Menu

double spaced

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but how can you tell if something is double spaced? We just updated to Microsoft 2007 and for normal it has it skipping every other line like this:

The man is going to town.

The man is happy.

Is that double spaced? Is that really how people want it? In college and when I taught, I had them give me papers that look like I am typing now. So they really want it like it is above? If so, then my boys' papers have been twice as long as I've been counting them!!

Christine

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but how can you tell if something is double spaced? We just updated to Microsoft 2007 and for normal it has it skipping every other line like this:

The man is happy.

Is that double spaced? Is that really how people want it? In college and when I taught, I had them give me papers that look like I am typing now. So they really want it like it is above? If so, then my boys' papers have been twice as long as I've been counting them!!

Christine

Yes, that is double spaced. Sometimes papers have to be double-spaced, but I don't know if that's the norm or not.

If you want single-spaced text, you'll have to change the default on your "normal." Do you know how to do that? You can always change a specific document to double-space if you need to.

The man is happy.

Christine

A lot of teachers want it this way because it is much easier to write in corrections and suggestions in the double spaced area. When assigning a paper, if you want 3 pages, they should give you 6 pages double-spaced.

Christine, when you open Word, on the Home tab, look for the Paragraph group on that Ribbon. In that group, you should see an icon with 2 little arrows, 1 up 1 down, with some lines beside them. That's the spacing icon. Click on it and you'll see a check mark beside the current spacing.

My advice: get some kind of refererence manual. Office 2007 is very different from previous versions and has a bit of a learning curve. But it's also so much better.

The man is happy.

Christine

This may be double, it may not. The only way to check for sure is to click on the little thing under paragraph section of the 'home ribbon' that has an up and down arrow.

Word 2007 has a default of 1.5 (I think) spaces between lines and the font default is Calibri 11. On the right side of the 'home' ribbon, there are a bunch of different styles you can choose from. If you right click on any of them, you can modify them to be a new style and you can make it double spaced and times new roman 12 (or whatever font you prefer). If you just want to change the spacing in the current document, look under the paragraph section of the home page and click on the spot that has an up arrow and a down arrow. You can make it single/1.5/double/etc.

Hope that made sense!