Menu

Duke TIP King Arthur + LLfLOTR Arthur Unit?

Matryoshka

Anyone ever combine these, or is anyone else planning to? They have different focuses and seem like they could make a good combo...? Well, I've got them both now, gosh darn it, so I've got to combine them somehow! :tongue_smilie:

Any words of wisdom?

PS. If you did the Duke study, did you have your kid annotate as they read? They talk a lot about that in the intro, and I'm thinking maybe I should buy each kid a copy of the book rather than taking it out of the library or even having them share?

Anyone ever combine these, or is anyone else planning to? They have different focuses and seem like they could make a good combo...? Well, I've got them both now, gosh darn it, so I've got to combine them somehow! :tongue_smilie:

Any words of wisdom?

PS. If you did the Duke study, did you have your kid annotate as they read? They talk a lot about that in the intro, and I'm thinking maybe I should buy each kid a copy of the book rather than taking it out of the library or even having them share?

Where have you been?:D That's exactly what I am planning to do.

We are wrapping up our ancient history study and did the usual readings of Homer and Virgil. I used the LLofLOTR Unit 5 on Exploring Epics. Swimmer Dude made an epic booklet which covers oral traditions, bards, summaries of the three major epics and then a listing of the epic conventions with their definitions.

We will pull the booklet out when we start our medieval studies this fall and return to examining epics, quests and heroes. We'll be studying Celts first and reading Rosemary Sutcliff's The Hound of Ulster, which is a thrilling retelling of the Cuchulain Saga.Dude will read on his own Black Horses for the King which places Arthur as a 5th century Celtic chieftain.

Sutcliff's Author's Note makes a nice transition from the Celtic saga to the Anglo-Saxon epic of Beowulf. At this point, we'll start LLofLOTR's Units 6A & B, and 7A & B on Old English, Beowulf and Monsters and Heroes. There is some work from LL British Medieval that we'll include.

Next, we'll take a week off from the history progression and spend a week starting up the Duke study on Arthur. The following week, we'll pick up our regular history study with one Arthur lesson a week and we'll introduce the Units 10 and 11 on Arthurian Romances. Remember, Dude will have already seen a very different version of Arthur so there should be some good comparison and contrast. Anyway, that 's the preliminary plan. Then I have some half-crazy lit ideas for the rest of it, but that's another thread.

Did you see the discussion about the King Arthur unit a couple of weeks ago? I know Swimmermom posted her thoughts. Someone else posted a nice post about it which put it back on my "might buy" list.

Yes, I read all of it - I bought the KA unit before that thread even started (impulse buy!)- so I was relieved to see it somewhat redeemed by the end. :) Now I want to figure out how to use them together, though (don't make me choose between them! :tongue_smilie:). I know there was some implementation information, so I should probably go back and re-read, though.

Swimmermom should weigh in here - it's her fault I bought both of these! :D;)

Next, we'll take a week off from the history progression and spend a week starting up the Duke study on Arthur. The following week, we'll pick up our regular history study with one Arthur lesson a week and we'll introduce the Units 10 and 11 on Arthurian Romances. Remember, Dude will have already seen a very different version of Arthur so there should be some good comparison and contrast. Anyway, that 's the preliminary plan. Then I have some half-crazy lit ideas for the rest of it, but that's another thread.

Oh, goody, there you are - you posted while I was asking where you were. :D

What was the other version of KA Swimmerdude read, out of curiosity? Are you planning on spending the whole 20 weeks on that KA study? Doing the LLfLOTR units simulataneously, or in their own weeks?

Speaking of the LLfLOTR units, I just got that today, and I've had both of these open on the counter trying to parse them. The units seem to pretty much be text to read? The teacher guide I have (2nd ed) doesn't have any instructions on how to break it up or have any outside reading to do along with it, just answers to the questions at the end of unit 10. Do you and your ds just read the text in the units together and discuss anything that may come up? Do you read a unit in one sitting, or a few, or?? :bigear:

Did you see the discussion about the King Arthur unit a couple of weeks ago? I know Swimmermom posted her thoughts. Someone else posted a nice post about it which put it back on my "might buy" list.

Capt_Uhura

Capt_Uhura, LLofLOTR is worth every penny. If you had LL 7 & 8 and LLofLOTR for 6-8th grade literary analysis, your child would be able to build a strong foundation and you can tweak and adjust to your heart's content, imo. Throw some Deconstructing Penguins in there for insight and inspiration and you are good to go.

Should I start our chant now? Do it! Do it! :D

This is only fair because you all know I am going to cave on LTOW sooner or later.:tongue_smilie:

Capt_Uhura, LLofLOTR is worth every penny. If you had LL 7 & 8 and LLofLOTR for 6-8th grade literary analysis, your child would be able to build a strong foundation and you can tweak and adjust to your heart's content, imo. Throw some Deconstructing Penguins in there for insight and inspiration and you are good to go.

Heh... I'm in the middle of reading Deconstructing Penguins now... MariannNOVA sent me over the edge on that one. I'm really enjoying it!

This is only fair because you all know I am going to cave on LTOW sooner or later.:tongue_smilie:

And I'm probably going to be right on your heels... :001_rolleyes:

Swimmermom - I'm drafting in your wake! I'm that blip on your sensors you keep seeing (if you're a Trekkie you'll know what I mean...if not, don't worry about it).

Yep, I have my friends LLfLOTR 1st edition on my desk waiting for me to read the part on the epics. I have through June to get the 2nd edition on sale. I also picked up LL7 for a great price from a poster here at WTM. And yep, I own Teaching the Classics and we've enjoyed doing that with picture books. And yep, I own Decon Penguins which we've used for discussion of antagonist and protagonist.

And just to make you green with envy, my friend let me borrow her brand new never opened LOTW for the weekend. I know it'll not be enough time but I hope to get a flavor for the first part to see if it would fit between MCT Paragraph Town and Essay Voyage.

Matroyskha - can you tell me about LLfLOTR 2nd edition? I know it's much smaller than the 1st edition and doesn't reproduce the student pages. Does it simply having a listing of the answers to the student pages rather than copies of the student pages.

Capt_Uhura

Agh! It's movie and popcorn time. So quickly, I have a Plan A and B for Arthur because for me the biggest question mark is whether the Dude will like Once and Future King. That is not the version I see recommended even though it's a classic. I promise I will get back to this. Crazy Heart is starting. Have a good one.

Agh! It's movie and popcorn time. So quickly, I have a Plan A and B for Arthur because for me the biggest question mark is whether the Dude will like Once and Future King. That is not the version I see recommended even though it's a classic. I promise I will get back to this. Crazy Heart is starting. Have a good one.

I still don't know what I want to do. I had read somewhere, years ago, about someone's argument to read OaFK in high school to get a fuller appreciation of political and other things I can't quite remember. I remember agreeing completely, so I penciled it in for the medieval booklist in high school. Which is fine because there was the great thread about Arthur and some book recommendations for now. So, I don't know. I'm fairly convinced I'm saving LLflotR for high school. I've got a Hold World Lit text that is introducing analysis and we're enjoying it and finding it suiting our needs for now. The thought of using the Duke's Arthur to form our medieval studies next year sounds good from a historical perspective.

I still have a few months to decide.

Should I start our chant now? Do it! Do it! :D

I know I am getting way ahead of myself because the kiddos are so young, but the Prydain Chronicles thread got me all excited about LLofLOTR, but I am going to show my ignorance here - what are LL7&8 and LTOW? Luckily, I know what Decon Penguins is so I am not totally humiliated :lol:

I know I am getting way ahead of myself because the kiddos are so young, but the Prydain Chronicles thread got me all excited about LLofLOTR, but I am going to show my ignorance here - what are LL7&8 and LTOW? Luckily, I know what Decon Penguins is so I am not totally humiliated :lol:

Lightning Literature

Lost Tools of Writing

I've been able to resist the first one, but the last one is piquing my interest.

2.gif not listening!!!!!!!

Jackie

Ladies, ladies. WHAT are you waiting for??? LTOW will fit right in with the other programs that you love. Come on. It's lonely for me. And it's good. REAL good!!

:auto::auto::auto::auto::auto::auto::auto:

We were almost done with Paragraph Town by the time we got to LTOW. I bought it for later, but couldn't resist!

So, basically, we're doing LTOW alongside MCT's poetry and vocabulary. DS and I are also going through the TTC dvds together. The three mesh perfectly, as they all involve reading and discussing and understanding the beauty of language. There is a certain respect for language that shines in each of these programs. And it seems as though what we learn in one program will be hit upon in another. DS and I have had so many a-ha moments, whether it be a certain vocab word or the use of assonance or the meaning an author tries to portray. LTOW often refers to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so what is our current read aloud? You got it. More connections.

I am so sad the year is about to come to a close, as we're riding high and making great strides. And to think this kid of mine read at a 3.5 grade level in September! Over the summer, we'll work and hour a day, but it just won't be the same. :tongue_smilie:

Ladies, ladies. WHAT are you waiting for??? LTOW will fit right in with the other programs that you love. Come on. It's lonely for me. And it's good. REAL good!!

You! You! You are just like the friend on ThatCyndiGirl's blog (which you all must read) that she likens to a pusher only she is peddling curriculum. It's hysterical and a bit frightening since it really reminds me of this crowd.:D

So are you saying that I need Lost Tools and Teaching the Classics? <<whimper>> But you don't understand...I really need the solutions manual for Foerster's Algebra 1, not TTC.:tongue_smilie:

I still don't know what I want to do. I had read somewhere, years ago, about someone's argument to read OaFK in high school to get a fuller appreciation of political and other things I can't quite remember. I remember agreeing completely, so I penciled it in for the medieval booklist in high school. Which is fine because there was the great thread about Arthur and some book recommendations for now. So, I don't know. I'm fairly convinced I'm saving LLflotR for high school. I've got a Hold World Lit text that is introducing analysis and we're enjoying it and finding it suiting our needs for now. The thought of using the Duke's Arthur to form our medieval studies next year sounds good from a historical perspective.

I still have a few months to decide.

Shawna, the voice of reason and this crowd could certainly use one. About OaFK, there is no way the Dude could manage it for lit analysis right now and I would agree on that for high school. I am considering using an audio version for the Duke study and letting Dude follow along in his book.

With the Duke study, we won't cover all of the questions, but I do plan on working on annotation skills and the Scholar TCQC Short Answer format.

LLof LOTR and Arthur: The first section covers the history of the Arthurian Romance and this is where they talk about the possibility of the real Arthur having lived in the 5th or 6th century and having been a Celtic chieftain. If you are interested in this possibility, this would be a good time to have your child read Anne McCaffrey's Black Horses for the King.This is a great book to do a novel log with for your literary analysis. I like reading something like this or my favorite, but more adult version, Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset. Perfect time to discuss oral traditions and how they evolve and the place and importance of the bard. By moving from an Arthur book like this to either the text in LLof LOTR, OaFK or whatever version you choose, kids get to see how a believable, real person can become larger than life.

Now because I think this is a fascinating topic, we'll probably do the Duke project on pages 61-62 at this point on "Find the Real King Arthur." I haven't decided how and if we will cover Idylls of the King but if we do, we'll probably stick to themes and motifs. I don't know.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (religious and symbolic elements, tone)is discussed in Unit 11. This is on TWTM reading list along with Geraldine McCaughrean's retelling of Saint George and the Dragon from the Faerie Queene which is also discussed in Unit 11. I'll leave the section that ties Tolkien's work with Arthur until we reach that point at the end of the year or next year.+

I don't know if Swimmer Dude will be home for high school so I will be using LLofLOTR now. If he's home, I've been drooling over the Great Books program at Angelicum Academy.

Feedback please. It's 12:15 am here and I've thrown this out here grammar and spelling mistakes galore. Our reading list is massive this year and I am working on trimming it down to the very best. Then I have this new idea about using the Pydrain Chronicles...:tongue_smilie:

You! You! You are just like the friend on ThatCyndiGirl's blog (which you all must read) that she likens to a pusher only she is peddling curriculum. It's hysterical and a bit frightening since it really reminds me of this crowd.:D

So are you saying that I need Lost Tools and Teaching the Classics? <<whimper>> But you don't understand...I really need the solutions manual for Foerster's Algebra 1, not TTC.:tongue_smilie:

Shawna, the voice of reason and this crowd could certainly use one. About OaFK, there is no way the Dude could manage it for lit analysis right now and I would agree on that for high school. I am considering using an audio version for the Duke study and letting Dude follow along in his book.

With the Duke study, we won't cover all of the questions, but I do plan on working on annotation skills and the Scholar TCQC Short Answer format.

LLof LOTR and Arthur: The first section covers the history of the Arthurian Romance and this is where they talk about the possibility of the real Arthur having lived in the 5th or 6th century and having been a Celtic chieftain. If you are interested in this possibility, this would be a good time to have your child read Anne McCaffrey's Black Horses for the King.This is a great book to do a novel log with for your literary analysis. I like reading something like this or my favorite, but more adult version, Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset. Perfect time to discuss oral traditions and how they evolve and the place and importance of the bard. By moving from an Arthur book like this to either the text in LLof LOTR, OaFK or whatever version you choose, kids get to see how a believable, real person can become larger than life.

Now because I think this is a fascinating topic, we'll probably do the Duke project on pages 61-62 at this point on "Find the Real King Arthur." I haven't decided how and if we will cover Idylls of the King but if we do, we'll probably stick to themes and motifs. I don't know.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (religious and symbolic elements, tone)is discussed in Unit 11. This is on TWTM reading list along with Geraldine McCaughrean's retelling of Saint George and the Dragon from the Faerie Queene which is also discussed in Unit 11. I'll leave the section that ties Tolkien's work with Arthur until we reach that point at the end of the year or next year.+

I don't know if Swimmer Dude will be home for high school so I will be using LLofLOTR now. If he's home, I've been drooling over the Great Books program at Angelicum Academy.

Feedback please. It's 12:15 am here and I've thrown this out here grammar and spelling mistakes galore. Our reading list is massive this year and I am working on trimming it down to the very best. Then I have this new idea about using the Pydrain Chronicles...:tongue_smilie:

Bleh...I should read this tomorrow, well I'll reread it at any rate. Funny you should mention Angelicum. I've been looking at Great Books Academy history guides and have those penciled in for high school. I would love to see them, but can't find samples anywhere.

The Arthur stuff...so many different retellings. I want her to really enjoy Arthur and I think introducing him via OaFK will turn her off. It did me. It was my first exposure to him in school. I basically want a great appetizer that will make her want to read OaFK. I guess I hadn't wanted to go overboard, but with Duke's Arthur we can drag it out and maybe I can get a lit analysis guide and see how it goes. I may change my mind when I reread tomorrow. :D

Good luck trimming your list. :lol:

:blush: I already have TTC, and I'm only about 1/2way through the DVDs... I like what I've seen so far, though. And I also need the solutions manual for Foerster, but at least that can wait till next year...

This is so cool. How can I get them to read fast enough? :tongue_smilie: I haven't read either of the books you mention above, either... is the Anne McCaffrey "clean"? I know some of her stuff is, but a lot of her other books have s*x scenes...

Assuming both are good for 12yos, which would you pick??? So many books...

Already have those on the list. In fact, the fact that all of these books were already on my list is what pushed me to buy the lit guides for them now rather than waiting. Although with all these books to read, we might not get there till 8th grade anyway! :glare:

I don't know if Swimmer Dude will be home for high school so I will be using LLofLOTR now.

This is part of my problem too... I've been flirting with the idea of sending the girls to high school (been kind of overwhelmed with all the correcting and checking this year, and the local high school is actually supposed to be quite good...). That is by no means a certainty, but if it's even possibility, I'm having a panic to get in all the "cool" stuff before 9th grade!

Then I have this new idea about using the Pydrain Chronicles...:tongue_smilie:

LALALALA! Stop it! I've managed to avoid that thread so far... :glare:;)

Bleh...I should read this tomorrow, well I'll reread it at any rate. Funny you should mention Angelicum. I've been looking at Great Books Academy history guides and have those penciled in for high school. I would love to see them, but can't find samples anywhere.

I don't know what Angelicum is, and I have a feeling I should not be listening! LALALALA! :tongue_smilie:

The Arthur stuff...so many different retellings. I want her to really enjoy Arthur and I think introducing him via OaFK will turn her off. It did me. It was my first exposure to him in school.

So you didn't like it so much when you read it? How old were you? I really liked the book when I read it; remember it quite fondly - it was sometime in high school, though. Don't remember what year. What would you choose for a first exposure, if not OaFK?

Can I barge in on this thread? I have been lurking on this and similar threads, lapping it all up as we will be doing the same things for my dd's Gr. 7 year (2011.)

I have a question, though. What are you all using for your history spine for this time period? I have everything picked out for the books and literature but I'm not too sure what to use as my spine. I would like to hear what you are thinking of using.

Thanks.

(emphasis mine)

Okay, showing my own ignorance here but what do you mean by a novel log? Feel free to direct me to the thread I missed:D.

Also, just thought I'd mention now that I thought I had my plans all worked out to let dd use LL7 and ds do LLfLOTR next year (thanks to you and Lori D.) you had to go and start a thread about this! Both ds and dd love this series and it could be the perfect bridge to keep them together once more year. So,

2.gif

Speaking of the LLfLOTR units, I just got that today, and I've had both of these open on the counter trying to parse them. The units seem to pretty much be text to read? The teacher guide I have (2nd ed) doesn't have any instructions on how to break it up or have any outside reading to do along with it, just answers to the questions at the end of unit 10. Do you and your ds just read the text in the units together and discuss anything that may come up? Do you read a unit in one sitting, or a few, or?? :bigear:

(emphasis mine)

I was wondering this same thing.:bigear:

Thanks!

By the way, to the pp who asked about Anne McCaffrey: I haven't read any other books by her, but Black Horses for the King is perfectly appropriate for middle school. Nothing I found inappropriate and I'm pretty conservative.:)

Can I barge in on this thread? I have been lurking on this and similar threads, lapping it all up as we will be doing the same things for my dd's Gr. 7 year (2011.)

I have a question, though. What are you all using for your history spine for this time period? I have everything picked out for the books and literature but I'm not too sure what to use as my spine. I would like to hear what you are thinking of using.

Thanks.

FWIW: Since I will also have ds8 and dd5 tagging along with us I'm going to be using SOTW as our "chronological" spine. Dd13 and ds11 can listen in or not on that (it's their first time through middle ages, they were originally in ps). They will be adding in k12's Human Odyssey and KFH as their main spines with some Famous Men of the Middle Ages (with accompanying guide) thrown in for quick biographies and WTM literature lists. (Along with LLfLOTR for ds11 and LLfLOTR (Unit Studies only) LL7 & some of 8 for dd13). It should be a really literature heavy year So I haven't worried about the "lightness" of their history spine.:D

I'm using K12 Human Odyssey as our spine. I read that aloud to all 3 kids. My older dds (almost 12) are also reading Oxford's World in Ancient Times (and by the time we get to Arthur, The Medieval and Modern World). And obviously far too much historical ficiton/lit. :tongue_smilie:

On the non-fiction/cross-curricular side, I'm also having them read, somewhat in parallel, Hakim's Story of Science, the shorter but excellent Science of the Past series, and Gombrich's Story of Art - but that may be more than you want to know. :D

The Arthur stuff...so many different retellings. I want her to really enjoy Arthur and I think introducing him via OaFK will turn her off. It did me. It was my first exposure to him in school. I basically want a great appetizer that will make her want to read OaFK. I guess I hadn't wanted to go overboard, but with Duke's Arthur we can drag it out and maybe I can get a lit analysis guide and see how it goes. I may change my mind when I reread tomorrow. :D

Good luck trimming your list. :lol:[/quote

This is exactly my concern. If I didn't have the Duke study, we'd be reading Black Horses and either Green, Pyle, or the version I think Abbey recommended. Now that I have had some time to go through the Duke projects, I really like what I see. You could still do them without reading OaFK but that does mess the questions up.

I figure if we keep these conversations going during the summer we should be able to come up with viable options. Talking this out with all of you helps narrow my focus, even if it occasionally costs me more money.;)

I have an idea - let's all meet at the local coffee house and all bring our curriculum! See you at 3pm! :001_smile:

I'll bring Teaching the Classics and the LTOW (it's my friend's). I also have my friend's 1st edition LLfLOTR.

Capt_Uhura

I'm off to Allentown, PA for a tournament today; Are you close? :lol:

I love coffee...

I have an idea - let's all meet at the local coffee house and all bring our curriculum! See you at 3pm! :001_smile:

I'll bring Teaching the Classics and the LTOW (it's my friend's). I also have my friend's 1st edition LLfLOTR.

Capt_Uhura

I'm coming! Just give me time to get to the airport! :lol:

swimmermom, I'd love to see examples of a novel log &/or your ds' booklet he made about epics. (Hint, hint. I'm sorry to keep pestering your about it! :D)

All I know is this conversation is not good for me. We're not doing LLLoTR until 8th grade (2011-2012) and LTOW not until 8th or 9th. Y'all a killing me here, I don't have the budget to get them now and call it self-education. :D

Paula, your plan is perfect and you, lucky woman, know your boy will be at home for high school. Besides, by then a few more will have done LTOW and can smooth your path.

:blush: I already have TTC, and I'm only about 1/2way through the DVDs... I like what I've seen so far, though. And I also need the solutions manual for Foerster, but at least that can wait till next year...

This is so cool. How can I get them to read fast enough? :tongue_smilie: I haven't read either of the books you mention above, either... is the Anne McCaffrey "clean"? I know some of her stuff is, but a lot of her other books have s*x scenes...

Assuming both are good for 12yos, which would you pick??? So many books...

Already have those on the list. In fact, the fact that all of these books were already on my list is what pushed me to buy the lit guides for them now rather than waiting. Although with all these books to read, we might not get there till 8th grade anyway! :glare:

This is part of my problem too... I've been flirting with the idea of sending the girls to high school (been kind of overwhelmed with all the correcting and checking this year, and the local high school is actually supposed to be quite good...). That is by no means a certainty, but if it's even possibility, I'm having a panic to get in all the "cool" stuff before 9th grade!

The McCaffrey book is "clean" and is used in Sonlight 6. I would go with that. It's 177 pages and you can assign it as a reader for 12 yos. The Sutcliff book would be reading for you if you want to see Arthur in a different way. If the Dude likes the 5th century version I would read Sword at Sunset the following summer and do some slight editing.

What lit guides do you have or are you looking at? I am going to add to the LLofLOTR portion of Beowulf and Sir Gawain with materials from LL British Medieval that NicoleM lent me. There is a section on Anglo-Saxon riddles that the Dude will love. Those riddles are mentioned in one or two other of our readers, so it's fun to see actual examples.

Our local middle school is excellent; the high school is average. I think a lot will depend on where the Dude is in swimming. When he turns 13, he'll have to decide just how serious he is and we'll have to see if his shoulder holds.

Capt_Uhura

That would be soooo awesome! Don't you guys all live, like, thousands of miles away from me, though...? :glare:

I really covet getting a look at that LToW, though... :drool5:

I don't know what Angelicum is, and I have a feeling I should not be listening! LALALALA! :tongue_smilie:

Angelicum Academy. And I won't tell you about connecting 120 years of National Geographic to your Medieval studies. However, if you peruse the website...;)

Thanks.

Julia, you aren't barging in at all. Welcome!:D Our spines are primarily Suzanne Strauss Art's books: Early Times: the Story of the Middle Ages, the Story of the Renaissance, and The Story of Islam. Strauss's books have comprehension questions and projects. I will also be filling in gaps with Famous Men of the Middle Ages, Constantinople: City on the Golden Horn and some more of SSA's books on ancient China and the Americas. If my son weren't quirky, I would use K12's Human Odyssey. You would need both Vol. 1 and 2 for the Middle Ages.

For anyone that is interested, for my own education this summer I am using my dd's outstanding AP European history text: The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures. There are also primary source volumes to go with this. The Dude needs to spend time analyzing primary source work this year and this is where it's coming from. As you can see, the price is cheap, cheap, cheap.

(emphasis mine)

Okay, showing my own ignorance here but what do you mean by a novel log? Feel free to direct me to the thread I missed:D.

Also, just thought I'd mention now that I thought I had my plans all worked out to let dd use LL7 and ds do LLfLOTR next year (thanks to you and Lori D.) you had to go and start a thread about this! Both ds and dd love this series and it could be the perfect bridge to keep them together once more year. So,

2.gif

(emphasis mine)

I was wondering this same thing.:bigear:/QUOTE]

Novel logs are basically keeping track of characters, settings, plot, theme, and conflict while the student is reading the book. My older son did this with Sonlight 6 in 7th grade for this book. The student then uses the log to write his literary analysis. This book is ideal for a beginning lit analysis paper. The form I have for this book is somewhat sophisticated but I also use this one frequently. (I will link the form, but I need to switch computers to do so.) If you want more ideas for the kinds of questions, please feel free to pm me. If you have either LL 7 or 8 or both be sure to review plot diagrams in Lessons 1 and 2 in LL 7 and the lesson on character sketch. Also, the lesson on character development in The Christmas Carol in LL8 is very good and would work well here.

Come on ladies, put all that expensive curriculum to more than one use.:D

With regards to scheduling LLof LOTR, for me, there seem to be natural breaking points but I can post our tentative schedule when we get closer to the fall...and I have read everything.

My primary spine will be the Teaching Co's Medieval World course. It has 36 lectures focusing on everyday life in the Middle Ages (culture, religion, family & childhood, medicine, the feudal system, etc) and they line up with the Duke course incredibly well — there's even an entire lecture on the historical basis for Arthur. It's taught by a lit professor rather than a historian, so there's a strong emphasis on literature, with references to Chaucer, Sir Gawain, and other medieval lit. So The Medieval World lectures (history tied to literature) + the Duke/Arthur study (literature tied to history) will serve as joint spines. The other main resources will be 3 other Teaching Co courses (Early, High, and Late Middle Ages) and the OUP Medieval and Early Modern World series.

I'm planning to spend a month on Vikings first (September), using the Teaching Co course on Vikings plus reading Norse mythology, some of the sagas, and Heaney's translation of Beowulf (Anglo-Saxon but thematically fits with Norse). Then we'll do 4-5 months on Medieval Europe using the various TTC courses + Duke/Arthur + the Europe volume of the OUP series. Then we'll do the other volumes in the OUP series (Asia, Mesoamerica, Empires, Voyages, etc), plus Shakespeare for the rest of the year.

Jackie

ETA: The Teaching Co courses and the OUP Medieval series both go on sale at least once/year. I paid about $100 each for them when they were on sale. You can also find them used on ebay, Amazon, etc.

For anyone that is interested, for my own education this summer I am using my dd's outstanding AP European history text: The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures. There are also primary source volumes to go with this. The Dude needs to spend time analyzing primary source work this year and this is where it's coming from. As you can see, the price is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Oh — I just realized I have this book! I bought it because the CC uses it for their Western Civ I class and I was wondering if I should have DS do Western Civ at the CC in 10th or do it at home. Now that I know you think it's really good, I'll have to read it! I'll check out the primary sources volume as well. Thanks!

Jackie

This is the Basic Literary Elements Chart we've used a lot. Mcconnellboys steered me to this site, so thank you, Regena! The novel log that SL uses takes this basic information and builds on it. The student assesses the cover of the book and the information contained on it. Then they identify the setting, the protagonist, the type of personality that character has and what event are happening. One interesting question is "Is there anything that is preventing you from enjoying the story?" You get the idea.

My son enjoys using Inspiration software to create diagrams like this .

Hopefully I have attached part of our epic notebook so you can see what it looks like. Swimmer Dude is not keen to share his finished project. I suspect I shall have to honor his wish. You see, his goal is to be the next Bill Gates, "...only with better products," and I have been promised a mansion. After our last battle over "unnecessary" worksheets, I have been relegated to a dark room in a basement.:tongue_smilie: Such is the life of a homeschool teacher.

ETA: The attachment didn't work. Please pm me and I can e-mail you the file. It's nothing spectacular but it will make a handy reference when we start next year. The epic conventions are on another file but you will get the idea from this. It is taken straight from LLofLOTR.

Edited by swimmermom3

I'm planning to spend a month on Vikings first (September), using the Teaching Co course on Vikings plus reading Norse mythology, some of the sagas, and Heaney's translation of Beowulf (Anglo-Saxon but thematically fits with Norse). Then we'll do 4-5 months on Medieval Europe using the various TTC courses + Duke/Arthur + the Europe volume of the OUP series. Then we'll do the other volumes in the OUP series (Asia, Mesoamerica, Empires, Voyages, etc), plus Shakespeare for the rest of the year.

Jackie, what are you using for Viking literature? I have D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths, Hakon of Rogen's Saga by Erik Christian Haugaard, Kimmel's Before Columbus: The Leif Erikksson Expedition (Landmark), and Blood Feud by Rosemary Sutcliff.

I'll have to check our library for the TC videos. Dude is the youngest so it's harder for me to justify the cost.

Jackie, what are you using for Viking literature? I have D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths, Hakon of Rogen's Saga by Erik Christian Haugaard, Kimmel's Before Columbus: The Leif Erikksson Expedition (Landmark), and Blood Feud by Rosemary Sutcliff.

I'll have to check our library for the TC videos. Dude is the youngest so it's harder for me to justify the cost.

I have The Saga of the Volsungs, The Norse Myths (Kevin Crossley-Holland), this edition of Beowulf, and Sea of Trolls for fun (bedtime reading, no analysis).

The Medieval World lectures are really good and tie in so perfectly with the Duke course, it's really worth it IMO. If you can't get it from your library, and it goes on sale this summer, you can always resell it when you're done. They hold their value really well.

Jackie

Thank you, everyone, for answering my question. I will look into your suggestions.

Lisa, I had looked at Art's books but wasn't sure if they would work for us. I might give them a try. I was already thinking of using Famous Men of the Middle Ages so I could use them together.

Jackie, I remember reading in the previous Arthur thread that you were using the TC DVDs. I like the idea of using them as a spine. I will look for them on sale during the year.

I appreciate this board so much. This morning I didn't have a MA spine and now I have a handful of ideas. Yay! :D

So you didn't like it so much when you read it? How old were you? I really liked the book when I read it; remember it quite fondly - it was sometime in high school, though. Don't remember what year. What would you choose for a first exposure, if not OaFK?

I cannot remember! It wasn't 9th grade. It was after 9th that I started slacking off and it's really quite a blur. So, I would've been 16-17. I wonder if it was excerpted in one of out texts and that's why I'm not quite making the connection. We're on a 3-week break, so I'm going to read it and that may solve all my problems :D. I think I wanted something shorter and simpler to give her a taste and want to explore it further. Don't know which, yet. I'm getting good ideas from this thread.