Menu

My 9 YO aspie had his third Strabismus surgery yesterday....

so far his eyes look really great. In fact, it's the best alignment that he's had so far.

He has his first post-op appointment on Monday so we'll just have to wait and see.

After his first surgery, he overcorrected and walled way out. The second surgery only partially corrected the walling out.

He spent three years trying to build up the muscles and hoping get his alignment worked out but it didn't help. So he had this third surgery on just one eye.

We're just hoping he doesn't start crossing again. He says that he only sees double every now and then and that he can 'fix it so it looks right.' So that's a good sign.

so far his eyes look really great. In fact, it's the best alignment that he's had so far.

He has his first post-op appointment on Monday so we'll just have to wait and see.

After his first surgery, he overcorrected and walled way out. The second surgery only partially corrected the walling out.

He spent three years trying to build up the muscles and hoping get his alignment worked out but it didn't help. So he had this third surgery on just one eye.

We're just hoping he doesn't start crossing again. He says that he only sees double every now and then and that he can 'fix it so it looks right.' So that's a good sign.

So he's feeling pretty good after the surgery, and all looks like it's well? Here's to a success for the little guy!

Dy

Guest sherriwirt

My four year old, who is in the evaluation stages of Asperger, had his first eye muscle surgery yesterday (both eyes). We cannot get him to open his eyes! He says they don't hurt and they're not itching any more, but it's now been 36 hours and he has eaten, played, bathed, used the bathroom, "watched" cartoons - all with his eyes closed tight. He blinked once at my insistence. Have you had this experience? Is it a sensory response?

My four year old, who is in the evaluation stages of Asperger, had his first eye muscle surgery yesterday (both eyes). We cannot get him to open his eyes! He says they don't hurt and they're not itching any more, but it's now been 36 hours and he has eaten, played, bathed, used the bathroom, "watched" cartoons - all with his eyes closed tight. He blinked once at my insistence. Have you had this experience? Is it a sensory response?

My son wouldn't open his eyes the first day. He said that he couldn't. (Which made the eye drops a big pain in the behind.) However, he was fine the next day and hasn't mentioned it again.

I would say that it is sensory related. There is nothing in the surgery that affects the eyelids.

He may be very sensitve to light. My son wore a towel over his head right after his second surgery.

I would say, dim the lights, give him a soft towel and then wait for him to feel comfortable enough to keep his eyes open.

I would guess that he is opening them at least some. Kind of sneaking peeks.

BTW...son had his check up and he's not crossing. His eyes are finally straight. Even his doctor is amazed. He's on steroid drops as well as the antibiotic since is eye is still really red and swollen. But he is doing wonderful so far.