Menu

Learning to watercolor?

I am in love with the idea of keeping a watercolor journal, like the brilliant ones here. The only workshops in our area are extremely expensive ($500, ouch!), so I'm going to have to rely on books, videos and online resources to self-teach.

Do you have any suggestions? I've been considering buying Watercolor Basics, Creating Nature in Watercolor and Keeping a Nature Journal. Any personal recommendations or anecdotes on learning art as an adult would be wonderful!

I am learning to watercolour. And I want to do journals, eventually, amongst other things. I started teaching myself with Klutz book and then progressed to Ann Ellsworth's Watercolour Workbook. Meanwhile, I worked on drawing. Then I began getting library books and reading them. Joy of Watercolour was really good. You might even be able to begin with that one. I would have found it really helpful to watch someone early on so I could see what equipment they had and how they actually got the paint onto the paper. See if you can find a video from your library or find some youtube videos of people painting with watercolour. If your early efforts are discouraging, get the Ann Ellsworth book and do the projects in it. My paintings were about the same as they would have been when I was 5 at first, until I went through that book. They improved drastically within the first few pages. Try to draw something every day. You just have to do lots of drawing to learn to line everything up and get an outline to look right. I used expensive library books as inspiration. I found the people at the art supply store to be a helpful resource, too. I would explain what I was trying to do and they would tell me how to do it. It took awhile for me to find a paper I liked, brushes I liked, a pallette I liked, paint I liked... I am much more comfortable now that I have figured all that out. I have lessons now, but when I began, I was so awful that I decided not to spend money on lessons or good art supplies until I had improved. For me, that was a good decision. I benefit from the lessons much more now, I think, when I have a bit more control over the brush, know how to mix colours, and can draw.

Have fun!

-Nan

Yes, it was me.:) If the watercolor classes are anywhere near as good as the Fundamentals of Digital Photography that our DS is currently taking, it is well worth your time -- the classes are online and they are FREE! Once you sign up, you watch the class at the weekly timeslot and if you want to own it, you can purchase it as a download.

The watercolor class is 5 weeks long, each class is 2 hours long, and it starts THIS FRIDAY. Moira's link will take you right to it. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

• 2 years later...

I am learning watercolor also, and I have used "Watercolor Basics" book you mention. I think it is very good with precise clear directions on what to do. I looked over many books on watercolor from the library and this one is the best I found for a beginner like me. Buy the best supplies you can afford, especially paper. Good luck!

The best recommendation I can give is to use high quality paper and invest in high quality brushes. Cheap paper is difficult to work on and layers rub off when it's wet and you try to change something. In contrast, you can "scrub" a high quality paper like Arches with a stiff bristle brush dipped in water and get off all but the staining pigments if needed. You can also do more texture work, like scratching out white areas (for instance to be blades of grass), etc.

High quality brushes are also important to being able to do a variety of techniques well.

You can skimp some with paint quality when you're beginning, but I'd still recommend paint in tubes, squeezed out (just a touch) onto a palette. You can let any extra dry on the palette and rewet it again next time and that will work for most uses. Windsor Newton's student line is good.

You can get high quality without breaking the bank by using 40-50% off coupons from Michael's and A.C. Moore. They typically have one of those each week. You can get them online from their websites. You can use one per day.

• 1 year later...

I learn by watching others do painting. I like motivating videos & think they the best option for me.

I do agree with Laurie about using the tubes, good brushes & quality paper for painting.

I have updated the above post and added a video on painting a simple flower. Also see these lovely pink roses painted by Trevor Waugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAvvP-pb6CQ