Menu

Help preparing 8th grader for High School

My dd is 13 and winding up her first year of home school (at her request). For this year of 8th grade, we selected an online curriculum. Here's what I have learned: 7 years of public school and one year at home in an inflexible online academy has convinced dd that school is boring.

After reading TWTM, we are converting to a classical paradigm for next year. Herein lies my dilemma: dd wants no part of selecting elective subjects or any learning materials. She reads a lot on her own about her interests, but believes that attaching high school credit to any personal interest would spoil it. Any ideas on how to motivate my highly intelligent, but academically uninspired, dd?

Low on the classical learning curve,

Gina

My dd is 13 and winding up her first year of home school (at her request). For this year of 8th grade, we selected an online curriculum. Here's what I have learned: 7 years of public school and one year at home in an inflexible online academy has convinced dd that school is boring.

After reading TWTM, we are converting to a classical paradigm for next year. Herein lies my dilemma: dd wants no part of selecting elective subjects or any learning materials. She reads a lot on her own about her interests, but believes that attaching high school credit to any personal interest would spoil it. Any ideas on how to motivate my highly intelligent, but academically uninspired, dd?

Low on the classical learning curve,

Gina

Gina,

Welcome to the boards. :001_smile:

John Taylor Gatto (and possiby others) talks about having to deschool children that have been in a traditional school. Having her read one of Gatto's books, or Homeschooling for Excellence by the David and Micki Colfax, would be a great introduction into how she can take charge of her own education. Along with that, I would take her to a homeschool convention this summer, let her look at and handle some of the materials and talk to vendors/speakers about all of the possibilities.

If she likes to read, you have a huge leg up! Let her help you design a summer reading list. Ask her to take on a project of any sort -- sewing, art, gardening, science fair, Bible Bee, new business -- you name it -- and pursue it this summer. Go to the library for resources, find local experts that can help guide her. Your goal is for her to think outside that artificial box that she's put all *school* in. I would add in some fun activities for the next school year -- and possibly spontaneous. Trips to museums, special speakers, local plays and performances, historical sites, will all help to jazz up your school days. Similarly, take the books out of the house on some days. This is especially fun with olders. Go to the bookstore or coffee shop or park with an early morning sausage biscuit. One other very successful venture I did with my dd was to organize a book club. Your dd is old enough to help pick the books and even some of the lit guides.

Hope some of this helps. My oldest was in school for K and 1st and even at that young age, we experienced a bit of deschooling.

Lisa

Having my dc hs, then enter school for just over a year, then return to hs STILL required a good amount of deschooling.

I am currently wondering if my dd is depressed as our family has endured so many changes over the past year and a half. While she is extremely bright, as of late she appears low in the motivation. This is concerning me, but it could all just be the age, hormones, and stress. :confused:

I will be :bigear: on this thread.:grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for responding to my post. I had not thought about de-schooling, but am just about to read a Gatto book online.

An interesting thing happened this week which gave my daughter and me a new view of homeschool. I decided to have her stop 3 courses of her online program: I deem her work complete in two courses - even though all special projects are not complete. The third course, Bible, was sucking the life out of her personal spiritual journey - so now she reads the Bible and is encouraged to make personal application, rather than answer academic questions. The relief in our home is palpable! When she completes the last three courses, she will have 1/2 credit for Algebra I, 1/2 credit for Spanish II, and full year of 8th grade General Science. This experience helps us both to see how homeschool differs from public school.

Thanks for directing me to de-schooling!

Gina