Menu

So, my good friend says to me about history....

Ya' know...I'm just going to use Susan W. Bauer's great history book for adults and do the Great Books suggestions ala Well Trained Mine for history. (This is on the cusp of me freaking out about whether or not I should pursue a curriculum that is A.P. for 9th grade. The more I think about it, the more I like it. What do you think?

It absolutely can be that simple.

Make a reading list for the year, mixing genres and difficulty of reading, and plan on about 2 works in a month -- sometimes 1 if you are really going in depth. Have your child read the history chapter or chapters around the period of the work and write a short context page (reread the WTM to see what this is), then start reading the work. I generally expect a persuasive essay on either the work or the period of history, and a longer research paper each semester.

You don't have to go page by page through the history text -- you can choose a period or location on which to concentrate and go in depth. Or you can focus on an interest such as theater or science.

Some of the lecture series from The Teaching Company can really add to this approach. We've enjoyed The Western Literary Canon in Context, and Dr. Vandiver's series of lectures on The Iliad, and Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition.

Edited by JennW in SoCal

It really is do-able and inexpensive.

Lots of great books can be found at used book sales or on your library shelves (sometimes I needed two copies -- one for me and one for ds).

Many libraries also carry those Teaching Company videos, so check there before buying.

I've really enjoyed doing literature and history this way, and if I feel stuck with what to do, I can always find some ideas on the internet.

Here is another idea to consider. The Angelicum Academy will sell materials to consumers who do not have children enrolled in their program. If you are teaching, for example, Greece for the 9th grade, you could purchase the study guides listed here:

http://www.academybookstore.org/AngelicumStore/Categories.bok?category=NINTH+GRADE

I have not looked at mine in several years, but remember it as very thorough (AP-quality) and gave my son a workout. Here is the website's description of the first-semester study guide:

http://www.academybookstore.org/AngelicumStore/Detail.bok?no=1809

If you could examine Dr. Bauer's adult-level history books before buying them, you might wish to see if you care for them. (I sent mine back to the store.)

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but I was just looking at this. I'm really tempted to buy TOG since I will have 4 straight back to back years of high school. How did following TWTM's great books work with having more children below high school ? Is it doable to follow the great books and still get history done for the youngers? I just can't decide if I would really use TOG (ie would it be worth the money to shell out?)

I reckon I just need some encouragement that I can do a great high school history program TWTM way even though I know so little about great books. I feel like I need the teacher's notes to know what to discuss or make a point of the book.

BTW I follow TWTM pretty to a T for all the other years. But getting "enough" for high school is wigging me out!

Here is another idea to consider. The Angelicum Academy will sell materials to consumers who do not have children enrolled in their program. If you are teaching, for example, Greece for the 9th grade, you could purchase the study guides listed here:

http://www.academybookstore.org/AngelicumStore/Categories.bok?category=NINTH+GRADE

I have not looked at mine in several years, but remember it as very thorough (AP-quality) and gave my son a workout. Here is the website's description of the first-semester study guide:

http://www.academybookstore.org/AngelicumStore/Detail.bok?no=1809

If you could examine Dr. Bauer's adult-level history books before buying them, you might wish to see if you care for them. (I sent mine back to the store.)

These are amazing what a great website . Thank you for posting this excellent resource.