Menu

Integrated physics and chemistry

I haven't seen what Timberdoodle has, but I'm seeing that high schools (at least in our state) are going with a combined physics/chemistry/and maybe earth science class in 9th grade. This class does NOT include the math that would be in the physics or chemistry classes they'd take as a junior or senior. It's more of an overview of the basics of the topics.

My only curriculum decision left for next year is science. I saw Timberdoodle and Lamp Post Publishing both recommend this. Has anyone actually used this? My dd most likely will go to community college, possibly for radiology or dental hygenist.

Thanks,

Veronica

Veronica,

Here are some sample chapters. http://www.pacworks.com/downloads.htm

Thanks for the samples. It reads well and it obviously isn't math based, but maybe she would retain more based on the stories in the text. How math based does chemistry need to be for someone not interested in a science based field? Though the major she is interested in doesn't require it, she could take chemistry in cc her senior year if she wants.

Thanks,

Veronica

My ps son took an integrated physics/chem class in 9th grade. It was called physical science and took the place of the earth science that used to be taught to students in the lower track who were taking earthsci/bio/chem/physics instead of the high track's bio/chem/physics/advanced bio. There were children who were taking algebra concurrently with it.

Veronica,

I'm using this curriculum with my 9th grade dd. She will cover the first half of the program this year. I am calling her class physical science. I would not call it a chemistry nor physics class because it isn't as rigorous as these classes. However, it will give her a great foundation for chemistry and physics, and I'm also hoping it will help her next year with biology. I'm only doing the first half because we don't have time to cover the whole curriculum. It is a "workbook" type program . Yet, we are enjoying the biographical stories.

Blessings,