Menu

My finger is red, hot, swollen...

Over the past 2-3 days, I've notice my right pinky finger has become increasingly red, swollen, tender, and warm at the side, near the nail. I've tried soaking it in warm water, soaking it in cold water, and putting on triple antibiotic ointment (there doesn't seem to be any "opening" for the ointment, though). Nothing has made any difference.

My husband thinks I should go to see my physician today, he's concerned that the infection will get into my bloodstream.

Should I go to a doctor, or is there something else I could try at home?

Boric acid?

:bigear:

You might want to break down and go to the doctor. In the mean time, soaking it in warm water with epsom salts might help draw the infection to the surface. It's probably under your nail or something like that.

You might want to break down and go to the doctor. In the mean time, soaking it in warm water with epsom salts might help draw the infection to the surface. It's probably under your nail or something like that.

Hey, I had not thought of E.S. We have those, I'll try that now. Back in a bit.....

This looks like fun.

Edited by Sahamamama

I agree with your husband - sounds like cellutis (ok, spell check isn't helping here - cell-u-it-tis.) Or - coul dbe an ingrown nail - I had this with a toe, and the doctor had to numb the area and cut away half the nail.

Either way, see a doctor.

My oldest dd just had this last week - its called a paronychia - which is basically an infection of the finger under the skin.

We ended up going to the doctor and she was told to soak it in warm water 4 times a day and was given antibiotics. Things to watch out for were - red streaking going up the finger/hand and fever - both indicate a more severe, spreading infection. Her's was also warm to the touch, very tender/sore, swollen and a slight purplish color.

Over the past 2-3 days, I've notice my right pinky finger has become increasingly red, swollen, tender, and warm at the side, near the nail. I've tried soaking it in warm water, soaking it in cold water, and putting on triple antibiotic ointment (there doesn't seem to be any "opening" for the ointment, though). Nothing has made any difference.

My husband thinks I should go to see my physician today, he's concerned that the infection will get into my bloodstream.

Should I go to a doctor, or is there something else I could try at home?

Boric acid?

:bigear:

I would get to my doctor fast. I would also stop using the triple antibiotic ointment until I saw my doctor.

Another thought, are there any bit marks in the area? Have you try taking a benadryl?

My oldest dd just had this last week - its called a paronychia - which is basically an infection of the finger under the skin.

We ended up going to the doctor and she was told to soak it in warm water 4 times a day and was given antibiotics. Things to watch out for were - red streaking going up the finger/hand and fever - both indicate a more severe, spreading infection. Her's was also warm to the touch, very tender/sore, swollen and a slight purplish color.

Sounds just like mine. Sigh. I suppose I need to get some antibiotics. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks, Judo Mom. BTW, your five boys are adorable on your blog. Your line-ups for next year look GREAT! Mind if I copy this for the not-too-distant future? :D

Thanks :001_smile:. Before you copy the lineup, you might want to make sure I'm still standing at the end of the year :lol:.

Sounds just like mine. Sigh. I suppose I need to get some antibiotics. Thanks for the advice.

I would also insist on it being tested. My dh was given an antibiotic. It went away at first. Then it came back in a different place. They put him on the same antibiotic, but I had insisted that they test it. The doctor called him in a panic and told him to stop taking it immediately. His infection was resistant to the anibiotic.

I would also insist on it being tested. My dh was given an antibiotic. It went away at first. Then it came back in a different place. They put him on the same antibiotic, but I had insisted that they test it. The doctor called him in a panic and told him to stop taking it immediately. His infection was resistant to the anibiotic.

:001_huh: So THEN what did you do? :bigear:

He had to move up to the next level of antibiotic. He had to take the one they use for anthrax. Since it was on his skin he had to shower with surgical soap once a week for a half a year. We found tea tree oil to work too.

Oh. :001_huh: Well, I'm getting nervous now.

I've had spider bites present like that. That location is classic for me - I slide my hand under my pillows when I sleep & several times a year it seems I disturb a house spider who's been sharing my bed.

For me the key is that an uncomplicated bite does not get worse day by day. It's just sore and red & then after about 3 days starts getting smaller..... (obviously it's not a poisonous spider & I'm not allergic)

I've had spider bites present like that. That location is classic for me - I slide my hand under my pillows when I sleep & several times a year it seems I disturb a house spider who's been sharing my bed.

For me the key is that an uncomplicated bite does not get worse day by day. It's just sore and red & then after about 3 days starts getting smaller..... (obviously it's not a poisonous spider & I'm not allergic)

How do you know it's a bite? I don't see ANY opening, cut, or bite mark on my finger. Just a reddish-purple area.

How do you know it's a bite? I don't see ANY opening, cut, or bite mark on my finger. Just a reddish-purple area.

I've never actually had it dx'ed - just shared it with gardening friends & the old guys all said, oh yeah, looks like a spider bite. I live in a region with no major dangerous spiders btw (though the small brown recluse has been found in our area & did bite someone a couple years ago while gardening. We've got black widows in BC but I think they're further in the interior)

In mine there is no opening, cut or bite mark either. It looks like a small sore pimple with no 'head'.

But you know, there is some nasty MRSA and other junk floating around now & if you're worried, I'd get it looked at, esp if it's getting worse or if there's streaking around it.

You may have been to the doc already, but if you haven't, or for future use, this is something that works all the time in our house......most recently on my hubby's finger that sounds as bad as yours. He would usually rather go to the dr than try home-cures, but I talked him into trying it for 24hrs. It was a lot better within 24 hrs, and totally better in 48hrs.

So, you dissolve a tablespoon of salt in a cup of hot water (as hot as you can bear to touch). Dip your finger in it, and even if you can only have it in for a second at a time. Do this repeatedly for a couple of minutes. As it cools slightly, you may be able to keep it in for longer.

Repeat this every hour during the day. You can use the same water, and just microwave it to heat it up again.

Next day you can do it hourly, or every two hours. After that it should not be necessary.

Warm water just doesn't give the same result, so make sure it's as hot as you can safely bear it.

HTH