass-top stoves. I've never seen it boil water. I get tired of waiting and just dump in the pasta anyway. We have an electric tea kettle so I use it for most of my boiled water needs. That will boil a pot of water in less than 4 minutes.

It may be something that is common in the glass-top stoves. When we were in the cabin I tried making candy apples on that glass-top stove. The candy part never boiled so it never set up.

Two different brands, two different houses I won't ever buy or recommend a glass-top stove to anyone.

If we ever get out of rentals I'm getting a good gas stove.

Ours takes forever. It is has cast iron burners that take forever to heat up and NEVER cool down. It is impossible to regular temperature. We have a hot water thingy on the sink that puts out water for instant coffee, I usually fill my pot up from it and then boil the already steaming water. Otherwise, I would go insane. I really hate this stovetop!!!:glare:

How much water? What kind of a "kettle" or pot?

I have a 3 year old ceramic top. Not top of the line, but not bottom either. For a tea kettle (that's what I assumed the poll meant) that has a clad bottom and conducts heat really well, it only takes 2 minutes.

To boil enough water for a big pot of pasta in a stock pot (also clad) it takes about 8 minutes.

Oh I want one of these too. It's on my dream wish list. I have an aging coil stove and when I started looking into replacements I learned about induction. It fits ever criteria I had for a stove. Now I just have to keep the coil one limping along for another year until I get my tax refund NEXT year.

My mom has a glass top electric stove and I HATE that thing. It takes eons to cook anything and it puts so much heat into the air that even in the middle of winter I break into a sweat trying to make a meal on it.