Menu

The Little House On the Prairie Series

I know, these books are meant for 10-12 year-old's, but I really enjoy these books. I was obsessed with the show when I was younger, and I just loved how they live, and would still love to live that way :)

Anyways, are there any young adult, or adult books that are similar to that series? I enjoy Western books, but not cowboy western, more along the lines of Prairie life and such.

Also, would books about the Amish be considered American Literature because I believe the Amish came from Germany?

I still love these books and have read them over and over and I am 36! I have also enjoyed some biographies and other writings about Laura Ingalls Wilder, some of the real gritty stuff she didn't put in her children's books.

I posted this question a few months ago and got quite a few recommendations.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149086

Well, if you love that kind of thing, how about getting into some of the primary sources for history?

So Much to Be Done is a collection of women's diaries during the Westward Migration years.

Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey focuses on the diaries of those on the Oregon Trail.

A totally different time period, but similarly interesting read that I think you would enjoy is A Midwife's Tale.

For light reading (also I don't know if you are religious but this is a Christian series), All Together in One Place is a historical fiction novel about a real wagon train where all the men died and the women and children had to finish the journey to OR alone.

If you are really very interested, you could also look into historical reenacting and/or doing a historic sewing project. I wish you were near me - I'd love to get you involved at our Living History Museum as we have a great Apprentice Interpreter program for high school students. Look at history museums near you and see what they have for programming. You might find something you'd really enjoy!

My 16 yod enjoyed several of the different series by Janette Oke. They are Christian fiction and light-easy reads. If you have ever seen the Hallmark movies like "Loves Abiding Joy", they are based on her books.

That's interesting. I saw a movie with a name like that on Hallmark. Not sure if it's the same one, it had to do with a woman whose son died either at birth or very young (I started watching in the middle) and her struggle to get past it put a strain on her marriage. It was based in the 1800's at least.

My 16 yod enjoyed several of the different series by Janette Oke. They are Christian fiction and light-easy reads. If you have ever seen the Hallmark movies like "Loves Abiding Joy", they are based on her books.

My mom got me these when I was around 16... embarassingly enough I still have them and read them... and I am not a Christian but still loved these books.

Cather is great!

You might also enjoy Giants in the Earth by Rolvaag. It is a classic. He wrote it in Norwegian about Norwegian settlers so it is actually a translation but it is about the settlers in the Dakota territories. Very powerful!

I just today finished reading The Virginian by Owen Wister. Even though it is about cowboys it was wonderful! I think it was the first 'Western' and it is an old fashioned love story with lots of depth and wonderful character development. I loved it!

Try the novels by Bess Streeter Aldrich. She wrote in the 1920's about pioneer life in Nebraska. Many of the books were loosely based on her grandparents' experiences. They have a somewhat similar "feel" to the Little House books, but were actually written before they were.

A Lantern in Her Hand is a great one to start with. :)

I got A Lantern In Her Hand to begin with. I also got Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte even though it is not related to the West :)

Yay! Please let us know how you like A Lantern In Her Hand. There is also a sequel, if you end up enjoying it (though A Lantern In Her Hand is quite complete by itself).

Try the novels by Bess Streeter Aldrich. She wrote in the 1920's about pioneer life in Nebraska. Many of the books were loosely based on her grandparents' experiences. They have a somewhat similar "feel" to the Little House books, but were actually written before they were.

A Lantern in Her Hand is a great one to start with. :)

Wonderful and deeply moving. I think it is best read by a young adult or adult though. Not because of anything inappropriate, but because the themes would resonate with an older woman.

Guest Katia

If you like the Little House books, you will want to read Young Pioneers by Rose Wilder Lane (Laura's daughter). The story is her version of her grandparent's (Charles and Caroline Ingalls) young married years. I remember reading that Laura didn't like the book as she thought it was too explicit, but it was a big seller and well worth the read.