Menu

How Do You Afterschool History And......

We have SOTW. However, I did it more like a unit study (Prehistoric unit, Mesoptamian Unit, Egypt Unit, Greek Unit, etc). In that unit, we listened to the relevant stories on cd, I read several books as a read aloud at night, put some that they can read in the reading baskets for their reading homework, try to do a couple of the activities in activity guide on the weekend, have them summarize what they know about that time period for our Book of centuries/make a lap book. We try to rent a few documentaries, etc.

Guest wendyroseville

We are afterschooling with SOTW. My dd is in first grade, so this year we are doing the ancients. We read a chapter every Monday night and then follow with supporting literature at bedtime a couple of nights that week. We do mapwork, related projects or field trips on the weekends.

-Wendy

For something easy, listen to the SOTW cds in the car. Then you can do activities at home to match. The stories are short, though. My kids would listen to story after story at a time but when they reached the end of the cd they wanted to hear it all over again. They knew the stories quite well this way but I had to give up controlling the pace of the stories to match the activities. I just let them listen as much as they wanted and reminded them of the part of history that the activity was aimed for. We got lazy about the activities after a while but the listening was so easy we kept that up for a long time. Later I found some other titles at the library for history books on cd. In fact I haven't done this for a while, I think I'll get it going again. We are short on time lately and are spending a lot of time driving to and fro. Might as well carschool.

For something easy, listen to the SOTW cds in the car. Then you can do activities at home to match. The stories are short, though. My kids would listen to story after story at a time but when they reached the end of the cd they wanted to hear it all over again. They knew the stories quite well this way but I had to give up controlling the pace of the stories to match the activities. I just let them listen as much as they wanted and reminded them of the part of history that the activity was aimed for. We got lazy about the activities after a while but the listening was so easy we kept that up for a long time. Later I found some other titles at the library for history books on cd. In fact I haven't done this for a while, I think I'll get it going again. We are short on time lately and are spending a lot of time driving to and fro. Might as well carschool.

This is what my 4th grade does--SOTW in the car, while in the tub, on the way to sleep, etc. He does all the history narrations orally as I prefer he concentrate all his writing efforts during CW:Aesop lessons. I type his history & science narrations, and he does an illustration or pastes in pictures off the WEB.

Also, we attend programs at the local museums that provide history focused hands-on activities.

Guest TripsinMI

Hi,

We do a chapter a week from SOTW. I have them read it into the computer. I put it on an MP3 player and listen to it in the car for review. We do the maps always. Rarely do activities. Test orally sometimes and sometimes with the test booklet. They seem to like the tests on the sheets. I think they compete with each other. The boys are the most competive. We also do grammar and math. We find a way to fit it in. In reality math is something the schools seem to do a pretty good job at.

Paul

We also use SOTW. We're using volume 2 for my 2nd grader, and my kindergardener keeps up well. This is our first year afterschooling rather than full-time homeschooling, and I regret very much that the activities in SOTW are one thing that got cut now that we have so much less time together. I'm excited to pick them back up again in the summer. Our history projects and activities are some of our best memories of homeschooling.

We try to read one section three times a week, reading related literature from the booklists on the other nights along with a book or two of their choosing that they read to me. The kids love to color the activity pages while I read. We review the previous lesson first, read the section, and then discuss and answer the review questions or do an oral narration.

The kids love to do history and beg me for it, sometimes actually crying when it's gotten too late for a lesson!