Menu

Sequence for combining IEW and Lost Tools of Writing

Ds completed SWI-B this year. My plan was/is to do SWICC-B for 8th grade. For 9th I was thinking that we'd do the Elegant Essay and maybe Windows to the World. For 10th we'd do SWICC-C. BUT.....I am very interested in the Lost Tools of Writing. The comments I read on the board about the way it teaches the child how to think, so they know what to write about sounds like something I want to teach ds.

I have this lovely IEW plan, but am wondering where I would fit LTOW in it. I already have the SWICC-B on the shelf and I think it would be good to follow the SWI-B with that next year. Would it still make sense to do LTOW in 9th? Would the Elegant Essay be redundant after that? I guess I'm trying to figure out how to mesh these programs that all have strengths and build skills systematically. Any thoughts? Experience?

I have a rising 7th grader who is finishing SWI-A. At a two-day IEW workshop, I picked up SICC-B on IEW's recommendation for placement. Then, a few months later, I went to a one-day seminar on LTOW (which I had heard about through Andrew Pudewa) and purchased Level 1.

So that's pretty much my plan for the next couple of years: finish SWI-A, then do SICC-B, then LTOW 1. If LTOW works out for us, I suppose we'll continue with Level 2. If SICC-B only takes us a year, then I guess I'll be starting LTOW in 8th.

I haven't looked closely at the high-school-level IEW products, but I've heard the High School Essay Intensive is very good for SAT prep. Maybe we'll do that one as a seminar, too.

HTH.

--Brenda

Well...it seems to me from my research on the net today that it is recommended to go through the TWSS and then do LTOW. This would fit my plan for the next two years. We could do the SICC-B,which would put us through the TWSS completely, and then move onto LTOW. I've been reading the sample and I'm getting some of it. Maybe if I had the whole thing I'd do o.k. with it??

I'll have to see if anyone on the yahoo site knows if the Elegant Essay would be redundant after LTOW.

I'd like to get the High School Essay Intensive, also. Lots of good stuff out there.