Menu

Confused about math sequence

It can go either way. Or you could choose a curriculum such as Singapore NEM that doesn't break up the subject areas but advances each every year. You want to keep in mind that Chemistry requires Algebra and Physics requires some Trigonometry so it would be better if these areas are covered in advance of the sciences.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

It can be either. I think most programs have a preferred sequence, which would influence what is reviewed in their books (a publisher who does Geometry before Algebra 2 would have Algebra 1 reviewed in their Geometry book so it's not forgotten before Algebra 2). I think many do Geometry before Algebra 2 so the child will be more mature before tackling Algebra 2.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Good point. Let me throw my science sequence in and see if that changes things:

9th: Biology

10th: Chemistry

11th: elective

12th: Physics

I'm deliberately postponing physics until 12th because of math.

It won't change things because Algebra 1 and Advanced math are in the same spot in both scenarios. Depending on your physics course you may need to cover some Trig before beginning.

Either order will work... just note that Geometry programs have only Algebra 1 as a prerequisite--and will/should review Algebra 1 throughout the text.

If a student takes Algebra 1, Algebra 2 then Geometry they will have more than one year to forget their Algebra 2--this can make Advanced Math difficult (do not expect much of a 'review' in Advanced Math texts--they just jump on in!)--personal experience talking.

As of now, I'm using Saxon for math. I'm considering using TT for geometry, but I would go back to Saxon for the rest. Never thought I'd use Saxon, but dd loves the approach, it fits her learning style.

Science, I've used Apologia thus far (through Physical). But, I am using BJU for Biology. I've not made a decision for chemistry and physics. I know I can teach chemistry - I took 3 years of it in college. So, it will either be BJU or Apologia. I'm just not overly comfortable with physics (avoided it as much as possible!). I'll either want a dvd based physics or something student taught (like Apologia).

Another thing to consider in deciding your math sequence is your PSAT plans (whether/when you'll be taking that.) The PSAT has quite a bit of geometry on it, so you'll want to have done geometry before taking it. In fact, I've heard that's the reason behind splitting up algebra into 1 and 2 and doing geometry inbetween. In our case, ds did Alg 1 & 2 (Videotext) early, in 7th and 8th, followed by geometry in 9th, so that sequence wasn't an issue.

Just one more thing to complicate matters! :D